Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently upgraded to a stage 2 setup on my 2002 wrx. This setup includes Turbo Xs Upipe and full turboback system with a high flow cat. Other mods include SPT cold ar intake and Cobb Ap Stage 2.

I have read some postings on this but have yet to solve my problem of boost spiking. I am hitting 18 psi at low rpms and the boost fluctuates continuously throughout the rpm range. I tried to loosen and tighten the wastegate, but doesn't seem to make any difference. I have the stock boost setup with stock restrictor pill.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Good news, everyone!
2,013 Posts
Seeing a lot of this happen lately, wonder what the hell is up. Check your intake and vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. If there isn't any, call up Cobb for some advice.

Do your boost pressures go up and down a lot? If it's searching like that it may be a problem with the tune, that is if your stock boost controller is hooked up properly with no leaks or cracks in the lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seeing a lot of this happen lately, wonder what the hell is up. Check your intake and vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. If there isn't any, call up Cobb for some advice.

Do your boost pressures go up and down a lot? If it's searching like that it may be a problem with the tune, that is if your stock boost controller is hooked up properly with no leaks or cracks in the lines.
Yes boost pressure fluctuates up and down ecspecially in higher gears. I believe the hoses are all in good shape, maybe the solenoid is bad? I just bought the AP tune brand new and plugged it in just about the same day. I don't see how it could be bad but possibly. I will have to call Cobb.

·
Good news, everyone!
2,013 Posts
Yes boost pressure fluctuates up and down ecspecially in higher gears. I believe the hoses are all in good shape, maybe the solenoid is bad? I just bought the AP tune brand new and plugged it in just about the same day. I don't see how it could be bad but possibly. I will have to call Cobb.
I wouldn't say it's bad, if it went bad you wouldn't see much boost at all. The fact that it's going up and down means that the BCS is trying to keep it at the pressure it's told to, but the WGDC isn't correct for the boost pressure you're targeting.

Not all OTS tunes will work correctly for every application. Call up Cobb and see what they suggest.

For now, revert to stock and wait until they tell you what to do with it. Luckily, your car will drive just fine without a tune and a TBE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get in touch with COBB?
I'm having the same problem except I'm running stage 2 with a cobb downpipe (with high flow cat) and a cobb short ram intake.

hoses look okay and there shouldn't be any leaks in the intake.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Just had a similar problem.

Try data logging with your ap, and make sure you do WGRC, waste gate duty cycle, and post it. My numbers were all over the place.

I took the easy way out and bought a friends turbo.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
You could try cleaning your grounds too. I had ongoing boost issues for three years, I had tried adding a grounding kit and everything. I think the problem was finally fixed by cleaning the ground behind where the stock air box goes. I think these eight year old cars are beginning to get some pretty grimy/corroded grounds on them.. and they weren't well grounded from the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts