Buying in California vs. Massachusetts

This is a discussion on Buying in California vs. Massachusetts within the Vendor Archived Threads forums, part of the Vendor's Forum category; Hey all, I've been a lurker here for awhile and finally decided to register! I've always loved the WRX, and ...

Buying in California vs. Massachusetts

Hey all, I've been a lurker here for awhile and finally decided to register! I've always loved the WRX, and finally the time has come to take the plunge and buy one.

So here's the deal. I currently live in MA, but come this summer, I'll be off to college in Cali. While I'm out there I'll certainly need a car and I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a used WRX. I've been lurking here long enough to know that you guys know everything about the WRX, including buying/owning one, so I'd like to ask everyone's advice on my biggest question (also feel free to chime in about anything else you think I'll need to know).

Do I buy the car in MA or in CA???

I've never bought a car, and all the research I've done on the laws and taxes of car ownership is either inconclusive or ridiculously complicated.

Here's what I know so far:

1. The car from CA will be in better condition.
    2. ALL the cars I can find online for sale in CA are modified in some way(warranty void?).
    3. The prices seem to be the roughly same in both areas.

Here's what I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. Emissions. How does this factor in? If I understand the emissions laws correctly (I probably don't), a car bought in MA won't pass CA's emissions test for registration.

2. Registration. The car will spend all but the summers in CA. Where should I register it?

3. Insurance. I KNOW it will be cheaper to insure in MA because of the area where my college is. But I don't think I can insure it in MA because the car will be in CA for 3/4 of the year.

4. The purchase. Where should I buy? Is a "legit" Subaru dealership the only way to buy if I want a used WRX with a warranty? Or can I buy from one of those smaller dealerships that sells a mish mosh of different brands? Also, I'd like to be able to take the car to a dealership for tuneups, repairs, etc. Does this mean I have to buy it at a "legit" dealership?

5. Taxes. I know CA charges a higher sales tax, but do I need to pay that since I'm a MA resident? I think I'd pay the MA sales tax either way...

6. Where to buy. Please tell me your ultimate decision. What would you do? Also, what have I forgotten? I know I didn't think of everything!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    1. The car from CA will be in better condition.
    2. ALL the cars I can find online for sale in CA are modified in some way(warranty void?).
    3. The prices seem to be the roughly same in both areas.
    Buy the car in the best condition. A modification will not void your warranty, but if SoA can attribute any warranty claim to a mod, they can deny it (they won't tell you they can't fix your P/W because you have the StageII setup).

4. The purchase. Where should I buy? Is a "legit" Subaru dealership the only way to buy if I want a used WRX with a warranty? Or can I buy from one of those smaller dealerships that sells a mish mosh of different brands? Also, I'd like to be able to take the car to a dealership for tuneups, repairs, etc. Does this mean I have to buy it at a "legit" dealership?
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a used WRX/STi from a mom & pop car lot. I would make sure to get the car at a dealership. A Subaru dealership will know the car best, and if you can get a comparable price to others, I'd suggest getting it there. You can buy the car at a different dealership and still have the Subaru warranty (I bought my '05 at a Nissan dealership, and I am covered under warranty).

5. Taxes. I know CA charges a higher sales tax, but do I need to pay that since I'm a MA resident? I think I'd pay the MA sales tax either way...
    I would assume since the purchase would be done in CA, you'll be paying CA taxes (maybe if you can get the car shipped to MA, you could pay their taxes).

6. Where to buy. Please tell me your ultimate decision. What would you do? Also, what have I forgotten? I know I didn't think of everything!
    Preferably, you want a car that has not been modified. If you want a modded car, ideally you'll want to get a stock one and do the mods yourself, after researching the parts, and making sure it's done right (with parts that won't be bad for your car - e.g., BOV).

If you can only get a modded car, do some research on here about what are good and bad mods - make your choice based on that.

Best of luck
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you gonna be a resident of cali or register it in MA?

If you are a College student paying out of state tuition and registered in MA then buy it in MA. IF you are gonna smog it and live permanently in CA then buy it in CA. Most CA cars are rust free with the exception of a few on the NV and CA border.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I'll be paying out of state tuition and will still be a resident of MA (is it even possible to do that, register a car in a state in which you aren't a resident??). I won't be in CA for more than 4 years, I'm shooting for 3. Nothing against it, I've just got other plans back east.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I'll be paying out of state tuition and will still be a resident of MA (is it even possible to do that, register a car in a state in which you aren't a resident??). I won't be in CA for more than 4 years, I'm shooting for 3. Nothing against it, I've just got other plans back east.
    Then buy and register in MA.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I'll be paying out of state tuition and will still be a resident of MA (is it even possible to do that, register a car in a state in which you aren't a resident??).
    Nope, you can only register it in MA so that means you have to buy it in MA unless you want to buy it in CA, have it trucked all the way back here (since you'll need a MA inspection) for about $1000, then register it here and drive it all the way back to CA. Now let me guess where you've decided to buy it.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

mmkay...because I'm a MA resident, I'll have to register it in MA. Yeah sounds like I'm buying here...thanks for all your help guys!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.