Replacing the stock shift knob

This is a discussion on Replacing the stock shift knob within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know this may seem like a dumb question. I just dont want to have a repeat. I once changed ...

Registered User chrismartin3391's Avatar

Replacing the stock shift knob

I know this may seem like a dumb question. I just dont want to have a repeat. I once changed the shift knob on my RSX-S. I figured it just screwed off and I was wrong. I snapped a clip that it had on it and had to buy another from the Acura dealer which was not cheap for what I was buying. My question is how to change the stock shift knob on my 14wrx. I just want to be sure I dont screw it up. I searched for the DIY thread and didnt see anything. Any help would be awesome. Maybe if theres a vid out that I missed you could post here!

Thanks!
    RIP Paul. You will be missed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No video needed. Just unscrew it off the shifter. It's just threaded on there, no clips. There's a small retainer groove that helps hold the shift boot up, but once the knob is unscrewed, pull lightly, and the shift boot will pop out of the groove. Install is the reverse of this.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Yea it just unscrews. I would recommend the Sti ergo shift knob. It is the best shift knob I ever used, along with the spt short shifter, it made all the difference in my 14 wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin3391 View Post
    I know this may seem like a dumb question. I just dont want to have a repeat. I once changed the shift knob on my RSX-S. I figured it just screwed off and I was wrong. I snapped a clip that it had on it and had to buy another from the Acura dealer which was not cheap for what I was buying. My question is how to change the stock shift knob on my 14wrx. I just want to be sure I dont screw it up. I searched for the DIY thread and didnt see anything. Any help would be awesome. Maybe if theres a vid out that I missed you could post here!

Thanks!
    Had the same issue on my RSX, bought it with the clip already broken and it was annoying as sh!t never having the boot sit-up properly. As Rambo stated just thread off and pull down on the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise View Post
    Yea it just unscrews. I would recommend the Sti ergo shift knob. It is the best shift knob I ever used, along with the spt short shifter, it made all the difference in my 14 wrx

Don't be afraid to really PULL up once the oem knob is unscrewed. I had difficulty getting it separated from that little plastic retainer piece, but then again I'm a weak sauce chic, so...

The Sti ergonomic knob is the best, it's weighted aluminum leather wrapped, top of the line,160$ the best shifter I have ever used, it's ergo grip is the ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise View Post
    The Sti ergonomic knob is the best, it's weighted aluminum leather wrapped, top of the line,160$ the best shifter I have ever used, it's ergo grip is the ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You said that already.

lathewerks seems to be a community favorite.

Registered User chrismartin3391's Avatar
    Thanks to all. Havent decided on a new one yet but tried to get it unscrewed per everyones directions and easy as pie! appreciate the help and the advice on which shift knob to buy!!
    RIP Paul. You will be missed