EPIC Engineering Springs for 08+ STI! Prototype photos and testing inside!

This is a discussion on EPIC Engineering Springs for 08+ STI! Prototype photos and testing inside! within the Vendor Archived Threads forums, part of the Vendor's Forum category; I've mentioned it on a few threads previously, but now we finally have something to show off! After months of ...

EPIC Engineering Springs for 08+ STI! Prototype photos and testing inside!

I've mentioned it on a few threads previously, but now we finally have something to show off! After months of development, EPIC Engineering sent us a prototype set of their new 08+ STI springs for testing and more R&D. Please keep in mind that these are the PROTOTYPE springs, and not the final production product. Here's a photo of the new springs with the front bump stops (rear bump stops not shown):

Since we've been running Eibach Pro-Kit springs since they were released, we figured it'd be worth comparing the two. Here are photos of the EPIC Engineering springs and the Eibach Pro-Kit springs side-by-side:

Initial Impressions

We took turns driving the car here at the shop, and I drove the car home last night and back to the shop this morning. My commute is 25 miles each way, so I spend a lot of time on the freeway and I get to take a few fun onramps/offramps. Here are our initial impressions thus far, compared to the Eibach Pro-Kit springs we had on previously:

- Body roll is just about eliminated. This completely amazes me since we're still running the stock front and rear sway bars. The springs made a huge difference.

- Stiffer rear springs help aid in acceleration and reduce understeer. With the Eibachs, whenever I'd hit the gas from a stop or even from a roll, there was a very noticeable dip backwards, which really didn't feel good. Under hard braking, there was likewise a very noticeable dip forward. With the EPIC Engineering springs on now, those dips are completely gone and the car feels much more solid when accelerating and braking. The car also no longer has a tendency to push when cornering, keeping similar understeer to stock. The new springs have vastly improved this and it can actually be pretty easy to kick the rear end out if you power over.

- Less suspension travel, while maintaining a quality, comfortable ride. Since we put the 275/30/19s on, the tires would run on the fender liner whenever we'd hit a dip or bump in the road on the Eibachs. This was especially prevalent in the front. With the EPIC Engineering springs on now, that front rubbing is completely gone, driving over the same exact dips, ruts, and bumps in the road that had caused rubbing previously. The only time the rear rubbed was on a very big dip, but that really wasn't surprising at all. Despite less suspension travel, the ride stayed very smooth and comfortable, which was also how the Eibachs rode as well. Going 25 miles home and back was very comfortable, even with the 19s on. I'm sure that if we were on 18s, the ride would feel as smooth as stock.

Current photo:

I've already fallen in love with these springs. Despite how much I like them right now, Dan at EPIC Engineering has told us that he's still going to make a few revisions, namely raising the front just a little bit while lower the rear as well. Of course, the springs are going to take a couple weeks to settle, so maybe we'll revisit the aesthetics at that point. Other than that though, these springs look like they're going to be a best seller, just like the 02-07 WRX and STI springs have been for us so far

Expected ETA for production of these springs according to EPIC Engineering is 6-8 weeks, give or take 1-2 weeks if they decide to do another prototype first.

Armin @ W1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WORLD ONE PERFORMANCE
    Phone: 253.336.5449
    AIM: WorldOneArmin
    World One Performance Blog | Customer/Employee Gallery
    Building Award-Winning Subarus since 2002, with the track record to prove it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Update -- October 6, 2009

After months of R&D and a few revisions to the test springs, I'm happy to announce that the EPIC Engineering springs for 08+ STI are now in production, and the first batch should be completed within the next 2-3 weeks! We will be having a pre-order sale for these soon, so please keep an eye out on the Suspension Vendor-For-Sale forum! Here is how the springs look with the latest pre-production height revision:

Once we have a production copy in our hands, we'll be putting them on and taking more photos

Armin @ W1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WORLD ONE PERFORMANCE
    Phone: 253.336.5449
    AIM: WorldOneArmin
    World One Performance Blog | Customer/Employee Gallery
    Building Award-Winning Subarus since 2002, with the track record to prove it.