How to launch your Automatic - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to launch your Automatic within the VDC, VTC, and 4EAT forums, part of the Transmission & AWD category; Originally Posted by Mario777 That sounds like the biggest load of crap. All you had was an exhaust? Was it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mario777
    That sounds like the biggest load of crap. All you had was an exhaust? Was it a turbo-back catless exhaust or what? I have a turbo-back catless exhaust and a MBC set at 16 psi and my best launch is a 2.26 60' and 14.8@91 mph with 9psi of boost off the line. My car stock wouldnt hold a damn pound of boost when I brake launched it until I added the MBC. The downpipe made a night and day differance as well. I just installed my tranny cooler and hopefully I will have a catless up-pipe installed before the next track day but a 1.8 60' and 13.7 1/4 mile ET.....I wanna know what the hell else you have or what else you are doing because I need to do it for sure.

I hold the ebrake and it boosts at 16 psi at 3100 rpm, got a 2.0xx 60' at 3400 elevation track. Ill try it at a better track this week

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lightbulb

If you are at a light and want to take the car next to you, (or have to gun it to beat the car and merge quick )can you just put in in third and step on it, or can/does this hurt your transmission?

Yes, you can put it in 3rd... or 1st and shift it manually, it won't hurt the transmission.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Registered User neversummersl28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOW4EAT View Post
    or you can launch with line lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    anybody have more info on line lock?? how much it will cost and exactly how to use it with AWD?? im familiar with it in RWD drag cars to warm up the tires but i wanna know more for my WRX
    ~Robb~

Hawk-Eye Alliance #828

4EAT '06 SRR WRX Ltd.
    APS TBE
    SPT Intake
    Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by bmms8 View Post
    3rd goes up to 120?? damn, i trhought it went up to 90? i thought it was somewhere around 40, 72, ~90, havent actually floored it in 3rd to redline, so im only assuming.
    ive seen 135ish redlined in 3rd in my 4EAT!

Quote Originally Posted by neversummersl28 View Post
    anybody have more info on line lock?? how much it will cost and exactly how to use it with AWD?? im familiar with it in RWD drag cars to warm up the tires but i wanna know more for my WRX
    btw u can build your own line locks out of an old ABS unit. all they are is solenoids that need power and block off fluid flow.

wondering if anyone else has the problem i do. when i sit in line a while at the track waiting for my turn or after the car has sat but is still warm. i go to brake boost and i cant build more than about 5psi. but if i drive for a while and come to a stop sign or something i can brake boost to 12psi. also if i do back to back runs at the track i can build 12psi. what could be doing this? no one seems to know.

I would think it's probly because of heat soak...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

+1 for heat soak.

Try driving around for a bit and let it cool off.

Tranny

How much would it cost for an auto Tranny replacement if I did too many brake starts?

alright, ive got an issue with this. only 3 times have i been able to launch at 3200 rpms out of probably 20-30 attempts. They all happened before i found this thread this past May.

Now that I found this thread, I've tried this technique (and the 3 revs to 3k and a full rev to 6k) and it will always stay and hold at 2400-2500 rpm. I tried it again tonight with the 6k rev and it held at 2500 rpm, I held it there for 5-10 second in hopes it would finally rise. It didn't : I have felt a boost launch since April, when the car was still stock, I want to experience this with the stage 2. Is there anything else I could try?

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkyn View Post
    alright, ive got an issue with this. only 3 times have i been able to launch at 3200 rpms out of probably 20-30 attempts. They all happened before i found this thread this past May.

Now that I found this thread, I've tried this technique (and the 3 revs to 3k and a full rev to 6k) and it will always stay and hold at 2400-2500 rpm. I tried it again tonight with the 6k rev and it held at 2500 rpm, I held it there for 5-10 second in hopes it would finally rise. It didn't : I have felt a boost launch since April, when the car was still stock, I want to experience this with the stage 2. Is there anything else I could try?
    Whats the temp like outside? Is the car warmed up?

Since everyone is confused...

first of all...especially being a turbo & also pretty much most cars,it runs smoothest at a cooler temperature.....[ps its summer]

2nd....put 4EAT into neutral, hold break entire time, rev it up & continue holding the break & you'll feel the break decompress[go down further as you rev the engine], take foot off of gas & switch to Drive....

...rev up the engine(probably going to around 3000rpms roughly) and let go of break....

I managed to pull this off at the track & yes it DOES work, but I also have an up pipe, down pipe, cat-back exhaust, and CobbTuning Engine Management....so this all together does help reduce turbo lag greatly.

PS....DONT TRY THIS 30 TIMES/OFTEN

look down......60', 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile w/ that^ w/ crappy tires
    Last edited by caffeineOasis; 08-28-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    1.98-------60'
    9.017-----1/8 mile
    14.16 @ 96 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Subie do V2.0 View Post
    Whats the temp like outside? Is the car warmed up?
    about 70* and its warmed up also right after driving it for 3 miles

tranny brake anyone?

Hi fellas, I'm new to the forum but not new to wrx's

Got a question: has anyone tried installing a trans-brake on their auto? If so I'd like to know how it worked out, and how much a kit would cost. Also, what kind of stress does a trans-brake put on the tranny?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.