Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going guys 1st post on these forums looking to join the subie fam... I purchased a 2002 wrx bugeye... 96k on body apparently 55k on motor no paperwork but came from a local garage /dealer..

I paid 4300 which seems like a steal considering the tires are basically new and he gave me a set of stock rims/ tires as well.
Mods are full turbo back exhaust *unamed but sounds amazing lol..
Downpipe is stock
Hyper flow air intake
Hks BOV
Manual boost controller

I’m no professional when it comes to cars in general but I’d love to learn from you guys l... I’m Slumped on $$ currently from buying this car but I plan on keeping it a DD and just roughly looking to get around 250/300Whp...

The guy that I bought the car from said the boost is turned all the way down on the MBC I’m reading 6-7psi which still really kicks ... but I know these cars run 13/14.5 stock so my question is where should I start.... my buddy says it smells sort of rich but that’s always better then lean. The motor feels solid and idles 0.5rpm and starts on a dime every morning.

I had the car roughly 2 weeks and just wondering what you guys would recommend

As in should I get an Accessport eventually or a pro tune... I’m going to need a AFR gauge and I’m sure I’ll go away with the MBC and go EBCS ... i have paper work for new turbo * stock and Master clutch 3K miles old...

I try to stay off the boost cause it’s not tuned and I don’t know if it will hurt anything... you figure it wouldn’t since it’s 7lbs.... any opinions

Sorry for long post but just figuring what you guys would recommend for step #1

Ty
Corey

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
OK... where do I begin?

Congrats on the bugeye! They are great cars and really a cinch to work on compared to the newer models.

Let's try to figure out exactly what mods you have...

You mentioned Turboback, but then stock downpipe. The downpipe is a component in "Turboback" exhaust, so you either have an aftermarket downpipe or an aftermarket catback.

Your direction is solid, and (with my experience) the BOV needs to go and you'll need a WBO2 sensor to map that intake. Ask yourself -- are you happy with basic mods and learning a bit of road tuning? If so, I'd highly recommend the Tactrix OP2.0 over an AccessPort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about that, Everything Except downpipe is Aftermarket... Dp Still has converter

I plan on purchasing https://www.protuninglab.com/dp-wrx...MIwcT9mJDs4AIVBZKPCh0gTgwBEAQYBCABEgKjyPD_BwE

Sad Face That i should remove my BOV, It sure sounds nasty lol....

I plan on keeping the car fairly stock... Just basic bolt ons

ill look into that tactrix Tune! Cobb seemed very basic and easy which i like plus the basic monitoring your Motor specs.

I appreciate your response

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
The tactrix isn't a tune. It's the interface to use some open source tuning options.

There are aftermarket downpipes with cats. Having one doesn't really identify if it is factory or aftermarket. Can you by chance get a photo of it?

Yeah blow off valves sound like something, that something it's usually fueling inaccuracies. Because of how your ecu monitors air and controls fuel dumping the air in the intake manifold and intercooler out to the atmosphere instead of back into the intake messes with the fueling calculations. Because the air is already metered by the mass air flow sensor and the ECU is providing fuel based off of that you will wind up with periods of rich afr after shifting.

Although in theory rich is better than lean, over time it can still cause plugs to foul and carbon to build from incomplete combustion leading to misfiring. That misfire is not welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooh I see, Ty for that I definitely got a lot a research to do... Here are some of the pics I got my buddy that looked at it said clearly the motor was out of it cause the engine bay was sanded and painted and the wiring is well sorta all over the place hard to see in pic cause it’s dark but here is what’s under the hood

Thanks for quick response too!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Oooh I see, Ty for that I definitely got a lot a research to do... Here are some of the pics I got my buddy that looked at it said clearly the motor was out of it cause the engine bay was sanded and painted and the wiring is well sorta all over the place hard to see in pic cause it’s dark but here is what’s under the hood

Thanks for quick response too!
Looks like the stock downpipe to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok I could have figured... I appreciate It!
I’ll look for a DP in the future

should my first upgrade be
Dp
AFR sensor/gauge
EBCS
.. I’m just confused why it’s only running 6lbs I know the guy said he turned it down cause it’s not running a tune but stock is 13.5 or so.. sorry for newbie questions lol. Just want to make sure my baby is safe and healthy. Unfortunately I don’t have hundreds to take to a shop that will diagnose and just check it out... nothing is free they say ? can’t blame em

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
The front mount intercooler was a foolish choice on behalf of the previous owner. If I were in your shoes, I would get rid of the FMIC and BOV in favor of the stock hardware.

.. I’m just confused why it’s only running 6lbs I know the guy said he turned it down cause it’s not running a tune but stock is 13.5 or so.. sorry for newbie questions lol. Just want to make sure my baby is safe and healthy.
Then that's exactly what happened. When an MBC is used the ECU completely loses boost management capability -- so it's either the MBC or the boost line plumbing to the MBC.

Running an MBC isn't the end of the world, but you should be constantly monitoring key engine parameters like boost and IAM to ensure that the system is running smoothly.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Be careful fiddling with the manual boost controller. Stock, the '02 had 7PSI boost max in first, something a little more in second, and didn't hit 13 until third and fourth. Fourth and fifth at WOT will boost creep easily to 18 plus if the MBC is set to 12ish on cold days. It has been 15+ years since I put my MBC in, but I *think* I set it to 12.5. Might be a few really old threads on setting MBC on the bugeyes. It is very highly recommended to not use a MBC without a good boost gauge to carefully monitor while driving.

I ran MBC, uptime, downpipes, and axle back on mine. I pulled the MBC off during autocross season, though, to keep within the STX class rules.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome thanks for the feedback guys... Appreciate everyone’s opinion, I will not touch my MBC I know how when the weather changes Etc it varies... local tuner said he wouldn’t even touch it until I get EBCS so I’ll be ordering one soon and hopefully can get everything straightened out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts