ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
My first post on this site. Didn't find any help from my country (Estonia) forum. Hope your more generous:)
Problem is that at some times ( 1 out of 10 or 20, depends) my car won't start correctly. It will start 2-3 times for 1 second and shut off. After that no signs of starting, but the starter is pulling the engine. Usually it has started after 10-20 minutes of waiting.
Can it be that the fuel pump is pumping too much gas into the engine, because I kind of smell the gasoline after starting?

BW
Tõnnu

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Usually this is a cam or crank position sensor. I'd start with the crank position sensor because it's easier to get to. It's right under the alternator.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I agree with above. First step would be to clean off the sensor faces of both. Next would be replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Open and cleaned both sensors. Camshaft sensor was changed by last owner 4 months ago and it seemed like new.
But crank sensor seemed liked peace of sh*t. It was all covered with somekind of black thing, but it came off pretty easily. No wonder that it could have been the problem.
So far everything seems to work now.
Good job guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.
Tactrix Openport didn't show any problems at all.
May the problem be in IAC valve? Im asking, because sometimes something goes crazy in my car and revvs are changing between 1500- 2500 rmps, doesen't matter if idle or I'm driving. They will go down after draiving 10 min or so.
If this is not the thing thats causing the problem then my brain is going to blow.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
Without the rev symptom I'd have said "no;" however with the rev symptom I believe the IAC is worth pursuing. Get yourself a new little o-ring thingy from a dealer and have a look. It certainly won't hurt.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
Hold on, I'm searching for a IACV DIY thread and will link it if/when I find it.

EDIT: OK here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781242

The "thingy" is called a "gasket" it turns out. The part no. given in the (dated) thread is 22659AA120. You should be able to source one with that number.

EDIT 2: Saw your query on another thread. I recommend cleaning the valve rather than replacing it. You may not need to replace it. See the link above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts