ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Æternum
15,142 Posts
The ECU/harness will make the vehicle illegal for operation on US roads. The car is already illegal, so maybe this isn't of concern to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The ECU/harness will make the vehicle illegal for operation on US roads. The car is already illegal, so maybe this isn't of concern to you.
Yeah it doesn’t bother me because I don’t have to get inspection or emissions in my state/county.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok so I went ahead and purchased an ej205 from JDMRacingMotors and I went ahead and also got a JDM ECU and harness so that I can utilize AVCS. I ordered a Tactrix open port 2.0 cable and I plan to use Shenji for tuning. Does it sound like i’m on the right track here?

Any thoughts or tips you guys might have?

·
Æternum
15,142 Posts
Sounds like a lot of effort, but if you enjoy doing it, who am I to argue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sounds like a lot of effort, but if you enjoy doing it, who am I to argue?
it’s only 8 pins i’ve gotta repin in the harness and then the TGV from original motor has to be transferred to the jdm motor.

·
Æternum
15,142 Posts
it’s only 8 pins i’ve gotta repin in the harness and then the TGV from original motor has to be transferred to the jdm motor.
OK, that's not too bad then.

I will say that with a JDM ECU, it would not be possible to complete the emissions process in any state that has emissions testing. That may reduce your ability to move or offload the car as an FYR.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Then why is there any question? This isn't a half ass your way through life project. You can detonate an engine in minutes if you fudge your way through this.

There isn't all that much power difference. Not enough you would even notice.

I wouldn't chance 3-5k to save 5 bucks. Thats just bad math. Do it right the first time, or this isn't a project you want to take on. These "junkyard find/build/blahblah" youtube channels have placed an unrealistic image in peoples minds of how this kind of thing works. You don't just hodgepodge a bunch of bs together and have a reasonably functioning car.
All good advice...what seems to have slipped through, moderator, is this "I’m just worried about the condition of the car after sitting for so long in his yard. This is the reason why i’m trying to get it back on the road for as cheap as possible so that I can confirm the car is even worth saving before I drop 4k on a built short block from IAG. " That aspect seemst o have been overun by engine advice.

Apparently he's somewhere in USA...where pollution and inspection for registration don't count but the condiiton of the car is of ultimate safety importance to self and public. ..Brake -rust, brake fluid condition, subframe rust, steering rack, gearbox if auto....and so on will all need attention and likely tear-down for safe drivig. He's looking at spending on an engine before getting the car itself 'right' and has followed that diversion ....

Having given commonsense answer earlier would you have some idea...if he gives State...where proper engineering examination of a car can be done (as for example with NRMA in Australia) before he gets too deeply into where he seems to be headed. The engine would be my last concern with a car 'left rotting' for several years.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts