For Sale 2004 WRX Java black Pearl 5mt, babied, modded, garage kept! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX Java black Pearl 5mt, babied, modded, garage kept! within the Vehicles for sale forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure modifying the car, and not having it tuned appropriately for ...

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure modifying the car, and not having it tuned appropriately for the new mods, can have some adverse and negative effects on the car. I heard that about aftermarket blow-off valves anyway, and modifying the intake system on naturally aspirated cars (CAI, short-ram, etc.). Obviously it would be a big deal with anything related to the engine management system, like injectors or something, but it looks like you didn't do any of that stuff, from what I can tell.

Great looking car, but I think the raised spoiler looks super funky!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure modifying the car, and not having it tuned appropriately for the new mods, can have some adverse and negative effects on the car. I heard that about aftermarket blow-off valves anyway, and modifying the intake system on naturally aspirated cars (CAI, short-ram, etc.). Obviously it would be a big deal with anything related to the engine management system, like injectors or something, but it looks like you didn't do any of that stuff, from what I can tell.

Great looking car, but I think the raised spoiler looks super funky!
    Most if not all of those cases are DRIVER issue I guarantee it.. If say you upped the boost like crazy then yea you will not have fuel, timing will be off?, etc and would require a tune or risk blowing it up.

The only BOV I know that has never caused me any issues on any car is an HKS SSQV now the real ones mind you.. There are a ton of knock offs that don't seal properly etc... It will properly seal at idle and not cause stumbles/etc.. And yes if you VTA you will get a temporary rich condition between shifts if your in it.. You can always run a recirc line back my kit even came with the adapter to put on the end.. But you can run it either way it hasn't caused any problems on the past several cars I have used them..

You will get Differing opinions on BOVs.. A car that idles poorly after one is installed is due to its inferior design or its leaking.. That's just my experience with them. Or due to improper install. MY AFR readings are good... Basically a TUNE will get you MAXIMUM performance out of your installed items.. But the main difference is they increase BOOST usually and mess with the timing that's where the power comes from.

Trust me I have seen plenty of stock cars with a tune or basic boltons with a Tune Blow up more than the other..
    Then again I have seen bone stock cars with nothing on them give up too.. You see people post about them on the forums here and there.

If you get injectors you have to get a tune.. That's a given.. My Car has the stock injectors.. Intake is fine however if you went with a larger diameter MAF housing then yes you would need a tune... The only other mod I could add now probably without a tune would be a header.. But I kept the stock cast manifold because they will basically last forever.. Headers will not, eventually they will crack 2-3-5 years down the line they will its just the nature of it..

I know this because I used to run headers on many cars before.. I learned the hard way.. I wrapped an expensive set on my Chevy SWB 72 truck and within a year they rotted out.. IT sucked..

Anyway back on topic.. I would definitely recirc a bov for sure if it was any other brand than the HKS SSQV.. I wouldn't trust it to run properly otherwise..
    If there is an answer in there for you I hope you find it.. really tired just took my little girl to the movies lol.
    Last edited by Dat8687; 10-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.

No, actually quite informative, thank you for taking the time. More or less confirmed a few things I already believed.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Nice looking car...Tuning it would make it a nice performing car!
    Thanks and yea.. Its basically setup.. The car is almost complete the only thing you would do is probably a bigger turbo, injectors, pump and a tune..
    IF that's what your into too..

I mean you could do a few more things like rear strut tower bar or trunk cage.. But there is not much else you could do that I could think of off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    No, actually quite informative, thank you for taking the time. More or less confirmed a few things I already believed.
    Your welcome... Have a great night

LOL OP is retarded.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    OP do you mind if we start a thread to discuss this issue? Don't want to blow up your F/S thread but there are issues here that need to be addressed.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat8687 View Post
    Most if not all of those cases are DRIVER issue I guarantee it.. If say you upped the boost like crazy then yea you will not have fuel, timing will be off?, etc and would require a tune or risk blowing it up.

The only BOV I know that has never caused me any issues on any car is an HKS SSQV now the real ones mind you.. There are a ton of knock offs that don't seal properly etc... It will properly seal at idle and not cause stumbles/etc.. And yes if you VTA you will get a temporary rich condition between shifts if your in it.. You can always run a recirc line back my kit even came with the adapter to put on the end.. But you can run it either way it hasn't caused any problems on the past several cars I have used them..

You will get Differing opinions on BOVs.. A car that idles poorly after one is installed is due to its inferior design or its leaking.. That's just my experience with them. Or due to improper install. MY AFR readings are good... Basically a TUNE will get you MAXIMUM performance out of your installed items.. But the main difference is they increase BOOST usually and mess with the timing that's where the power comes from.

Trust me I have seen plenty of stock cars with a tune or basic boltons with a Tune Blow up more than the other..
    Then again I have seen bone stock cars with nothing on them give up too.. You see people post about them on the forums here and there.

If you get injectors you have to get a tune.. That's a given.. My Car has the stock injectors.. Intake is fine however if you went with a larger diameter MAF housing then yes you would need a tune... The only other mod I could add now probably without a tune would be a header.. But I kept the stock cast manifold because they will basically last forever.. Headers will not, eventually they will crack 2-3-5 years down the line they will its just the nature of it..

I know this because I used to run headers on many cars before.. I learned the hard way.. I wrapped an expensive set on my Chevy SWB 72 truck and within a year they rotted out.. IT sucked..

Anyway back on topic.. I would definitely recirc a bov for sure if it was any other brand than the HKS SSQV.. I wouldn't trust it to run properly otherwise..
    If there is an answer in there for you I hope you find it.. really tired just took my little girl to the movies lol.
    WOW. You are so misinformed it is shameful that you are trying to educate people. You have no clue what you are talking about. Many of your mods to REQUIRE a tune to not cause issues with the engine....not just running poor under a poor driver, but those mods can blow your engine without proper engine management corrections.

I'm glad to hear your drivin ms daisy habbits behind the wheel have not run the engine hard enough to cause an issue yet, means there is still time to not destroy all the work and money you put into that baby. However, the first time someone gets on it, there are going to be some rather dangerous issues that could well blow the engine. It needs to be tuned or those parts pulled off. To be clear, not tuned for performance, but for engine safety.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

It needs to be said...

False. Even if you run stock boost numbers with those mods, your car now has mechanical changes, without the ability to add/subtract fuel/air/timing, due to not properly being tuned. Explain to me how that's a DRIVER issue?

False...the HKS SSQV is known around the boosted world to be one of the most poor quality BOVs made. Look it up and you'll see all sorts of failure/leak stories. And I'm not talking about knock-offs.

Ummm...adding parts allows you to safely increase boost because you tune for them...not having the restriction of the stock cats in a downpipe allows you to increase boost (and safely increase timing and fuel to allow for the extra boost as well)...adding a TMIC allows you to increase timing safely as you have better charge cooling. It makes absolutely ZERO sense to have your parts on it, if you are not going to tune for it. Everytime you step into boost, even just leaving the line at a red light, you go into boost. Because you've now changed mechanical properties of your car, you are now utilizing those parts, without your ECU being properly calibrated to USE those parts. Just because you don't raise the boost, doesn't mean you don't need to tune for aftermarket parts.

False...considering most of your parts you should have tuned for, a header is no different. This changes EVERYTHING about how the turbo is now spooling and pulling in and pushing out air. You've changed the volumetric efficiency and ESPECIALLY need to tune for this. If you don't...now you're really risking issues. And if you get a quality set of headers...they will be fine.

Irrelevant. Headers work completely different on an NA V8 compared to our turbo Subarus.

False. Regardless of HKS SSQV or not, full recirc is best for turbo Subarus unless you are running speed density. Otherwise, you ARE going to run rich during shifts.

Flat out...this car is has a lot of quality parts...and is incredibly clean. But you screwed up. You have been running all these mods without tuning, because you're naive and think it's ok because "you didn't increase boost" and issues that occur are "DRIVER guaranteed." I pity the person who buys this car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah, the general thing I gleaned from reading OPs post is if the car has been modded, be very skeptical before buying. I take everything with a grain of salt anyways on forums. I am kind of new to the world of turbocharged cars, so this is all very informative, as I am very seriously considering picking up a WRX. Don't worry though, I was already steering clear of cars that had not been "professionally tuned" for the mods, or lack paperwork for the tune. Of course I'd love for the car to be stock, but thats proving more difficult than I'd have hoped.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a debate or anything, I guess I could suggest that the OP get the car properly tuned, and prevent further damage.

I Support ClubWRX
    We do not allow thread crapping/Jacking in for sale threads ..but this seems to have really gone off the rails when the OP starting giving out simply false information.

I'm closing this thread. OP you're welcome to start another but you may not go giving out false information about some of the type of modifications you've made not having any adverse effects even if not properly tuned.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12