Subaru WRX Forum banner

Don't know what I am doing. Need new speakers.

28K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Fox05 
#1 ·
So, about a month ago I purchased a 2004 WRX. It wasn't until I got it home, did I realize that the dealer failed to mention the sub under the passenger seat. Hey, :thumbsup: It also has the tweeters in the doors.

Now, I must say, this stereo is terrible. I previously owned a 1997 Nissan Altima, and that stereo was so much nicer. Which is sad really. :rotfl:

So the problem is, I do not know jack about car stereo. Home audio, I'm golden, I know what I am doing. Car stereo, I am :confused1

So what do you guys recomend I do, I do not want to go as far as putting a sub in the trunk, but I would like to upgrade the front and rear speakers. What should I look for, what size do I need, etc. I looked at Crutchfield, but honestly, I just want someone to tell me what to buy.

Will 6 1/2" Infinity Kappas work in the front, with 4" in the back? I've heard good things about those. Are those my only size options? Do I need an amp? How much work would a nice Sub in the Trunk be? I want to keep the stock head unit. I like the look and don't want to draw attention to it.

#2 ·
i believe crutchfield has the OEM speaker sizes in a big list. Find out what the WRX oem size is and go from there. Infinity Kappa's are very very nice, but are a little expensive. before you buy from crutch, always check out ebay. I got 4 speakers for my old 240sx for $100 and thats how much they cost normally for each pair. After that, you should be in good shape. Get some good, heavy gauge wiring as well. thats as far as i would take it anyway, I'm not sure how much boom-boom you like.

#3 ·
I was always a fan of the Infinity Kappa, expensive but good. Then......aaaahh I heard Boston Acoustics component speaker, my god they make a good sounding speaker, expensive as well. If you want the good stuff, I would get BA, I have heard good things from others as well, and the bottom line is the sound super good.

#5 ·
wow, I have always gone to crutchfield for speaker sizes on all the cars I've owned, and because of this thread I went to crutchfield for the sizes on my '02, and to my surprise, crutchfield tells me my car only has rear door speakers :confused1

hmmmmm

anyone know the stock speaker sizes before I have to go out and measure my own :)

chris

#9 ·
are you changing the stock head unit or not? if you arent then it really doenst make a difference what goes in. the stock unit sucks. the problem with the WRX is how small the doors are. make sure you check mounting depths on anything you buy. MOST speakers will not fit into the doors!! i suggest alpine type S in the back because it has an adjustable tweeter. it lets the backseat passengers still hear the highs of the songs. its awesome. also get some new components for hte front. the stock ones suck. the magent and cone are the worst things on the market. go to your local best buy and ask about what can be mounted in the car then do some research to get the best deal.

#12 ·
Sell the factory sub if you plan to upgrade the speakers.

I bought the kapas and they sound great I also got a JVC mp3/Cd head unit 230 watt and an Infinity Bass link 2 self powered 250 watt sub and the sound is awsome. Clear with plenty of bass. I want the sound in the car and I am not looking to compete or to please the people I pass by.

The infinity sub mounts in the trunk perfect like it was made for it. It also comes with a remote bass gain that is the size of a lighter and could be fitted naywhere.

#18 ·
CertainPhate said:
no they are 6.5 and 5.25 in every WRX from 2000-2005. i dont know what year you have but in everyone elses subie its been these measurements. and a tweeter in the front
Are you kidding me? Do you even own a WRX?
I have personally installed 6½" components in my front doors, and the stock sizes are definately not 6½". The upgraded speakers are probably different, but I am talking about stock sizes.
If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe other WRX owners

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839110&highlight=stock+sizes
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454632&highlight=stock+sizes
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88867&highlight=stock+sizes
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53437&highlight=speaker+sizes
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67594&highlight=stock+sizes

#19 ·
I just installed some Diamond Audio D6 components in my WRX. Just let me say that 6 1/2 inch is a b**** to install.

They did not fit at all, and I needed to buy a mounting spacers for the speakers. They are 1 inch but I had to do some custom work to the spacers just so the speakers would fit right.

I've heard anywhere from 5 and 1/2 to 6 and 1/2 will fit though. Just have fun installing the sixes.

Oh and don't keep the stock head unit. I upgraded to 9855, but that's costly. Just get something decent. And while i'm blabering on about the WRX's sound system, it isn't the best car to mod the sound until ur done with performance IMHO.

#20 ·
WRXKenzo said:
I just installed some Diamond Audio D6 components in my WRX. Just let me say that 6 1/2 inch is a b**** to install.

They did not fit at all, and I needed to buy a mounting spacers for the speakers. They are 1 inch but I had to do some custom work to the spacers just so the speakers would fit right.

I've heard anywhere from 5 and 1/2 to 6 and 1/2 will fit though. Just have fun installing the sixes.

Oh and don't keep the stock head unit. I upgraded to 9855, but that's costly. Just get something decent. And while i'm blabering on about the WRX's sound system, it isn't the best car to mod the sound until ur done with performance IMHO.

#21 ·
Diamond Audio are great speakers, the D6 line is huge. That's what I will be putting in my subie soon. The problem is once you get them spaced you'll probably have to worry about them hitting the door panel when their playing. Diamond Audio along with other high end companies like Focal have what they consider an oversized 6. All aftermarket speakers even though they say they are 6's will measure different sizes. If you buy any compaies lower end speaker in a 6 it will most likely just drop in.

#22 ·
wrxintegrations said:
Diamond Audio are great speakers, the D6 line is huge. That's what I will be putting in my subie soon. The problem is once you get them spaced you'll probably have to worry about them hitting the door panel when their playing. Diamond Audio along with other high end companies like Focal have what they consider an oversized 6. All aftermarket speakers even though they say they are 6's will measure different sizes. If you buy any compaies lower end speaker in a 6 it will most likely just drop in.
I wished they just dropped in! That sounds so nice. Actually the speakers are about 1 centimeter away from the door, so when there is a song with banging bass it kind of rumbles the door. I think I need to do some more customizing.

#23 ·
Focal 500~1000ish
Boston Acoustics 400-900ish
MbQuart up to 1200
Eclipse dunno.
Diamond Audio 350ish and up

All really nice speakers...All really expensive

Your best bet however is just to buy front speakers and spend like you are buying fronts AND rears.

Boston pros are in the range of 550 and sound fantastic. Problem is you'll then hear the 1000.00 focals .....and want nothing less lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.