DIY Remove Hill Assist WRX 08-13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY Remove Hill Assist WRX 08-13 within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This will be a tutorial for 2008-12013 subaru wrx. This will remove the hill assist and turn off the day ...

This will be a tutorial for 2008-12013 subaru wrx. This will remove the hill assist and turn off the day time running headlight.

1. remove handbrake boot

2. unbolt the screw on the top left corner

3. unbolt the two screws in the arm rest

4. lift up the top part of the console

5. undo the bolt in the red arrow

6. just twist the spring with green arrow so that it does hit the brake lever

7. tighten the bolt and put everything together.

Every i get enough ppl to ask me to make a video i will.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130220_205746.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	112075
    Last edited by huey412; 02-20-2013 at 08:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'd think you'd want this in Pittsburgh! I've grown to like it now that I know it's there. When it caught me off guard it was annoying.

edit: thankful for you writing it up though

Haven't taken a look at it myself... Is there a separate switch for the 'brake' warning light? or is that constantly illuminated?
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

Nice, ill probably make a video of this for the people that can't follow instructions.

Sent from iPhone
    2011 Base WRX

Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
    You'd think you'd want this in Pittsburgh! I've grown to like it now that I know it's there. When it caught me off guard it was annoying.

edit: thankful for you writing it up though
    Once you know how to drive a stick it really doesn't matter where your driving. The hills assist throws me off and i stall lol

Quote Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
    Haven't taken a look at it myself... Is there a separate switch for the 'brake' warning light? or is that constantly illuminated?
    The brake warning light on the dash will be constantly illuminated, unfortunately.

That's what I thought, and that makes for useless, sorry - not my thing.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

in these newer cars, does that parking brake switch also turn off the low-beam headlight?
    David - '05 WRX

I have the HID low beams. During "normal" daylight driving the DRL's are the hi-beams on low power. The hand brake turns them off, like when sitting on a hill at a traffic light. Once the LIGHTS are turned on, like driving early in the morning, the DRL's are off and handbrake makes no difference on the lights. When pulling the turn signal switch for flashing the hi's, the drl's go full power, no matter if DRL or low beam lights are on.
    The better solution for getting rid of DRL is to pull the relais behing (or really in front of) the glove box. . .

Pull the cluster and see if you can remove the bulb for the brake light. It would be pretty easy on my 02 not sure about other years though. As long as you remember when the hand brake is on you should be good.

Not so on the 08+. They have SMD LED's soldered to the circuit board and it's not that easy. I personally am not inclined to take that apart. And even then you'd be limited to put a cover over the LED, since removal of LED is either not possible or would destroy the assembly. There is a write-up for the TPMS light that goes there, the light gets covered. But in that case the circuit board is pulled away from the instruments as in "gap" and cover slid in between. Any more separation and the instruments are shot. I'm not ready to replace the cluster...

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    You can 'undo' the hill assist without monkeying around with the car like this - you're at a hill, you stop, as usual. Let your foot off the brake pedal and after a few seconds, the hill assist stops AND when you put your foot back on the brake again - it doesn't come back - for that stop only, of course.
    Sort of a work-around ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheleileigh Law View Post
    You can 'undo' the hill assist without monkeying around with the car like this - you're at a hill, you stop, as usual. Let your foot off the brake pedal and after a few seconds, the hill assist stops AND when you put your foot back on the brake again - it doesn't come back - for that stop only, of course.
    Sort of a work-around ...
    Why would you do that? Who would want to do that on every single hill?

duplicated.
    Last edited by huey412; 02-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huey412 View Post
    Why would you do that? Who would want to do that on every single hill?
    I don't, but it's something I discovered by accident that disengages the hill assist, so thought I'd let folks know, as some people really hate the hill assist function and maybe don't want to monkey around with the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast