Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have an 02 wrx that is over heating when you drive it. If you start it and let it idle, it doesn't get hot. If you drive it an 1/8 mile or so, it start to get hot...ANY IDEAS?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,591 Posts
Do you mean about the car or in general?

The following assumes there are no leaks. If you suspect a leak, pressure test the system. You don't mention a leak though, so:

If you have recently opened up the cooling system for whatever reason, suspect user error first and go about burping the system ad nauseam.

Check for circulation. If you have circulation, burp the system at least twice as thoroughly as you'd think is necessary and clear the radiator of all obstructions externally too.

If you don't have circulation, find out whether the obstruction is in a hose, in the radiator, or in the thermostat.

If you have recently opened up the cooling system for whatever reason, suspect user error first and go about burping the system ad nauseam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean about the car or in general?

The following assumes there are no leaks. If you suspect a leak, pressure test the system. You don't mention a leak though, so:

Check for circulation. If you have circulation, burp the system at least twice as thoroughly as you'd think is necessary and clear the radiator of all obstructions externally too.

If you don't have circulation, find out whether the obstruction is in a hose, in the radiator, or in the thermostat.

Thank You very much for your advise. I have a stupid question though.."How do you Burp the system?"

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,591 Posts
Thank You very much for your advise. I have a stupid question though.."How do you Burp the system?"
Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL and ALWAYS KEEP AWAY from the fans!!!!

The fans can injure you seriously and they will come on at any time!

See here:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have an 02 wrx that is over heating when you drive it. If you start it and let it idle, it doesn't get hot. If you drive it an 1/8 mile or so, it start to get hot...ANY IDEAS?
Have you checked the thermostat?

When mine went bad the car didn't overheat unless driven.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have an 02 wrx that is over heating when you drive it. If you start it and let it idle, it doesn't get hot. what happens if you overcharge your car ac? If you drive it an 1/8 mile or so, it start to get hot...ANY IDEAS?
Have you checked if there is any leak in your cooling system? It could cause overheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts