best oil for my car
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on best oil for my car within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2009 wrx hatch. Going for my second oil change and want to know what is the preferred ...

Question best oil for my car

I have a 2009 wrx hatch. Going for my second oil change and want to know what is the preferred oil to use considering i live in sudbury ontario and temps can dip into the -30 area. I really wanna protect my car through these cold winters. i do a lot of city driving. please take those factors into consideration when offering advice. Thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A synthetic 5W-30 should flow adequately. Find one that meets the specifications in the manual with a decent price and readily available locally.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Avoid Mobil1, I read a lot about how it "shears". Some reports are that it turns watery in short time, comes out like coffee after only 1 or 2 k miles. Have not personally tried it, even though I've used it in my other cars and bikes quite a lot. Currently I'm running (don't laugh!) O'Reily's synth. . .
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

after reading many arguments i finally switched to rotella t6 5w-40 in my 2011 wrx. Seems to warm up a lot faster and its a heavier oil so it wont break down as quick as 5w-30.
    2011 SWP WRX
    -Perrin Short Ram Intake
    -Perrin Turbo Inlet
    -Ultimate Racing Catback w/ Dual 4" Tips
    -Stage 1 Pro Tune by Rocksteady Tuning

you'll never get a straight answer asking this, this is like going on yahoo and posting a question that says "should i get a ford or a chevy, an evo or an sti". best bet is to go with what you usually ran before just make sure its synth, you'll get different answers for every response and 100 different reasons why 1 is better

If you are really concerned, pick a good oil that meets the specs per Subaru, and then run it for a while and get a used oil analysis. Questions like this won't yield too much decent information in my opinion.

I run rotella T6 5w-40 because it is cheap, and readily available in my area at multiple locations. However, it doesn't technically meet recommended Subaru guidelines IIRC, but my car doesn't drink it like it did with the Subaru brand of oil, so I've been sticking with it.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Rotella T6 or German Castrol have consistently posted the most promising UOAs.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

^ are these synth?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Rotella? Yeah full syn.
    2011 SWP WRX
    -Perrin Short Ram Intake
    -Perrin Turbo Inlet
    -Ultimate Racing Catback w/ Dual 4" Tips
    -Stage 1 Pro Tune by Rocksteady Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ are these synth?
    In the end, would it matter? A UOA is a UOA.

If a dino oil could provide better sheer resistance and breakdown resistance compared to a synthetic oil operating in the same conditions, I would gladly choose the dino oil.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.