DIY Remove Hill Assist WRX 08-13 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on DIY Remove Hill Assist WRX 08-13 within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Meh, I was thinking that. But the DRL is easy to remove on the passenger side behind the bumper... it's ...

Meh, I was thinking that.

But the DRL is easy to remove on the passenger side behind the bumper... it's a giant heatsink looking thing, just unplug it.
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

^ That causes some other issue, don't remember what that was, though. Something like no hi-beams or whatever...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheleileigh Law View Post
    I don't, but it's something I discovered by accident that disengages the hill assist, so thought I'd let folks know, as some people really hate the hill assist function and maybe don't want to monkey around with the car.
    Your really not doing anything that will hurt the car. Your basically moving the spring on the side so that the brake lever doesn't hit it.
    Last edited by huey412; 02-22-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ That causes some other issue, don't remember what that was, though. Something like no hi-beams or whatever...
    No side effects, it only disables the DRL's. High beams work no problem. I unplugged the relay and covered it in a few layers of electrical tape to keep water out of it (sits just front of the wheel well, which isn't completely sealed). I also used a zip tie to keep it high and dry.

I honestly don't remember, but there was a reason I didn't do it..., I guess I'll have to go back and check what it was I found back then... Or maybeeee it was just that someone cautioned this would be illegal, but I usually don't really go with such reasoning...

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    The brake warning light on the dash will be constantly illuminated, unfortunately.
    So, if anything goes wrong with the brake system you will never know about it because the warning light is already on?

^ Well, something is already been wrong: you been driving with the hand brake set, as far as the car knows...
    Really, there is no other notification and that's that. It's a lot like the TPMS, as I have winter wheels in it without the sensors and my tire pressure warning light is on all the time. I just live with that until spring and the summers go back on. If I really want the DRL's off I'll pull the relay that's there for that, the one behind the glove box... It's just not really important to me.

And I actually don't mind the hill assist. I basically ignore it. It is properly adjusted, not getting in the way and that's fine.
    Last edited by Ingo; 02-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ Well, something is already been wrong: you been driving with the hand brake set, as far as the car knows...
    Really, there is no other notification and that's that. It's a lot like the TPMS, as I have winter wheels in it without the sensors and my tire pressure warning light is on all the time. I just live with that until spring and the summers go back on. If I really want the DRL's off I'll pull the relay that's there for that, the one behind the glove box... It's just not really important to me.

And I actually don't mind the hill assist. I basically ignore it. It is properly adjusted, not getting in the way and that's fine.
    The relay to pull is not behind the glovebox - there may be another method I'm unaware of, but that's not how I did mine. The relay I disconnected is in the empty space near the air-box. Remove the front half of the box and it's sitting just below it. Disconnect either side and seal it up with some tape, and you'll have DRL's off without warning lights while maintaining hill assist and high-beam usage.

So, I just went thru the whole PDF service manual twice:
    I can find the Hill-Start assist only as a light in the dash driven by the VDC system, no go on disabling it (without affecting something else). I figure there must be some actuator for the brake to hold the car, it turns out there is, but it's in fact a function of ABS/VDC system, i.e. hydraulic... So I'll just continue to live with it. It's really not THAT bad.
    DRL's: It seems my recollection is wrong or impaired. The wiring diagram shows a resistor pack that is bypassed for full bright light. It IS the best way to turn the DRL off. The relay would likely do what I didn't want: keep the hi-beam from working. While the relay still seems to be behind the glove box, I now believe you ARE RIGHT and the best way is to diconnect the resistor.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    It's not that bad but i wish it either wasn't there OR you could, with a switch, flip it on/off. That way for daily drive you could have it on for ease and then for weekends or whatever, switch it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheleileigh Law View Post
    It's not that bad but i wish it either wasn't there OR you could, with a switch, flip it on/off. That way for daily drive you could have it on for ease and then for weekends or whatever, switch it off.
    That is actually a good idea. If i get enough people who wants me to wire the handbrake to a switch i will be more then happy to post a video.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12