Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time poster.

2002 WRX Imprezza Turbo Wagon. My heat shield fell off 2 weeks ago. I put off installing it as to my knowledge it serves a minor purpose. Now at idle and getting in gear there's a loud exhaust sound beneath driver's & passenger's doors (mid pipe area), almost like my muffler is going. At highway speed isn't noticeable. The turbo boost seems ok, no discernible power loss.

I have a trip from Montreal back to Brooklyn and while I think can make it, am a bit concerned.

Anyone come across this or have suggestions? Any subie shops that can recommend along the way?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Exhaust leak. Either you lost a gasket. Or a hole in the pipe

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
No, don't use anything on the cat, and a hole after it won't damage it either, it will throw off readings from the downstream o2 sensor though and may end with a code. it's probably the area where the downpipe connects to the midpipe. I'll bet if you look you'll see a dead gasket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, don't use anything on the cat, and a hole after it won't damage it either, it will throw off readings from the downstream o2 sensor though and may end with a code. it's probably the area where the downpipe connects to the midpipe. I'll bet if you look you'll see a dead gasket.
Ok. I do feel a “draft” from under drivers door area. So your point about exhaust gasket or hole could be true.

Isn’t the cat behind though? Thought it was behind the down pipe but before the exhaust? No CEL yet! Been babying it and using Techron. Smooth idle just loud And getting into gear.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
The cat is in the downpipe itself just after the elbow off the back of the turbo in the vertical part

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
XJ is correct. The cat is on the vertical part of the downpipe. The cat looking part after that in the mid pipe is the resonator.

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
There is one in the up pipe and one in the down pipe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw XJman you nailed it. The gasket was gone. The shop wasn't comfortable working on the rusted flange. Oh well, will live it with for now.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Figured i did because I had the exact same leak and spent ages fighting it. When you do get to repairing it I suggest the grimmspeed extra thick gaskets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts