general questions about tuning
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on general questions about tuning within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im currently looking to buy a cobb access port and ive been reading alot of information on them. I read ...

general questions about tuning

Im currently looking to buy a cobb access port and ive been reading alot of information on them. I read some magazine articles explaining how you should buy colder plugs and an air oil seperator. Therefore i was wonder if its absolutely necessary to do that before i do stage one? Any information would be useful im just looking for opinions as of now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you are going just stage 1 those things aren't necessary. All you would need is an AP. What year WRX do you have?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

2011 also when i want to do stage 2 does it matter what dp i get?

I believe that Cobb's maps are specifically designed for downpipes with a cat.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah.... but a lot of people run them on cars without.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

would there be a way besides protuning to get around the catted side of the tunes? or our we mostly just stuck with it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWRX
    would there be a way besides protuning to get around the catted side of the tunes? or our we mostly just stuck with it?
    Depends. If you experience boost spikes due to the catless downpipe, you can modify the tune to make up for that. If your car starts boost creeping, that's a mechanical problem and can't be "tuned around".
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Oh that's understandable. Thank you.

What DP you choose matters more in terms of what ones are most effective in that they have the best designs. The ones with cast iron merge collectors are the best to keep EGTs up, which used to just be Cobb and TurboXS, but in the last couple of years a number of others have started using them including CNT, Invidia (I think?) and others. I would also definitely get a catted DP because it will help prevent boost creep, allows you to pass visual emissions checks, and you're not going to hurt your performance at all by having a cat in there. The DP will flow more than you need for stage 2 levels with a cat in there.

I'd stick with the simple bellmouth designs too and not the ones with divorced piping that merges further down the pipe. And having a divorced wastegate is also something that has never been shown to make any improvement, though some companies advertise them as being important (of course they do, they built the part and are trying to sell it!).
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    What DP you choose matters more in terms of what ones are most effective in that they have the best designs. The ones with cast iron merge collectors are the best to keep EGTs up, which used to just be Cobb and TurboXS, but in the last couple of years a number of others have started using them including CNT, Invidia (I think?) and others.
    Post-turbo EGTs don't really mean much. The only thing you really need to consider with post-turbo and temperatures is heat soak from the downpipe on the TMIC.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    I would also definitely get a catted DP because it will help prevent boost creep, allows you to pass visual emissions checks, and you're not going to hurt your performance at all by having a cat in there. The DP will flow more than you need for stage 2 levels with a cat in there.
    Not all catted downpipes are created equal. Catalysts closer to the turbo restrict flow more, but do a better job filtering emissions. Downpipes that have the catalyst further down the stream aren't as restrictive, but don't filter emissions as well. At S2 power levels, the restriction may be somewhat negligible, but I would take a catless exhaust over catted any day of the week; I run an EWG, so boost creep isn't an issue for me, however.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I've read in my engineer book (all I do is read these kinds of.books) it truely does. The point of the exhaust is to expel the exhaust gasses as quickly as possible. And as well a catted exhaust system actually sucks some exhaust back into the engine. Thus hurting performance as-well-as hurting your turbo. That it is why believe it or not turbo charged vehicles are recommended straight pipes. But ill never straight pipe my scooby cause that sounds like crap. And only get a divorced wastegate if your pushing 20+ lbs of.boost.

Not trying to demeanor your response...... Or be a duche canoue :c I assuring you I'm quite the gentlemen. Just sharing my knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.