TMIC removal and install

This is a discussion on TMIC removal and install within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Removal of the TMIC. Will be useful later on. Many episodes coming that require the removal of the TMIC. Full ...

TMIC removal and install

Removal of the TMIC. Will be useful later on. Many episodes coming that require the removal of the TMIC.

Full article written on the blog:
    Machine Zealots: Top Mount Intercooler Removal

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Nice blog you got there.

Just a suggestion, but when removing the tmic, could you not just un-clamp the BPV return hose instead of unbolting the BPV from the tmic? I feel like if you unbolt it you would need to buy a new gasket everytime you removed the tmic.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 09-12-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks for that info. I never thought about that. However, I have removed the TMIC around 5 times so far, and there haven't been any problems with the gasket just yet. However, I do see that as a possibility.

Thanks again for your comment!

If you are using the stock BPV clamp it is a royal pain to remove. If you use a different clamp it is very hard to position the clamp on the BPV and tighten it while the BPV is attached to the inter-cooler due to not having any space to work with. You also would need to remove the vaccum line from the BPV, which can break easily on higher mileage cars resulting in more hassle. Unbolting the BOV is by far the way to go. I have removed and replaced my TMIC and BPV gasket over 10 times and no problems with leaks. I just replaced it recently while chasing a suspected boost leak and it made no difference at all.

Thanks for this helpful information. Do you mind me quoting you on this if needed? Thanks for your detailed documentation on this subject! =D

Ha sure no problem.