Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after putting my summer rims on a week ago, I’ve felt this slight grinding sensation through the steering wheel coming from the passenger front area, kind of like a brake that’s stuck. I can’t really hear any noise like a grinding, clunking or anything like that. It only does it after I’ve been driving for a while at speed. I’ve thrown it into neutral to see if maybe it was transmission but the tranny was quiet and I don’t feel anything through the clutch or gearshift. It isn’t affected by turning, engine speed, etc... just vehicle speed after a while. I saw someone talking about a different grinding problem and it turned out to be a dust cover or something for the brakes when I searched for my problem.
I’m really concerned because the week before I put my new rims on, I had gotten stuck in some really deep hard snow and I did R to 1 with braking in between the gear changes to stop the tires before changing direction. But after a while I heard and felt a kind of grinding that I couldn’t locate where it was coming from but stopped as soon as I had gotten free, so I was thinking it may have just been a wheel that had dug down to pavement. I checked all my boots, brake lines, etc... and looked at the brakes just to see how far worn they were since I was putting my new rims on and I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary for me. Also my brakes weren’t really effective after I had gotten free but they returned to normal after a while so I figured I just cooked them good plus all the packed snow in there.
Any ideas what could be the source of the grinding feeling?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,573 Posts
You've not asked a question but let me ask one anyway: what happens when you switch wheels back? Or when you swap one wheel for another?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've not asked a question but let me ask one anyway: what happens when you switch wheels back? Or when you swap one wheel for another?
I haven’t tried. I’d have to swap all 4 out though because my summers are 17 and winters are 16

1 - 3 of 3 Posts