Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a year ago decided to pull the trigger on a WRBlue cvt WRX, yes you read that right Im at this point into my life with 2 kids where I decided to go easy way automatic and so far I love it.

Im putting love into this car the most I can, even though its a 4 seasons daily driver, trying to keep it clean in our harsh environment. My newly constructed house (~2yo) made my dreams come true, to the point where I have a nice space to tweak my cars.

I love taking my time when doing something, carefully inspecting, cleaning, rustproofing on maintenance. But with 2 kids on diapers time is hard to come by…

Still I love the results so far and I will keep improving the car!

Picture from when I bought it. Vendor wasnt the best at taking picture! Lol also the car been doing a lot of dusty roads!

Up to date Build;
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•{ Body, Interior & Dress-up }•
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•Subaru Rain Deflectors
•Weathertech F&R Floormats
•RallyArmor Mudflaps FR.only
•Partial Debadge
•Complete Debadge (TBD)
•Duckbill Spoiler wrb
•Roof Window spoiler CF
•OLM CS under Side Skirts CF
•Front Lip CF style
•OLM Rear under bumper Canard CF
•Perrin Fender Covers
•Perrin Pulleys Cover
•Grimmspeed Radiator Cover
•Climate Control Knurl Red Anod
•Paddle Shifter extensions Red anod
•Park brake handle CF/Red anod
•CS style Front Grill CF
•CF Headlight Amber delete
•TBW skid plate
•Boomba Battery Tie
•CF Gear Shifter Cover Trim (TBD)
•CF Steering Cover Trim (TBD)
•FastWrx AP mount
•Morimoto 3.0 LED Headlights
•Morimoto LED Foglights
•Subispeed LED 3rd Brake Light
•LED Licence lights
•LED Reverse bulbs
•LED corners Bulbs
To come; CF fuse box cover, Oil cap, Brake fluid cap, Front bumper & Hood respray,

••••••••••••
•{ Engine }•
••••••••••••
•GS Stealth Box Intake
•Perrin Turbo Inlet
•GS EBCS
•Cusco Double Catch Cans
•Accessport ecm
•Touge Tuning Protune
•Perrin Charge Pipe
•GS Top Mount Intercooler
•GS Pitch stop
•Perrin Pitch Stop Mount Brace

•••••••••••••
•{ Cooling }•
•••••••••••••
•Mishimito CVT Cooler
•Mishimito Ancillary Hoses Kit (TBD)
To come; Radiator Hoses, Slim Fans, Turbo blanket, Alum. Overflow Tank,

•••••••••••••
•{ Exhaust }•
•••••••••••••
•1320s Muffler Deletes

••••••••••••••••••••••
•{ Brakes & Wheels}•
••••••••••••••••••••••
•Motegi Traklite 18x8 (Winter)
•Pirelli Sotozero runflat 245/40 (Winter)
•Enkei TS10 18x8.5 (Summer)
•Toyo Proxes R1R 245/40 (Summer)
•Brembo Front/Rear
•Stainless Brake lines
•Perrin Brake Cylinder Stopper

••••••••••••••••••
•{ Suspensions }•
••••••••••••••••••
•Perrin Steering Lock-Down
•Perrin Strut Tower Brace

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was really impressed from that 268hp FA20dit. My current car was a 2010 FXT with Cobb Stage2 ots, that fxt made lot of power too but damn the Rex feeled something really different on the good side. Probably the transmission and/or Direct Injection TwinScroll… My first impression was the Rex spooling boost effortless instantly.

I was satisfied with “stock” power but the the braking wasnt matching the engine. (I must say that brakes were worn out on 4 corners tho…anyway) I wanted it to brake as fast as it accelerate, so here’s comes the Brembo. Also I didnt want the huge 6 pots that you usually see on the VA STI because they require too large of a rim to my liking, we have 4 seasons here including deep snow winter, I wanted something that can breath in the wheel archs.

Brake job done, now sitting on new brakes, lines, wheels.

Did the Duckbill install during the same time. That has become my favorite type of spoiler, especialy for a WRX non-STI.

I could not stop myself from installing 3 pop Rivets to my new Duckbill spoiler, I can’t just live with the fact a spoiler is holding with glue/tape lol. Also sealed the wing with clear silicone seallant.

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Stock front grill was broken when I got it. Probably a bird or something hitting it on the highway who knows, you really had to look close to see but hey that was the perfect excuse to change it!
Did the CVT cooler while the bumper skin was dropped.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changed the grill and added a lip!

I kinda copy pasted the classic double cans setup with parts I sourced myself, later on I will upgrade my hoses with -AN fittings and nice tubings but for now it’s cheap and effective.

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,530 Posts
Sorry, your post was automoderated I manually approved it for you.

Brakes look nice, be sure you shop around for the right pad for you use. On bbks they some times have a heat range much too high for street driving

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry, your post was automoderated I manually approved it for you.

Brakes look nice, be sure you shop around for the right pad for you use. On bbks they some times have a heat range much too high for street driving
I think mine are “Posiquiet” something within those line, I think they are made for oem. Not sure though, and since you mention it, that something I should confirm. I get your idea, some must be for tracks day…

Here goes the confirmation picture, is it a good choice for street?

She loves the WRX too!

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Using some BRP parts I had an idea of making a support for winter accessorie, I hated having it laying around in the cab! Lol
Rear Strut Brace installed.

Cleaned the trunk, looking for any trace of rust, then applied Anticorrosive lubricant.

Same treatment here, removed fender liners to clean & rustproof. It’s crazy how only 4 winters can damage a car without you noticing. Going trough this process because I had the car when it was 4yo already, I like to “know” my cars inside/out lol. For that you need remove their clothes

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wanted an intake, because I knew how nice it sounds on the FXT, hearing the turbo spool & bypass valve is awesome… anyways I didnt know I was going for that much parts lol (well I probably knew like everytime but didnt want to “see” clear), an intake sounds simple but when you do everything that goes with it its a different story. Let’s just say I ended up on dyno, the sad part is that I will need to go back and pay again when I get a full exhaust, right now I only got muffler delete.

CVT Conservative tune, 278whp/254tq, tuned at Touge Tuning.
I always prefered longevity over power.

.Grimmspeed Stealth box intake
.Perrin Inlet Hose
.Grimmspeed Boost controler
.Perrin Charge Pipe

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
When the car was tuned, I’ve been told to look forward removing EGR, which I don’t really want to. The reason for is increased air temperature into the manifold when WOT.

With that in mind, I already knew what was my mods TO COME;
Improved TMIC
Pitch stop mount while the tmic is off.
Below is my dyno sheet for the stage1
View attachment 330221

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Grimmspeed Pitch Stop Mount.

Edit: ATTENTION 15-16 owner’s!
After installing the GS pitch stop mount I learned something really important about the firewall oem mount; its known to be fragile. Seen some with stock pitch but most of the time they break with aftermarket (more solid) mounts. I was really scared and glad I did not run the car on the street since install, inspected and mine looks ok, there is couple solder points to check or metal tearing. Perrin is making a reinforcement which I am clearly putting on even if it’s overpriced to me. I will keep updated.

Edit: While trying to install the perrin mount reinforcement I found out the kit wasnt bolt-on for CVT models even if it is unclear while purchasing. Actually the reason why is because there is no clutch master cylinder which is making a great part into the attachment to firewall, acting as a spacer/shim. After hours bitting my nerves trying to use washers and sorts to make it fit I decided to give up and find a better alternative to make it work.

Sourced some M6 panel nuts to use because there is no “studs” from the clutch part.
After sleeping over it, I dicided to order a manual wrx clutch master cylinder to cut with a grinder. I wasnt satisfied with any washers or bushings because they were hard to install but also wasnt “touching” the surface as much as the cylinder design.
So here it goes;

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, wondering if I should reset ecu learnings tru AP since I just swapped winter wheels
Technicaly they are same specs size wise, they do feel a lot more different though… 245/40R18

Should I go with iridium from ngk website? napa will be my supplier.
It says I need stock#96024
ILKAR8H6

My question is they mention gap is;
0.024”
So do I really have to take attention to this if I really stumble uppon the exact part #96024??

Do you have a factory service manual? I would recommend checking the gap on the plugs and making sure they are to spec. If you search the forum you'll find a gap thread that I provided to another user. If not let me know, I have a FSM for the 2015 at home.

When I ordered plugs for the 3.6R I ordered the exact part from the manual on subaruonlineparts.com. didn't want to mess around with the fake stuff being out there. Incidentally they came pregapped, I checked them anyway, and all were in spec.

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Latest addition is some Extensions to the shifters (Will post more pictures when the clamps are removed)

I must say that for such a little detail I can’t wait to try them. For me I think it will help a lot shifting a low speed turns when the steering is really offcenters… i.e left/right turns from a stop sign.

Edit: More updates to come for this little project of red accessories.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts