ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got my 02 wrx bot a year a go and as of recently I have gone and wrecked the block. I went to the local rockers and got an Ej25 single cam (if that makes a difference) and I've torn it down and put my heads on it( after getting the machine shop to work them abit for me) but now the car wont start... from what I understand from what I've read I can just use the sensors in the block I bought. Right? Or do i need to use my old ones... I plan on getting it tuned asap when some money frees up. Any help you guys and girls can give would be super awesome. As this is my daily and all 3 if my boh love going in daddy car
I'm just getting frustrated and dont want this to tant my Subie love. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
Yeah, stop while you are ahead and the block can be sold as working. The na shortblocks and the turbo shortblocks are not the same. Your compression is too high for one, the cylinder walls are too thin for another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you sir are a weath of great help thank you. It's people like your self that drive people from the car seen. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
Well good luck when you smoke the pistons in a few hundred miles and blow the cylinders out of round.

The advise i gave you is honest and true. The advise is also looking out for the best interest of your wallet. You've still got value in your functioning naturally aspirated shortblock you can use to buy any number of turbo short blocks.

The ej25 runs a long span of engines.

EJ255, 257, 251, 252, 253, 254, 25d, and probably others I don't know about. Just because it's the same series does not mean it's compatible. They have different bored, strokes, different deck styles (open, semi-closed), different pistons in both material and shape.

So, what answer did you want me to give you? You sound like you were hunting for a response and didn't get it.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,336 Posts
Well you sir are a weath of great help thank you. It's people like your self that drive people from the car seen. Thanks for the help
What?!

You’re not in the car scene.

You’re in the “someone very knowledgable just saved me thousands of dollars and countless hours of wasted effort” scene.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,336 Posts
Ok I calmed down.

Are you using a turbo car’s crossmember? Then it’ll drop in. IDK what your CR would be bc of which pistons and which gaskets you are using.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
Ok I calmed down.

Are you using a turbo car’s crossmember? Then it’ll drop in. IDK what your CR would be bc of which pistons and which gaskets you are using.
Even then unless it's a 255, it's open deck, inadequate pistons, and thin cylinder walls that will blow out head gaskets and go out of round if the pistons survive.

I'm wondering if he has a turbo block and doesn't know it. I highly doubt if he has a NA block it will survive past a peak boost situation more than once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is an NA block open deck. I have .50 head gaskets because that's want I read on another form they use with good success. But they never posted about the sensors they used.. what year/model car should I be looking to steal the block out of, seeing how the block I have isn't up to snuff. Like I said in my original post I'm new to subaru. And no one told me the blocks are that different. I was told it was like legos and they all work more or less the same.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
I'm just glad you didn't toast another block, it's an expensive and time consuming venture to replace one. However you do have a little mote value in that than a smoked block, so you can recoup a little cost.

I'm not sure about the sensors. I'd love to have that answer, but all I can do is guess. My guess would be the sensor needs to be one the ECU is familiar with. You can try and call turn in concepts in Cincinnati. They should be helpful, even if you are not close. They may also be able to source an affordable replacement block and ship it to you.

As for the block, you'll want an ej255 or 257. The 255 blocks were available in the wrx from 2006-2014. The 257 has been in all of the us stis.

I don't want to assume a budget, but if you contact flatiorn tuning they should still sell new shortblocks for the 255, and 257.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts