Found a WRX but I would like some opinions.

This is a discussion on Found a WRX but I would like some opinions. within the Vendor Archived Threads forums, part of the Vendor's Forum category; Hey Guys, I am looking for my first WRX! I have found an '02 about 5 hours from where I ...

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school

Found a WRX but I would like some opinions.

Hey Guys,

I am looking for my first WRX! I have found an '02 about 5 hours from where I live that has 130k miles on it for 8500. The seller says that they are all highway miles and that he has his recepits from oil changes and such. The seller also says that the timing belt was done around 90k by the previous but that he cannot get the dealer to verify that. As of right now the car is modded to Cobb Stage 2. I am buying the car stock without the mods. It's been modded for less than 30K miles. What do you guys think? The seller has been very upfront with me so far and I am going to give him a call tonight. What do you guys think would be the best way to go about this? Should I just suck it up and save my $$ and buy one with less miles? Then again by the time I have another $4-$5k most cars will be in that milage range. What would you guys do? I will be taking it to a dealer to have it checked out before I fork over the cash but other than that, what can you recomend? I tried searching but came up empty handed.

Thanks!
    Paul Z.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Get a compression check, and look at all the fluids, especially the tranny fluid.

If the gears and clutch are fine, sounds like a decent deal. WRX's seem to be holding their value pretty well.

Why doesn't the AP and mods come with the car? Maybe you can negotion $1500 off the asking price without the mods.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

8500 is bone stock, no mods what so ever... I figure that I want to mod the car the way I want. Plus I don't have the cash to go into that at the moment. I had totally forgot about pulling a compression test! I should have though of that! I guess well all forget things sometime!

Thanks!
    Paul

I hope it all works out for you Paul.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    04 VW Passat 1.8T
    Looking to replace with 06 WRX Limited

Grab the VIN# and run a carfax report. Test drive it and feel how the tranny shifts.

i think its only a good deal with a clean carfax...records of maintnance...and a mechinc inspects it and you have a compression test done

i also think you should the the tbe and the AP thrown in with it...those are very high miles for the year

however for that price it may be a steal not many clean title wrxs are that much no matter how many miles are on it

Hey Guys,

I'll get the car fax done... However I don't really trust carfax that much anymore... I bought a truck that had a clean car fax but after a closer inspection I found that it had been hit in the passenger door and from that wreck the door jam area was still not right. As well as having hail damage. I knew about both when I bought the truck so it was not a big deal to me (read parts hauler for 68 firebird). I was just highlighting something that had been "missed" by a car fax. As for the compression test, the seller says that the compression was at 136 for the #3 but did not test the others. I tried the search button but came up with a bunch of dead ends...

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Paul Z.

Hey guys I couldn't find the edit button for my last post sooo here is his mod list for the car as it sits right now:

Engine:

Bosal Flex Up-Pipe
    Stromung Ceramic Coated Twin-Dump Down-Pipe
    Stromung Hi-Flow Metal Substrate Cat Pipe
    Bosal Cat Back (Dual Tip)
    Samco Intercooler Y-Pipe

Engine Management:

Cobb Access Port (MY02)
    Street Tuner Upgrade (MY02)

Suspension:

Whiteline Sway Bars (22mm front, 22mm rear(adjustable))
    Whiteline End Links (Front and Rear)
    Whiteline Steering Rack Brushings
    Whiteline Rear Sway Bar Mounts
    Cusco Rear Strut Brace
    STI Ver. 8 Spec C Takeoffs

Brakes:

Goodridge Stainless Lines
    ATE Super Blue DOT4 brake fluid

Interior:
    Autometer Gauge Bezel
    Omori Boost (In PSI), and EGT
    Kartboy SS With Brushings

Exterior:
    CF Blinkers
    STI Hoodscoop
    35% tinting All Around
    Blue "I" Front Badge
    STI Foglight Covers
    Debadge "SUBARU" Off Trunk
    Color Matching Side Skirt

Things I have but are waiting on warmer weather to install are:

SSR Competitions 17X7.5 (Anthracite with polished lip)
    EDM STi Headlights with harness
    Ver.7 STi Cluster
    KHm to MPH converter
    H6 upgrade
    Cryo Treated Front Rotors
    Hawk HPS Pads

What do you guys think the suspension is worth? He's saying 900 to keep it all on the car. I think that the rest of the parts besides the guages wil have to come off due to my budget.

Thanks,
    Paul Z.

I Support ClubWRX
    So, he wants 8500 plus another 900 for the suspension parts? Obviously if you consider parts costs and install labor, that would come to more than 900. A quick add for used parts in my head came up to about 700-800, so that isn't too far off.

BTW...if a car is wrecked but doesn't have a police report or insurance claim, carfax won't pick it up.

Compression numbers for an 02 WRX: 142 PSI to 171 PSI @ 200 to 300 RPM (from a shop manual). Note that 200-300 rpm is roughly the speed at which the starter turns the engine over. Figures I'd say this before any flamers jumped in.

If he got 138 on #3, that might be indication of either worn rings or valve seals. If you can, you should have a compression test done yourself by a certified mechanic. Typically, you should get minimum pressure in 2 strokes. If it takes up to 5 or so, or never reaches minimum, you need to determine if it is rings or seals. This is done by adding in a bit of oil to the cylinder and then stroking the engine again. If pressure comes up, it's the rings. If not, it's usually the valve seals, although for other engines, a blown head gasket (minor crack) will show two cylinders on the same side with low pressure.

Does it burn oil? This is sometimes an indication of worn rings too.

You should double check the number I gave above though, as my information may be out of date.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

even though Subaru's have great reliability, even with over 100k, i would be very leary on buying one with that many miles....
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I Support ClubWRX
    Hook him up Seth!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I have 3 or 4 WRX's in stock, but my cheapest one is probably close to $16,000. he seems to be looking for a fairly inexpensive one, regardless of miles. Mine all have 37k or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Yeah.. See my upper limit is 9k due to that is what I got out of the settlement with my truck... I don't have extra cash at the time to put on a car and i really do not want payments.

Thanks Though!

Paul Z.