Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I installed some LED footwell lights in my 2020 STI. They work perfectly, but now all of a sudden when I turn on my car, i get a message saying “MFD needs to be checked” on my multi-function display. In addition to this, my AC controls don’t work anymore so I have no AC. I’m thinking that it either happened from tapping into a fuse or it happened when I fished the wire for the LEDs under the dash to the other side of the car. I could have accidentally unplugged something. Has this happened to anybody else? If so how do I fix this?

·
Super Moderator
11,766 Posts
Body control units can be finicky. I'd start by tracing wires and making sure what you tapped into is getting the correct voltage and current then following them to their respective connectors and verifying they are secure. It may be the led causes a heavier load on a particular circuit than the bcu wants to see so it freaks out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Body control units can be finicky. I'd start by tracing wires and making sure what you tapped into is getting the correct voltage and current then following them to their respective connectors and verifying they are secure. It may be the led causes a heavier load on a particular circuit than the bcu wants to see so it freaks out.
I checked the voltage on it before I tapped into it and it was around 14v. I chose to tap into it because it turns on and off with the car. It was the ACC on the pin out guide. If I disconnect the battery to reset the car, would that reset it and cause it to go back to normal?

·
Æternum
16,138 Posts
Exactly what wire did you tap?

Some of those can be finicky to the current draw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday, I installed some LED footwell lights in my 2020 STI. They work perfectly, but now all of a sudden when I turn on my car, i get a message saying “MFD needs to be checked” on my multi-function display. In addition to this, my AC controls don’t work anymore so I have no AC. I’m thinking that it either happened from tapping into a fuse or it happened when I fished the wire for the LEDs under the dash to the other side of the car. I could have accidentally unplugged something. Has this happened to anybody else? If so how do I fix this?
Hey did you ever get this issue solved? I had installed 2 tiny led pods last night, I was driving and my aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers lost power and my a/c is out

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I ran into a similar issue after installing Wideband & boost gauges getting power from “ACC”. Gauges work, but “check MFD” came on and no HVAC.
If I remove the add a fuse and re install fuse to factory everything works.
I tried to get power from “Cigar” fuse, and gauges work but the Cigar/12v plug will not operate with the add a fuse in place. Removing the Add a fuse and everything works again.
It appears the BCM is quite sensitive to any non factory draw tapped in. Haven’t figured out a work around yet, but figured I’d update with what I’ve learned thus far..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts