2002 Subaru WRX Automatic BEST FIRST MODS

This is a discussion on 2002 Subaru WRX Automatic BEST FIRST MODS within the VDC, VTC, and 4EAT forums, part of the Transmission & AWD category; Wassup ClubWRX!!! I have 3 things to say here: 1. Hey it's Great to be part of the Club!!! New ...

HELP - 2002 Subaru WRX Automatic mods!

Wassup ClubWRX!!!

I have 3 things to say here:

1. Hey it's Great to be part of the Club!!! New guy here.

2. I'm buying my boss' 2002 Subaru WRX Automatic as my first car. I would've loved it as a 5 speed but as a first car I'm not complaining AT ALL! My boss kept it ALL STOCK so it's squeaky clean with NO MODS. Once I get it I want to add mods.

Here's where all of your great minds come in. What should be my first mods to increase HP??? BTW, keep in mind it's an AUTOMATIC.

3. So since I'm buying my boss' 2002 WRX, my boss wants to buy a 2008 WRX HATCHBACK w/ Automatic transmission. She doesn't know how to drive stick and doesn't want to learn. LOL!

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYONE WHO IS SALING A 2008 AUTOMATIC WRX HATCHBACK LET ME KNOW ASAP!!!! I LIVE IN QUEENS, NY
    Last edited by Hirotoshi; 09-04-2011 at 09:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome...sounds like a great find! How many miles?

But first thing's first...if this is your first car then stick to it as stock for awhile. Chances are you don't have much cash, and you will be paying plenty for insurance. Learn to handle the car as is so you become a safe and experienced driver.

Once you have a year or so experience, then perhaps you can start modding. An automatic WRX will follow the same mod path as a manual for upping the power, so just search around. Stage 1 and Stage 2 will be your friends. Only things different...if you plan on doing a lot of dragging or so (legally!!!!) then transmission coolers are beneficial and performance torque converters. Happy searching!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats!

First off, let me ease your mind by telling you a few things about the 4EAT (auto transmission). The AWD system in the 4EAT is considerably more advanced than the mechanical AWD system used in the 5MT WRX. The 4EAT AWD system utilizes a planetary gearset (remotely similar to the DCCD in the STi 6MT) as a means of torque vectoring to send torque to the wheels that detect wheel slip. This is both quicker and more effective in adverse conditions than the viscous system used in the 5MT. Furthermore, your 4EAT reportedly has a stronger gearset than the 5MT used in the 2002 WRX so the transmission will likely hold more torque.

Now the negatives... The 4EAT is a little more tricky to modify effectively. Since you [unfortunately] have no way to choose your gears 1:1, but there are a few tricks to force your car into a gear of your choosing -- seeing as I don't own a 4EAT, I can't remember the trick but searching will help. Since you can't slip your clutch, a wide powerband will be MUCH easier with which to live than a big turbo and small powerband. Stick to </= 16G turbo if you eventually upgrade. Here is a good collection of information:

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Remember to research before purchasing anything! As a push in the right direction, most bugeye members (that's us) opt for a tune + downpipe + catless uppipe as a start for power mods. That's good for about 60 whp. For you 4EAT guys, many purchase a high-stall torque convertor to help with launching.

2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

This is were I'm at... same model! Did you get around to modding yours yet?