Subaru WRX Forum banner

STi + 300zx = Pwnage

2K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  ansonowicz 
#1 ·
Whats up guys,

Im sunny from chino hills CA. Soon to be a LICENSED driver on the street. Finally i can drive with papers lol. Anywayz, always been fond of cars and love driving anything i can get my hands on. I know fairly much for a young kid about cars and i hope to fit in the cracks here lol. Anywayz, now onto the STi/WRX.

I was thinking about getting a WRX or STi if lucky, thing is i cant find anything cheap enough. Im looking at the 300zx now. Probably you guys would know where to get the best deals on Subarus then me so care to share the secrets? Looking at the STi and WRX on craigstlist and ebay and stuff are kind of expensive. I think the lowest i found was 10k for a JDM STi about an 02. But id appreciate it if i could find somethin less. Any great trustable sites maybe would be of help.

Also wanting to know what you guys think about the 300zx Or what you think another car for a speed junkie like me would drive. I like drifitng, or trying to drift lol. I wrecked 1 car before chipped the rim about the size of your fist and let the airbags breath but thats about it. Mustangs, haha, not made for throwing it sidewayz. Anywayz, not looking for a drift car really but i dont mind.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

:baaa:

See less See more
#2 ·
None of the above. Your a new driver, get something less "extreme". The 300Zx is probably worse for a new driver. If you must have one of the above get a WRX. You've already wrecked on car doing something stupid which proves your probably not ready for more. You talk about drifting and I'm guessing your talking about drifting on the street, which is less than stupid. I'm usually nice about threads like this but it is too much.

I just saw your post in the "ticket count" thread which proves my point.

#24 · (Edited)
+1, I read the "ticket count" thread, too. This guy sounds "EXTREME", therefore his ride needs to be extremely "EXTREMEEEEEE."

(Think of the guys from Harold and Kumar):

Extreme Driver #1: Dude, I just got a 6 point ticket. Man, that was so FCKN EXTREME!
Extreme Driver #2: Dude, on a scale of 1 to 10 with a 1 being not so extreme and a 10 being extremely EXTREME, I give that a 9.5!!!!! Yeah!!!

:: Multiple high fives::

#3 ·
first, I really hope cavallino is wrong and you dont mean drifting on the street because hes right that is beyond stupid. the only place drifting should be done is on a track with an instructor or a large open lot where you have permission to do so and there will be nothing to hit. second, youve wrecked a car and you dont even have your licence? youve been pulled over 4 times? (i read the ticket count thing too) im not sure you can handle anything with speed, not to mention the way your talking shows your maturity level. if you absolutely have to get one of the above, get a wrx at MOST. youre going to be 16, you dont need anything like an STi. I really dont like to bash on people often but your post just kinda ticked me off a bit, and im not too short tempered. Im honestly not sure if youre mature enough for anything fast. I kinda feel that its people like you that give teenage drivers a bad rep and cause the rest of us to suffer. gain some maturity before you get on the road.

anyway to actually help you just look on a website like www.autotraders.com and if 10K is too expensive for you then look for another car because finding even a wrx in good condition for less than 13K (even thats stretching it) is very hard to do.

#4 ·
Its cool guys, i figured id get some criticism. No i wasent street drifting, it was in a parking lot near butterfield ranch. I slammed it in the curve after about an hour of drifting it i lost it and went to wide. Sure im sure many if you belive my maturity level is real low, of course im a teenager, and i know many of you think we will be the reason of accidents. I dont argue, but i dont like to brag because i have nothing to brag about compared to your levels. Im a good driver, i know my skills. I was real immature about driving when i was 11 and when i first started driving. At 13 i learned stick shift and have been driving it since. Yeh i screwed the rim and the airbag on a mustang no excuses, it was stock, heavy, and of course you will crash a few times in your life.

And about the ticket thread, never got a ticket, those were just occaisons where i was pulled over. Yeh im young, immature sure call it what you want. But you really cant say you didnt try, or want, or did, when you were young aswell. Probably learned the hard way.

Thanks for the link man. Ill check it out. I missed out on the oppertunity for the JDM 02, i saw it one day, woke up the next morning and someone bought it off ebay.

#5 ·
how old are you anyway? And where are you from?

if 10k is too much for you, I'd recommend you start looking for a different car. Subaru's are great and if that is the way you want to go, and I'd start looking for a 2.5 RS or similar. A WRX or STi is a ways down the road at this point for a young inexperienced driver. Same with the 300zx.

Don't take the young driver bashing too hard. Members here are just protective and don't want to see you seriously hurt, killed, or hurting someone else. We all know you think you're invincible right now and that "everybody gets in a crash sometime" but usually it's an unfortunate accident and not after doing something stupid on the road.

Finally as a community request if you do end up picking up a WRX/STi (or any Subaru for that matter) please refrain from adding any of the following: neon, chrome, blow-off valves, tire flies, melon shooter exhaust, or 2f2f style body graphics. Then learn the "search" button.

#28 ·
Members here are just protective and don't want to see you seriously hurt, killed, or hurting someone else.
i could care less if some of these idiots kill themsleves doing something stupid. one less idiot driving on the road

what i do care is if they take innocent people with them...thats what bothers me.

to the OP....i suggest you get yourself a nice used Honda Civic, put an intake on it and call it a day. its in your price range. After you've had a couple years of experience get yourself the wrx.

#6 ·
honestly man kids like you are a big part of why my insurance rates are insanely high and cops like to pull me over even when I'm going under the speed limit.

Here's a tip for you, since I doubt you're going to all of a sudden become a responsible driver. (your few posts prove that you're not...) Don't post all the dumb things you do on these boards... For the most part it's a mature community. We love cars, not being wreckless. Most of us race only on tracks. Most of us do not want to log in and read about the street racing stunts you're sure to pull in the future. And none of us want to log in and NOT see your posts because you killed yourself in a dumb accident.

If you get a Subie, please please please please please learn to drive responsibly. I don't know any 16 yr olds that can afford one on their own dime, so i'm assuming your parents are buying you a car? Don't disappoint them buy doing something dumb. If you get a WRX, be responsible with it. Subie owners are generally known as being more mature drivers than most other hobbyist cars. Don't spoil the image....

I'm trying really hard not to come across as flaming you or being a jerk. It's just scary reading a 15 yr old who's admitted to being pulled over 4 times WITHOUT A LICENSE YET say they want to buy a WRX....

#10 ·
Get a s13 240sx. They are cheap $4000-$6000 RWD, have decent power, good gas mileage and controllable with the rear end stuck out if you are into that. Not to mention parts are insanely cheap for them as well as upgrades. Start with that car and then come talk to us in a few years when you want somethin different.

#18 · (Edited)
+10 i'm 90% a nissan guy/kid (other 10% is here)....buy an s13 (you can get them for much less than that--clean 89's and 90's (sohc) run around 1500, and a 91-93 (dohc) usually runs around 2 to 3k if you know how to talk people down, as sellers are assuming everybody is into the jdm drifting craze)

learn how to control a lightweight rwd car stock, then work your way up by buying coilovers, rucas, tie rods, subframe bushings, and other suspension linkages...then if you feel you're being limited, swap in an sr20, turbo the ka, or swap in an rb/engine swap of your choice

and i am afraid for you...seeing from the ticket thread... i'm just over 15 years old and i was still :rolleyes:

#13 ·
dont bash on all teenagers now :tongue: . Im 16, never been pulled over, never committed a serious traffic crime (ok so i speed like 10 over sometimes) and i am paying for my wrx completely by myself (i took a loan from my parents but have a payment plan setup to pay it back over the next 2 years, so before i go off to college). and yes "everyone gets in an accident sometime" well kind of (neither of my parents have been) but thats usually the result of something other that "performance driving". good luck finding a car, and please dont kill yourself or get arrested, gives all of us teenagers a bad name.

#16 ·
hey man that's commendable. I enjoy the feeling of working hard for the stuff I have. Be responsible and work hard. I have nothing against teenagers, just irresponsible ones.... like ones that post about how they've wrecked cars and been pulled over when they don't even have a license yet... :rolleyes:

#14 ·
an NA 300ZX would probably be alright if you don't crash it. you drive it, do restoration and suspension mods, and if you don't crash it... you have a good base to do a twin turbo swap when you can afford it. (and hopefully become a more responsible driver)

if you think you might crash it and toss it away, get a 240sx or a mustang or something not as nice.

#15 ·
thefugitivemind: yeah the A/C sucks up power...but just roll down your windows..and wave to every person on the road..while saying.."yeah thats right..look at that hoodscoop"
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#17 ·
i to am actually 17, been working my ass off everyday at work and still going to school... i had 7000 sitting around from when i sold my Sr20 240 which i took upon as my first car / project car, built it up great car, very fast, handled well with my suspension upgrades.. but it just wasn't my thing i guess... saved up some more money put 7000 down on a 05 wrx and im paying it off slowly but steadily, not much room for error or mods but it feels great having it be my own car and working hard everyday to drive it.

in time i will have mods... just doing my research for now so i know what i want :)

#19 ·
Hey thats great i got osme positive criticism. The STi is abit out of my league at this point which is why i was lookin for say an 02 wrx. I dont mind the 300zx though. I work at jack in the box, i have about 7k asved up so far, so id say between now and august ill make maybe about 1k or so.

And about the track racing, i know most of you do it the right way i wouldnt mind any either. I feel safer spectating at a track. But, if they wold let me in, in the first place, then id keep it out of the parking lots. but yes i see your point. 15 and you belive we shouldnt be on the road.

S14s are my type, especially the kouki. Although im not in the mood to keep on upgrading a very old car which could break down, which is why i was looking for something reliable. Im probably gonna end up buyin a 300zx, or a kouki if i can find one, so id say most of you would be glad i dont buy an WRX or whatever.

Its good though guys, dont feel like ****s becuase your criticising a teenager, i dont mind really because i get this on every forum i go to. ((Unless i say im like 48 with 3 kids and i own a corvette :rotfl: ))

Anywayz, thanks for the help. Enjoy your Scoobies.

#21 ·
For the record I have nothing against younger drivers hell I'm young myself. In fact most of the time I'm usually the one who says a WRX wouldn't be a bad car for the responsible younger person. The one and only reason I criticized the op was because he shows up saying I like drifting, I wrecked one car already, I have X number of tickets, oh and which performance car should I get?

If you are in fact a responsible person I retract whatever I've said but if you are how you've come across in your earlier posts please try hard not to drive like a moron and make the rest of us younger drivers look bad.

At any rate enjoy whatever you get I'm a Z car fan I've always liked the 300Zx and I have a 350Z myself. Best of luck.

#27 ·
the story about crashing a mustange plus this
Im 15, ive been pulled over 4 times.

1 Ran out of gas on chino hills pkwy, then the battery died, and the 5-0 came up behind me.

2 I was bustin it at a red light had the music firing, cop on a bike pulls up next to me. I look to my right and look at the left turning red light and im like :baaa: 2 lanes turning and their is no u turn. The cop makes the turn, i slam the gas spin the car around and make a u turn heading straight down, cop looks at me and i see him in my mirror and he just turned. Luckily he was Off duty.

3 Ugh, wreckless driving. Changing lanes on 57, becuase the sht is so damn crowded. Let off the hook, cop never found out i was unlicensed.

4 Had friends in the car at night bustin it going to krikorian theathers. Pigs pull me over, cop walks up to me and im talkin to my friends tellin them im goin straight to jail. He walks up peeks inside the car and leans on the door. Says 1 thing "Dont forget to turn your lights on." *In my mind, oh ***** Clicks the lights on, thank you. And bust it out. :D
leads me to believe you are dumb.

get a bicycle, you have a lot of growing up to do before you can drive a car.

#29 ·
Howd ya know i go to Ayala lol?
Anywayz, only like 3 people answered me truthfully the rest were just hate ims. So im guessing most of you say, "Get a civic put a 15inch exhasut on it, and turn yourself into a ricer" Nahh. 300zx would sound good to me sincei cant afford a 02 WRX yet. Thanks for all the help, and to the rest of you :sadwave:

#31 ·
Naturally Aspirated 300Z would be a half decent choice. If you're looking for a RWD for the fun of it, a lighter, older car wouldn't be bad either. The 300 is difficult to find parts for. But the VG30 engine is tried & true. Hell, the VG30 ---> VG35 ---> VQ35 --> VQ40. Same engineering and it's gone on for a while.

Whatever you decide, be respectful on the road. There are a lot of angry people out there (who says it's illegal to carry a dozen lug nuts in your armrest?). Police are there to keep the general public safe. Call them pigs all you want, they're trained to sense your arrogance towards them.

Some call it road rage. I call it promoting awareness and chlorinating the gene pool. Be safe and take the high road.

#30 ·
stealth... im 17 and i even suggest a 240sx or something slower. maybe even a gti. learn on that and jsut be responsible for now. get used to the speed of that and the opportunity should come to you. they arent being harsh it just isnt fair to the innocent driver that gets injured or dies due to your lack of experience and control. i drive an altima and am plenty fine with the power or lack there of for right now

<==== the ltd sti is the car i drive alot and all i can say is wow i dont need that because im pretty sure i will hurt myself. the ability to tell yourself you dont need that power is something that needs to be a driving force in your mind. im not bragging but i just dont need it now but a wrx would be fine in a month or so. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.