A CHEVY TURBO 400 TRANSMISSION IN A WRX!!
Well let me start off by saying to all the purist who want to trash the idea of a RWD wrx, in no way am I saying that this is the best idea or am I even suggesting someone else try it. All I am doing myself is taking a car that we purchased in the begining to drag race and modifying it accordingly to be the best it can be at drag racing. Let me start off by giving a little background on the car. Well the car is an 03 sonic yellow WRX 4eat. We were running stage 4 with UTEC. I discovered about 6 months ago that the old 4eater was on its last legs. When I did the research on how much it was going to cost to replace it with another 4eat my heart sank. It came in to the tune of around $4000.00 for a built transmission that would not break on me again. I then started thinking about all the drag racing Supras I have read about that had done this same conversion on there cars. I did some quick math and figured I could basically do the conversion for about half the cost of the built 4eat, be twice as strong, have more H.P. at the wheels, and have alot of fun at the same time. A really big influence for me to do this was I had a turbo 400 transmission that was proffesionally built for a built chevy 396. I have searched and searched and could find nothing of someone doing a chevy auto tranny in a wrx before so I was going into this thing kinda blind. I contacted a shop in california that makes custom transmission adapters for old cars and asked him if he could make an adapter to mate a th400 to a wrx motor. After several phone calls and emailing pictures I decided to go for it. So I grabbed the 2.0 wrx short block from the shop and loaded it in our Forester xt. Jen and I left portland, Or. at about 3:00pm on a Sat. made the 13 hr drive to the shop in Cali had brunch with my mom on Sun. then had a late lunch with some friends off of clubwrx (racenut3.0 and his wife) in bay area and made it home 15 mins before I had to leave for work on Mon. morning. We waited about 3 months for the adapter to be made. The wait was worth it fit perfect. The tranny fit in the car almost like the original did the transmount almost lined up. We had to modify the up pipe and down pipe to clear the bellhousing. We also had to go to a front mount intercooler for the same reason. While we were in there we figured we would upgrade the turbo as well, so we went with the FP green. Now with everything bolted place we had a one piece driveshaft made. car was almost ready. I decided to get rid of the UTEC and put an aem since it had a very good antilag drag style spool up ability. Done! I was so excited, it was amazing the car actually drove again after being apart for 4 months. Drove the car for 2 days and started hearing a really wierd noise. I found out on day 9 it was the rear end. Every single component in the rear end was destroyed, the pinion looked the worst. So back to the shop it went. 3 days later put another rearend in it and have been driving it ever since. The car is very detuned right now and pulls way harder than it did before tuned. oh yeah on a side note we had to put wider tires on the car just to drive it cause everytime you shifted it wanted to break lose. but the new toyo proxes t1r in a 255 width does the trick. Well sorry to make it so long but I just wanted to share with the subaru community my swap and get some feed back from you guys. All and all even with upgrading the turbo going to a front mount and getting the aem we still ended up paying less money than if we were to of bought the built tranny. the track isnt open here yet but I cant wait til it does to really see what it can do! once again please give me some feedback on this and ask as many questions as you want thats why I am doing this thread even though Jen doesnt want me to. She wanted to keep it bottled up.
Thanks for your time-Bobby