my 4EATmay be dying, need advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on my 4EATmay be dying, need advice within the VDC, VTC, and 4EAT forums, part of the Transmission & AWD category; 09 Impreza 2.5GT, (basically an 08 WRX with a 4eat). I had it at Cobbs Stage 2 since 1000 miles, ...

my 4EATmay be dying, need advice

09 Impreza 2.5GT, (basically an 08 WRX with a 4eat). I had it at Cobbs Stage 2 since 1000 miles, now its at 76k. It's been a blast to drive. Loads of TQ and near instant spool.

Well, despite having a tranny cooler and changing out the ATF every 15k, it seems my 4eat is dying. I haven't really beaten on the car, most of the 76k were highway miles since I have a 100 miles commute every day. But I do drive it spiritedly occasionally.

A few days ago I noticed the transmission began shifting a little slow and choppy, especially from park to R in the morning. So I tried changing out the ATF again (always with oem ATF-HP). Afterwards the transmission suddenly started making a loud whirling sound -like there’s a giant fan under the hood. It only happens in P and N, and goes away when in gear. I say it's from the transmission b/c I went underneath the car, and that's where the noise was the loudest. ATF level is fine. Tried adding a little more (1/2 qt) anyway and it didn't help.

Things seem to be getting progressively worse. It's sometimes really hard to get into reverse (never happened before), and the tranny is making more noise while in R. Once the ATF temp light flashed when I started the car. I turned off the car a re-started, and it went away. Didn't happen since. No codes from OBD port, but I heard these trannies have a TCU port underneath, with its own plug and set of codes.

I am hoping that it's something simple like a bad solenoid or sensor in the 4eat, but I really don't know how to approach the problem. I know a few good aftermarket shops, but they are not Subaru 4eat experts. I doubt they can even pull the TCU codes.

I hate to ask the dealership to do this, but this one is over my head. Any advice is appreciated.

This is my only means to get to work at the Navy base in DC every day. Need to solve it ASAP.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Only thing I'm wondering, is why the heck you are changing your fluid so much???

You don't even change a manual transmission's fluid near that soon between...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I left the factory fill until 40k, then did 15k changes after that. Drain and refilling the pan is a lot easier than flushing, but it only replaces 40% of the fluid so I do it a little more frequently.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.