02 bug eye i/c sprayer
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 bug eye i/c sprayer within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello clubwrx, long time reader first time poster. I just got my car re-tuned last weekend and i lost 10 ...

02 bug eye i/c sprayer

Hello clubwrx, long time reader first time poster. I just got my car re-tuned last weekend and i lost 10 hp, the only answer my tuner could come up with was that my boost temp was higher by 20 degrees than my last tune (in august) even though it is much cooler out now. I have a hybrid (sti block, wrx head) and it since the day i bought it almost 6 years ago it has had ridiculous heat soaking issues. to finally see the numbers on a dyno sheet to back this up really chapped my ass. So i began to search for routes to put in an intercooler sprayer. I found lots of ghetto rigs and lot of people saying to just buy the stock one for 200 dollars+.

I got around to thinking about, the other day I had taken the washer fluid bottle off my forester to get to the spark plugs and remembered noticing that it had two washer fluid pumps set up (different than my wrx). I wondered what was stopping me from using a washer bottle from a forester in my wrx and running the "rear" pump to the intercooler and activating it by twisting the rear washer fluid stalk. I searched high and low on the forums to see if any one had attempted this and of course i found many posts similar but i wanted to go about it a little differently then a lot of the posts i read.

First i stopped over by a buddies shop to grab the bottle with both pumps, as well as the right stalk off the a forester which has the rear washer switch (my wrx one did not)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151027_125902.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	227762

Second i popped the hood and pulled the battery out so i could see what i was working with. To my surprise there actually was a connector hanging that was meant for a rear washer fluid pump (this connector was heat shrunk together with the one that was in use on my stock washer fluid bottle). Now I don't know if this is on every impreza, every wrx, or just mine because some random wiring harness got used during the build (previous owner). If this is not in your car i suggest using a fuse jumper to wire the pump in on the fuse box which is directly next to the washer fluid bottle.

Name:	IMG_20151027_130245 v2.jpg 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	227770

Name:	IMG_20151027_130537.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	227778

As you can see from the second picture it was absolutely clogged with oil grime, so i just went ahead and snipped it off and did a terrible solder, but a great taping job on the one that was luckily attached to the rear pump on the washer bottle.

Name:	IMG_20151027_133337.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	227786

Name:	IMG_20151027_133527.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	227794

Now comes the part that gets a little dicey, but hopefully works out in the end. Using an assortment of tools i began to split the washer fluid bottle. The main work horse in this process was a cutting wheel on the dremel, However at times i had to heat a exacto knife with a torch and finish cuts the dremel couldn't and the knife wasn't sharp enough to do on its own. it was actually a little easier than i thought it was going to be.

Name:	IMG_20151027_140617.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	227802

Name:	IMG_20151027_140638.jpg 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	227810

After getting the two halves separated I laid one half down on top of plastic drawer i had sitting in my garage and used a sharpie to do a ROUGH outline. Which i quickly breezed through cutting out with the dremel.

Name:	IMG_20151027_150445.jpg 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	227818

Name:	IMG_20151027_150559.jpg 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	227826
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20151027_153629.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Matching up this piece of plastic to one side of the reservoir i then used quiksteel putty to seal the plastic to the reservoir.

Name:	IMG_20151027_153629.jpg 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	227842

Name:	IMG_20151027_153647.jpg 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	227850

Then doing the same to the other side and BOOM i have a split washer fluid reservoir.

Name:	IMG_20151027_160047.jpg 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	227858

Checked the fitment and not bad, not great so i began to sand the mo hawk down a little to make it fit a little better.

Name:	IMG_20151027_165044.jpg 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	227866

A Word of caution: Unfortunately this was my stopping point for the night because i sanded too far on the bottom and now it wont hold liquid anymore ! Im out of quiksteel to repair the mistake and dont feel like running to the store tonight.
    Tomorow i will get up and finish the bottle (re-sealing and installing the spout and cap to fill the other side) and then begin drilling the wholes for the misters and running the hoses.

Wow that's a approach I've yet to see. For my IC spray I bought quarter inch plastic tubing, some plastic t fittings, and small adjustable sprinklers all for about 12 bucks at ace and then snipped the regular washer hose and had some water divert from the windshield washers. Previous to this my windshield sprayers were too powerful and sprayed up and over the car and I couldn't seem to be able to angle them to hit the windshield so this diversion of water took off just enough pressure so the sprayers would hit the windshield and have plenty of water and power to soak the IC a win win! How will you fill up the other side though?
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

yeah i really wanted to be able to have washer fluid still i feel like i use them a lot. but i didnt want to be using that to spray the intercooler or be using water to clean my windshield.

im gonna cut the cap off my stock reservoir, cut a hole in the top right side of the tank and probably epoxy it on. The putty did a good job filling in extra space from the uneven cut, but i didnt really like it overall. im sure someone could come up with something better to bond the two sides together.

I see what you're saying, in regards to the use of water as the IC sprayer and windshield sprayers I figured I would RainX my windows so the water shouldn't be too big of a deal leaving residue
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

Very ingenious solution

Quote Originally Posted by mustwarnorcas View Post
    I see what you're saying, in regards to the use of water as the IC sprayer and windshield sprayers I figured I would RainX my windows so the water shouldn't be too big of a deal leaving residue
    that's definitely a solution, but ive never been a big fan of rainx mostly the the applying part, its always worked pretty good when i have used it. The reason i wanted to do this is more becuase i live in CO and 6 months out of the year my car totally covered in salt, and being a snowboard bum, im on the road all winter. being able to wash it off my windshield effectively is a necessity for me.

not to mention that i had a few days free and felt like it would be a fun project, which it has been.

Day two

So today I made it out to the store to pick up some epoxy and a gardening misting kit which i found at lowes.

Jumping right into it i went ahead and epoxied over the spot i was getting a leak from.

Name:	IMG_20151028_115520.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	227922

Name:	IMG_20151028_115527.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	227930

Then i started the work on getting the second fill cap on the I/C sprayer side. first by cutting the neck off my old reservior, hack saw did the job fabulously.

Name:	IMG_20151028_133139.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	227938

Once it was off i placed it on the tank where i wanted it and then used a sharpie to mark the inside of the hole.

Name:	IMG_20151028_133155.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	227946

Name:	IMG_20151028_133159.jpg 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	227954

I then used the biggest spade bit i could find in my garage to cut the center of the hole out.

Name:	IMG_20151028_133510.jpg 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	227962

Widened it out a bit with the sanding wheel on the dremel.

Name:	IMG_20151028_134026.jpg 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	227970

I left a lip on the inside of the spout so that i could expoy it on the inside to make the outside look a little cleaner (since it currently looks like it has a bad mo hawk). The quiksteel putty actually ended up working really good for this job.

Name:	IMG_20151028_135630.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	227978

I then also decided to saw off the little nub that attaches the cap to the bottle and putty that on as well.

Name:	IMG_20151028_135833.jpg 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	227986

Its not letting me put any more pics up right now. i have more from what i did today, but i will just post them tomorrow

here i am changing from water to washer fluid every spring/fall. its a PITA to drain the system in the spring of all the washer fuild from the winter. fall isnt too bad because i just pull the fuse and just add washer fluid to the water already in there. i dont need an i/c spray in the winter up here in canada so i do it this way.

how did it end up working 6 months later? any leaks or anything? i already have the dual pump resevoir (ima wagon) but splitting the tank like this is a neat idea.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.