How to launch your Automatic - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to launch your Automatic within the VDC, VTC, and 4EAT forums, part of the Transmission & AWD category; Originally posted by bmms8 3rd goes up to 120?? damn, i trhought it went up to 90? i thought it ...

Originally posted by bmms8
    3rd goes up to 120?? damn, i trhought it went up to 90? i thought it was somewhere around 40, 72, ~90, havent actually floored it in 3rd to redline, so im only assuming.
    If I remember correctly, the manual says third tops out at 112.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I usually shift mine before 110mph on stock size tires.

However, your vehicle speed is a function of your rpm's, tire size etc.

I haven't run the numbers but larger tires might allow a car to have that shift point near 120. But then, your speedometer is based off the rpm's and would still show you shifting at 110. So one would be shifting at 120 when reading vehicle speed from a gps unit.

Some EM's allow the rev limiter to be increased. Higher rev's = faster speed. Maybe that's where he's getting his higher vehicle speed at shift.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX
    Since I get so many PMs asking about how to properly launch your 4EAT, I decided to make a thread about it. (mods please sticky and or merge with any other launching thread.)

I strongly advise that you use your head and practice this in a very remote location (or more preferably the track!) and if you want to keep your transmission in good working order, you might want to rethink doing this on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

1. (left foot on brake, right on gas) At a complete stop, put the car into N.
    2. Start revving until you feel the brake pedal depress. (usually a quick rev to 5k RPM does the trick)
    3. WAIT until the revs drop all the way back down, and put the car back into D.
    4. With your left foot still firmly planted on the brake pedal, start revving the engine. You should see RPM's climb to around 2400 rpm and stall. After 2-3 seconds it'll start rising and you should hit around 3200 RPM.
    5. Once at this RPM take your foot off the brake, and hold on for dear life!

With the right amount of practice, this whole process can be done in a matter of a few seconds. And with the propper technique, you should be making a face like this:
    The break depression will occur in most automatics right, not just the rex, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by bjbrad85
    The break depression will occur in most automatics right, not just the rex, yes?
    Most modern cars, not even just automatics. It's the break booster, here's a nice description:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm

I launch my wrx the same way as listed except I normally use the e-brake when I launch because you can hold more boost off the line. I only have exhaust and got a 1.8 60ft out of it. adn a 13.7@99.5 I have to break 100mph now so I got the eccutek but that is another story. BTW this could be why my tranny went at 73k miles when I beat on it often. So be careful and always remember if you don't break it you are not trying hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by phunkdup
    Most modern cars, not even just automatics. It's the break booster, here's a nice description:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm
    howstuffworks = best site evar (next to clubwrx)
    Hey baby, wanna go pick up some groceries?

is this bad for the trany i know auto's are a lil whimpy. i may try this with my SHO what do you guys think.
    lifes a garden
    dig it

Quote Originally Posted by wRxEr_4_LiFE
    is this bad for the trany i know auto's are a lil whimpy. i may try this with my SHO what do you guys think.
    Yes Its not the best thing for your transmission but it should be ok as long as you dont do it very often but i dont know about SHO's but in rexes 4EATs are actually stronger than the 5MT's.
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

well as long as the wheels break free its ok right i mean they take the abuse then and the trany dosent??....
    lifes a garden
    dig it

Quote Originally Posted by Vins02wrx
    I launch my wrx the same way as listed except I normally use the e-brake when I launch because you can hold more boost off the line. I only have exhaust and got a 1.8 60ft out of it. adn a 13.7@99.5 I have to break 100mph now so I got the eccutek but that is another story. BTW this could be why my tranny went at 73k miles when I beat on it often. So be careful and always remember if you don't break it you are not trying hard enough.
    That sounds like the biggest load of crap. All you had was an exhaust? Was it a turbo-back catless exhaust or what? I have a turbo-back catless exhaust and a MBC set at 16 psi and my best launch is a 2.26 60' and 14.8@91 mph with 9psi of boost off the line. My car stock wouldnt hold a damn pound of boost when I brake launched it until I added the MBC. The downpipe made a night and day differance as well. I just installed my tranny cooler and hopefully I will have a catless up-pipe installed before the next track day but a 1.8 60' and 13.7 1/4 mile ET.....I wanna know what the hell else you have or what else you are doing because I need to do it for sure.
    -Sarah

LOOKS NICE. PLAYS DIRTY.

Chargespeed Pink and Blue 300WHP 4EAT Bugeye
    SubieChick.com

Quote Originally Posted by WRX
    Since I get so many PMs asking about how to properly launch your 4EAT, I decided to make a thread about it. (mods please sticky and or merge with any other launching thread.)

I strongly advise that you use your head and practice this in a very remote location (or more preferably the track!) and if you want to keep your transmission in good working order, you might want to rethink doing this on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

1. (left foot on brake, right on gas) At a complete stop, put the car into N.
    2. Start revving until you feel the brake pedal depress. (usually a quick rev to 5k RPM does the trick)
    3. WAIT until the revs drop all the way back down, and put the car back into D.
    4. With your left foot still firmly planted on the brake pedal, start revving the engine. You should see RPM's climb to around 2400 rpm and stall. After 2-3 seconds it'll start rising and you should hit around 3200 RPM.
    5. Once at this RPM take your foot off the brake, and hold on for dear life!

With the right amount of practice, this whole process can be done in a matter of a few seconds. And with the propper technique, you should be making a face like this:
    Sometimes it doesnt let me get up to 3200. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dizzle
    Sometimes it doesnt let me get up to 3200. Why is that?
    Try reving higher than 5k...like to 6500. For me the higher I rev initially, the higher I can stall...
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

what do you mean try reving higher?

I just put it in neutral, rev it until the brake suppresses, then i brake torque, and sometimes it doesnt go up to 3200. It only goes to like 2400, or 2700

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dizzle
    what do you mean try reving higher?

I just put it in neutral, rev it until the brake suppresses, then i brake torque, and sometimes it doesnt go up to 3200. It only goes to like 2400, or 2700
    I think he means revving it higher when you are suppressing the brakes (i.e. the brakes may go partially down at 5k rpm but maybe if you rev till 6k rpm the brakes will go down all the way).
    Owner of a 2004 WRX Wagon in Aspen White, with t3h fo-34T tranny.

I have a cat back exhaust, uppipe, downpipe and I launched it how they described it on this post and pulled off a 14.16 in the quarter mile & it lets me launch at about 3100 rpms.
    1.98-------60'
    9.017-----1/8 mile
    14.16 @ 96 mph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.