08+ Impreza Automatic Transmission Question.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 08+ Impreza Automatic Transmission Question. within the VDC, VTC, and 4EAT forums, part of the Transmission & AWD category; What is the "four speed shiftable transmission" on the N/A 08+ Imprezas? Is it CVT, or normal transmission. I ask ...

08+ Impreza Automatic Transmission Question.

What is the "four speed shiftable transmission" on the N/A 08+ Imprezas? Is it CVT, or normal transmission. I ask because it really looks like a normal transmissio, but I remember being told that the normal transmissions weren't available on these cars. I think I'm done with these ticking time bombs. I just want a normal car that I know will start every time and not spin a bearing or break a ring land just from driving the darn thing down the road. I want to stay with real awd, but I can't do CVT's either. They blow. Anyone?
    '09 silver WRX sedan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru didn't use a CVT until the 2014 model year I believe. The 08-13 Impreza uses a 4EAT.
    My "Build" Thread!

2015 VW GTI

2006 WRX TR - SOLD
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Hmm... I just drove a used CVT subaru about 2 months ago. But now I can't remember if it was an Impreza or Legacy. I'm very sure it was an older Impreza. 08 maybe? And it blew lol.
    '09 silver WRX sedan.

I Support ClubWRX
    After more research I was wrong on my years. They started using the CVT in 2010.
    My "Build" Thread!

2015 VW GTI

2006 WRX TR - SOLD

So '09 and down I'm good?
    '09 silver WRX sedan.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by New09wrx View Post
    So '09 and down I'm good?
    Correct.
    My "Build" Thread!

2015 VW GTI

2006 WRX TR - SOLD

Ok thanks. We'll see what I can do with this...
    '09 silver WRX sedan.

What is the "four speed shiftable transmission" on the N/A 08+ Imprezas? Is it CVT, or normal transmission. I ask because it really looks like a normal transmissio, but I remember being told that the normal transmissions weren't available on these cars. I think I'm done with these ticking time bombs. I just want a normal car that I know will start every time and not spin a bearing or break a ring land just from driving the darn thing down the road. I want to stay with real awd, but I can't do CVT's either. They blow. Anyone?
    I think 'ticking timebombs' is a bit harsh. Our cars dont just self destruct from driving them around. Yes, some people have had these issues, and a significant chunk of those people had modified their cars... but there are hoards of us out there that have never had any issues.

Every winter in the facebook groups its the same story.

Guy buys WRX.
    Guy goes out in the snow.
    Guy doesn't let the car warm up fully.
    Guy does cyclones and donuts for 20 minutes, bouncing off of the rev limiter for significant periods of time.
    Guy spins a bearing.
    Guy goes on facebook and/or the forums talking about how much of a POS his Subaru is.

Or.

Guy buys WRX.
    Guy goes out and gets a few mods ans a tune or an access port.
    Guy beats the crap out of the car.
    Guy cracks a ringland.
    Guy takes to the internet to inform everybody not to buy a Subaru because they are unreliable POS's that just explode at will.

That is true. But then, there are the experienced Subaru owners that save up all their money and buy a 2013+ WRX or STi and spin a bearing before their third oil change. I know this percentage is still low, but compared to pretty much every other car on the planet since the early 1900's it's staggering. I've grew up around cars, and have been knee deep in the hobby for quite a while, and have never seen the trends I see here. In the past 2 days alone, I've already run across two blown brand new STis in my area. Both work for Subaru dealerships no less lol. What are the odds? Two brand new cars back to back? lol.

I've never had such nervousness with other cars as I do this one. It's like pulling the handle on a slot machine every time I stick the key into the ignition lol. There's no way you can deny this either. No other message board around here has threads like a Subaru board does. I mean look at the "high mileage" thread on nasioc-two pages. The spun bearing thread? 51 pages lol. Type in spun rod bearing thread into google. Subaru's the first entry lol. This isn't chance, or a small batch of irresponsible drivers. These new Subarus are freakin expensive man. These aren't 18 year olds driving these cars. Granted some are 18, but not many 18 year old's are driving 40,000 dollar cars man lol. Sorry.
    '09 silver WRX sedan.

Still not buying it man. Do you have any actual data? I was drinking the cool aide too when I first got my WRX in April and signed up for the forums... but despite me searching for any real data, all I really found was that cars have failures, be it ringlands with Subarus, timing chain tensioners with Audi S4s, or whatever flavor you want from most any manufacturer.

I'm not disputing that some people may have had catastrophic failures, in fact I'm absolutely positive that certain responsible owners have had completely unexpected failures. Hell, my stapfather had blown two engines in the past, one in an H1, and one in an SL 500, the latter happened before the car hit 5000 miles. It happens, even with cars well over the $60K mark.

I'm just not buying the notion that the WRX/STI is some iteration of the automotive glass slipper. Of course there may be some sort of issue or weak link, but most any car has these... with our cars it just happens to be the ringlands.

Spun bearings are typically the result of poor lubrication, hence why you always hear of people spinning a bearing in the winter, weather they were hooning or not.

But hey, if you show me some solid data snowing that Subarus are overly unreliable in this department as compared to other cars of the 25-40K price range then I will gladly eat crow.

Also, regarding the 18 year olds comment, that really depends where you live. In my neighborhood many 18 year olds have much nicer cars than my '14 WRX... mainly because their daddies have deep pockets. Guess how many Long Island rich kids blow their WRX/STI motors? ...happens all the time man, and then daddy fixes it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
    I think 'ticking timebombs' is a bit harsh. Our cars dont just self destruct from driving them around. Yes, some people have had these issues, and a significant chunk of those people had modified their cars... but there are hoards of us out there that have never had any issues.

Every winter in the facebook groups its the same story.

Guy buys WRX.
    Guy goes out in the snow.
    Guy doesn't let the car warm up fully.
    Guy does cyclones and donuts for 20 minutes, bouncing off of the rev limiter for significant periods of time.
    Guy spins a bearing.
    Guy goes on facebook and/or the forums talking about how much of a POS his Subaru is.

Or.

Guy buys WRX.
    Guy goes out and gets a few mods ans a tune or an access port.
    Guy beats the crap out of the car.
    Guy cracks a ringland.
    Guy takes to the internet to inform everybody not to buy a Subaru because they are unreliable POS's that just explode at will.
    This. This on so many levels.

There are always unfortunate failures, but many are caused by improper care.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Now chock-full of more subforums! |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

As a kid, I've flogged my share of beaters. Never once did I ever spin a bearing, or break a ring land. My Jeep has 129,000 hard miles. Looks and acts as if it had 30,000. Failure isn't even in my foreseealbe future. I'm not talking about kids with modded cars. Blowing them up is a given. We all know that WILL happen. I'm talking about the guys with stock cars, AND under say, 20,000 miles. If these cars blow up pretty much every time you drive them in the winter without a full hour warmup, why isn't that in the owners manual? Why doesn't it say "if colder than 32 degrees, ensure the car is warmed up for 20 minutes or more before exceeding 1200 rpms". I've NEVER had to warm my car up or baby it this much, to prevent a total catastrophic failure. Not on a single car I've owned.

Come on with that "show me proof" stuff man. You know good and well you've read MORE than your fair share of no real reason engine failures on the various Subaru boards. There's no way you can compare our failures to the failures of the typical mustang/camaro/honda/mitsu/focus boards. No way. Yea, I remember the old 1/2 gen dsm crank walk failures but even they weren't on our level of failures.
    Don't tell me you've ever owned a car that required 93 octane, a 20 min. warm up during the winter months, special oil, and turbo cool down periods even though it has coolant running through it as well, just to get more than 100 miles on the car without failure. And all against the owner's manual too lol. I mean none of this stuff's in the owner's manual. Thank god I visit forums for this stuff otherwise noone on the planet would ever know to throw the owner's manual in the garbage and do everything it tells you not to do. I mean, the route you're supposed to take when buying a new Subaru, is certain failure. These methods of "if you take care of it, it will last you." aren't common knowledge. How is the average non message board person ever going to know, that he's NOT supposed to use dealer oil, he's NOT suppose to use 5w30, he's NOT supposed to utilize the 7000 mile OCI's, and that he's supposed to let the car warm up for 15 minutes, despite all the new websites out there that tell you it's utter bull**** to warm your car up for more than ten seconds, and that driving it warms it up quicker, and that he's NOT supposed to just pull into the parking lot and shut off the car because the oil will coke in the turbo. Where would the average consumer get this info from?

If I were Joe blow off the street, and walked into a Subaru dealership and bought a brand new turbo Forester for example, to be dead honest, I'd do EVERYTHING you're not supposed to do to a turbo Subaru. I'd use Subaru 5w30 oil, I'd change it at 7000 miles, I'd let it warm up about ten seconds and then drive off, and I'd shut it off and leave the second I pull into my parking lot. Going this route, a turbo Subaru would have dropped it's ass all over the highway inside of one year. And then, on top of all of that, I have to FIGHT with these mother******s to get a new engine? There's no way in hell other car owners go thru this level of bull **** during new car ownership. There's no way. I haven't even HEARD of this malarky till I joined these message boards. All my other cars were "get in em & go." type of cars, and they all lasted over a 100,000 WORRY FREE miles. Read how many posters posted the infamous "****, now I'm nervous-I hope my car doesn't blow up." statement in the spun rod bearing thread. I'm not the only one that realizes that these cars are a bit more fragile than most. Sure they're a niche brand, for a true auto enthusiast, but how in the hell are you supposed to know all of these weird maintenance nuances unless you blow up an engine or two? Why should I have gotten "schooled" on subaru ownership AFTER that fact? I just think you guys have become numb to the fact that spun bearings, broken clutch mounts and broken ring lands are a way of life, and that you have forgotten what normal car ownership felt like lol. Almost like Stockholm syndrome in a way. It's an accepted way of life for long time Subaru guys. But you guys shouldn't tell the other people "get used to it buddy." because that shouldn't be the cost of turbo Subaru ownership. You're kidding yourself. I tell ya though, I do love true AWD lol.
    But I don't want to get off topic here. I just need to know about these automatic transmissions and if they're normal. If they are, then I think I may be good to go
    '09 silver WRX sedan.

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy) SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Let's please keep the discussion PG-13 so that members of all ages and members reading from work can all enjoy the posts.

Thanks.
    Les jeux sont faits.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    As a kid, I've flogged my share of beaters. Never once did I ever spin a bearing, or break a ring land. My Jeep has 129,000 hard miles. Looks and acts as if it had 30,000. Failure isn't even in my foreseealbe future. I'm not talking about kids with modded cars. Blowing them up is a given. We all know that WILL happen. I'm talking about the guys with stock cars, AND under say, 20,000 miles. If these cars blow up pretty much every time you drive them in the winter without a full hour warmup, why isn't that in the owners manual? Why doesn't it say "if colder than 32 degrees, ensure the car is warmed up for 20 minutes or more before exceeding 1200 rpms". I've NEVER had to warm my car up or baby it this much, to prevent a total catastrophic failure. Not on a single car I've owned.

Come on with that "show me proof" stuff man. You know good and well you've read MORE than your fair share of no real reason engine failures on the various Subaru boards. There's no way you can compare our failures to the failures of the typical mustang/camaro/honda/mitsu/focus boards. No way. Yea, I remember the old 1/2 gen dsm crank walk failures but even they weren't on our level of failures.
    Don't tell me you've ever owned a car that required 93 octane, a 20 min. warm up during the winter months, special oil, and turbo cool down periods even though it has coolant running through it as well, just to get more than 100 miles on the car without failure. And all against the owner's manual too lol. I mean none of this stuff's in the owner's manual. Thank god I visit forums for this stuff otherwise noone on the planet would ever know to throw the owner's manual in the garbage and do everything it tells you not to do. I mean, the route you're supposed to take when buying a new Subaru, is certain failure. These methods of "if you take care of it, it will last you." aren't common knowledge. How is the average non message board person ever going to know, that he's NOT supposed to use dealer oil, he's NOT suppose to use 5w30, he's NOT supposed to utilize the 7000 mile OCI's, and that he's supposed to let the car warm up for 15 minutes, despite all the new websites out there that tell you it's utter bull**** to warm your car up for more than ten seconds, and that driving it warms it up quicker, and that he's NOT supposed to just pull into the parking lot and shut off the car because the oil will coke in the turbo. Where would the average consumer get this info from?

If I were Joe blow off the street, and walked into a Subaru dealership and bought a brand new turbo Forester for example, to be dead honest, I'd do EVERYTHING you're not supposed to do to a turbo Subaru. I'd use Subaru 5w30 oil, I'd change it at 7000 miles, I'd let it warm up about ten seconds and then drive off, and I'd shut it off and leave the second I pull into my parking lot. Going this route, a turbo Subaru would have dropped it's ass all over the highway inside of one year. And then, on top of all of that, I have to FIGHT with these mother******s to get a new engine? There's no way in hell other car owners go thru this level of bull **** during new car ownership. There's no way. I haven't even HEARD of this malarky till I joined these message boards. All my other cars were "get in em & go." type of cars, and they all lasted over a 100,000 WORRY FREE miles. Read how many posters posted the infamous "****, now I'm nervous-I hope my car doesn't blow up." statement in the spun rod bearing thread. I'm not the only one that realizes that these cars are a bit more fragile than most. Sure they're a niche brand, for a true auto enthusiast, but how in the hell are you supposed to know all of these weird maintenance nuances unless you blow up an engine or two? Why should I have gotten "schooled" on subaru ownership AFTER that fact? I just think you guys have become numb to the fact that spun bearings, broken clutch mounts and broken ring lands are a way of life, and that you have forgotten what normal car ownership felt like lol. Almost like Stockholm syndrome in a way. It's an accepted way of life for long time Subaru guys. But you guys shouldn't tell the other people "get used to it buddy." because that shouldn't be the cost of turbo Subaru ownership. You're kidding yourself. I tell ya though, I do love true AWD lol.
    But I don't want to get off topic here. I just need to know about these automatic transmissions and if they're normal. If they are, then I think I may be good to go
    The only engine failures I've noticed are the first years on the early 3rd gens which have since been fixed, or someone beating the hell out of the car, such as WOT and red line every gear (yes SOA will be able to tell), and for stock or modified cars. the worst condition my car has been in is now since it was backed into 4 weeks ago, and someone at the body shop roasted the remainder of the clutch. ..I have 114k on the odo
    Stinkeye member 520

Mother of god.

You don't need to idle after parking with a 3rd Gen plus wrx, they have water cooled turbos. It is common to let an oil cooled turbo cool down before shutting the car off. This is hardly a subaru thing... it's a recommended practice for any oil cooled turbo vehicle. This is why turbo timers exist.

You don't need to idle the car for twenty minutes before moving... you merely should wait for the coolant and oil to reach operating temperature before getting on the throttle. This is also pretty universal.

Not even gonna bother with the rest man... my car is fine and I know many other guys with subarus and none have spontaneously combust. If you're that nervous due to over exaggerated claims made on the internet, then why are you still driving a Subaru? I just don't understand. If I thought my car was that much of a POS, I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago.
    Last edited by BaconRaygun; 02-20-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.