plasti dip rims
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on plasti dip rims within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am thinking about plasti dipping my stock 2015 wrx rims they are my winter set. Anyone have any tips ...

plasti dip rims

I am thinking about plasti dipping my stock 2015 wrx rims they are my winter set. Anyone have any tips on doing this? I've never messed with plasti dip before.
    '15 DGM WRX premium, production #884. Rally armor flaps, axis sport excite 17" wheels, nameless axle back w/ delete, mishimoto cold air intake.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can't mess it up. I've seen it done while the wheels are still on the car, I wouldn't personally do that and risk over spray in the brakes and rotors
    You'll want roughly 4 cans of whatever color
    Clean the wheels thoroughly to get any brake dust, grease, etc to help the dip stick more, you can either get some index cards and put them in between the tire and the wheel to prevent over spray onto the tire (I didn't do this) and spray like you would with spray paint. First coat nice and easy to help a smoother finish

Side note, wait until after you get winter tires mounted as replacing the tires will mess up the dip around the rim of the wheel...The duckbill on the tire machine will damage it and it's hard as all hell to not even being careful
    Stinkeye member 520

I agree with nsibanez!

It was super easy doing my wheels. I've never used the stuff before and it was simple.
    I did the card trick and it worked great
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

Yeah sounds good how good does the plasti dip last in the winter?
    '15 DGM WRX premium, production #884. Rally armor flaps, axis sport excite 17" wheels, nameless axle back w/ delete, mishimoto cold air intake.

It'll hold up well as long as you prep it correctly. Also helps with about 4 coats on each wheel. It's very very durable stuff and should hold up perfectly fine.
    The only problem I've had with mine like I said was replacing the tires...being very very careful (took me over an hour for all 4) ended up just nicking the edge a bit that just needed to be touched up
    Stinkeye member 520

Awesome thanks. What about the inside of the wheel did you cover it so there was no over spray or does it matter?

i added a little clear dip on top of my black to give it a little more shine

Can you take it off like If I didn't like the color? Is it easy to come off.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, if you apply enough coats for a thick layer, it peels off quite easily. Products like Dip Dissolver make it even easier: https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Dissolver.html
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by tousikid View Post
    Can you take it off like If I didn't like the color? Is it easy to come off.
    Yes the more coats the easier to get off...When you want it to come off, it's very flexible and durable and won't crack from heat. You'll really need to pick at it to get it off
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by tousikid View Post
    Awesome thanks. What about the inside of the wheel did you cover it so there was no over spray or does it matter?
    I opted out just to save some product. You won't be able to tell
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by njandy View Post
    i added a little clear dip on top of my black to give it a little more shine
    Same here...looks better
    Stinkeye member 520

Awesome thanks a lot.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Post the picks! It should come out good, the key is the prep work.
    I'm thinking of doing my spare set of wheels, the tires don't come off.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Yeah I'm gonna dip them white in a couple weeks once I get new tires and I'll post the pics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.