ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am about to purchase a WRX. However, I am stuck between either the 02 "bug eye" version or the 04 "blob eye" version. Can anyone tell me which one I should choose so I can finally buy one :tongue:? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I recommend a 2003. You'll need to do some searching to find out when the transmission gear width was changed. 2002's are known to have "glassbox" transmissions. However, if you don't shift like an ape - they'll be ok.

Revmatching is key.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
03 are my favorite

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,210 Posts
The stock, never-modified one with full service history receipts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The widening of the gearbox makes me nervous with the 03. Am i going to have difficulty with that? Any other suggestions on what year to get? Also, what is the main difference between an 03 and an 02? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
2004 -05 imo. They have the somewhat beefier transmissions of the late 2003.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
'04/'05 ftw...no contest

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it really worth the extra money though? There is a big price increase from the 02/03 to the 04/05. I mean I could use that extra money to buy some goodies for the 02.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd take the 2002 wrx. Although I may be a little biased since I own one. I added quite a bit of hp to my wrx before changing to a custom transmission. I never had my original break on me but don't launch it too much once you do add some hp to it or you will.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thanks. I think I am leaning to an 02. I plan on adding some hp than once when im a little into it, Ill put up some money for a better transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts