ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after many weeks of dealing with this problem I think I've determined that my transmission and/or c-diff is shot. I've been experiencing a weird binding/gear slippage feeling/clunking more often when turning at low speeds. I replaced both front axles and it didn't help. Changed transmission fluid and noticed two big broken pieces of metal come out when draining.

I'm not looking to rebuild the transmission, its got nearly 150K on it and I'm assuming it would be cheaper to just get my hands on another used 5MT. Cost is the number one factor for me. I don't race or beat my car or any of that although I'm sure the previous owner did. I just need something that will keep this on the road as a reliable daily driver for another 2-3 years and won't hurt my wallet too much.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
Get a 2003-2005 used WRX transmission. The 2006-2007 WRX transmission has a 3.7 f/d with a differential modifier, so it won't be a direct bolt-on.

Perportedly, the 2008+ WRX transmission has a stronger gearset (and returns back to the 3.9 f/d), so if you can find one of those for cheap, that's the path I'd take.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also on the market for a new tranny for my 02 WRX. I found a 96 WRX tranny on Craigslist for $100 and was wondering if anybody knows how they match up. Also considering an STI 6-speed.

Any thoughts/input/advice would be much appreciated!

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
I'm also on the market for a new tranny for my 02 WRX. I found a 96 WRX tranny on Craigslist for $100 and was wondering if anybody knows how they match up. Also considering an STI 6-speed.

Any thoughts/input/advice would be much appreciated!
Where are you located that you found a 1996 WRX transmission?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where are you located that you found a 1996 WRX transmission?
Orlando, FL area...

Hoping to pick it up this weekend. I think I might need a rear differential to make it work... was hoping someone here might be able to confirm. I'm a complete lurker... I try not to bother/ask too much but couldn't find any helpful info.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Orlando, FL area...

Hoping to pick it up this weekend. I think I might need a rear differential to make it work... was hoping someone here might be able to confirm. I'm a complete lurker... I try not to bother/ask too much but couldn't find any helpful info.
You do know there weren't any WRX's in the states before 2002 right? And i doubt thats a direct bolt on replacement

·
Registered
8 Posts
You do know there weren't any WRX's in the states before 2002 right? And i doubt thats a direct bolt on replacement
What kind of idiot am I?!?! Of course... I know I knew that, but I got so excited when I saw it on Craigslist. The posting is titled "Subaru Impreza Transmission" but the description says:

"1996 subaru impreza wrx awd 5 speed transmission. Got this with a JDM engine and do not need it."

When I asked about whether it would fit, the guy said I'd need a 4.11 rear diff from a Forrester... thought that sounded weird...

I'M A DOOFUS!!!!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Not an idiot. We can all get excited when we see a potential good deal and forget the basics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts