Reflective Grill Bagde $10 HOW-TO
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Reflective Grill Bagde HOW-TO within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I tried painting the side badge of my '11 wrx red and it turned out great. I had seen ...

UPDATE - Reflective Grill Bagde Front and Back $10 HOW-TO

So I tried painting the side badge of my '11 wrx red and it turned out great.

I had seen other posts on painting the front grill badge but I did not want to have the paint chip off easy and it look like crap in a year. So driving home today it just hit me. Why not use reflective tape. I dont know if this has been done or not but I thought i would give it a try. So a trip to Crappy-tire and here is my step by step for those who would like to try.

Items needed:
    Reflective Tape
    Exacto Knife
    Scotch Tape
    Brake Clean
    Steady Hand and Patience

1) I made a stencil first to get the proper shape. I laid a piece of paper over the badge and creased the edges.

2) After cutting out the stencil i checked to make sure it would be a good fit

3) Tape the stencil down onto the reflective tape then tape it down to a soft cutting surface

4) Carefully cut it out then check again with the badge to see if it is the correct size

5) Repeat for the R&X. The R is quite difficult and took a relitivly long time cut it out. Here are a few pictures of the final result.

Indoor picture

Outdoor with camera flash

Outdoor from the side

Outdoor with the lights on

I used brake clean to take off all the oils on the badge before applying the tape. When you cut out the tape, make sure you go deep and cut the tape and sticky backing all the way through so that it will not separate at the corners when you peel it away. Use a metal ruler for cutting all the sides to keep them straight.

So 2 hours and $10 later I think it looks great. I was impressed with how bright it was from just my camera flash. I wonder how it looks coming from the brake lights of a car infront of you. I dont know how long this will stand up in the weather but the tape seemed quite strong, thick and durable. At least its quickly reversable if it turns to crap in a few months.

If it holds up well, maybe I will do the rear badge Also could look good if you could somehow place it behind the Subaru logo to replace the blue.

Well hope it works out if you try it. Leave feedback.
    Last edited by kjddwrx11; 03-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that looks awesome dude
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Awesome

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good.I might try that with the front badge.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting idea

I'm curious how this will hold up to the elements, considering your car will see snow/salt...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Interesting idea

I'm curious how this will hold up to the elements, considering your car will see snow/salt...

ya, i guess time wil tell. i was wondering if there is a clear film that can be applied over top or it to seal the edges, something like a shrink wrap that can be heated. any ideas?

I Support ClubWRX
    I have to say, I saw the title and sighed, but it actually looks really freaking good! Nice work!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice cosmetic mod for sure. Worst case it falls off and a bottle of goo off will take ya back to ground zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I have to say, I saw the title and sighed, but it actually looks really freaking good! Nice work!
    I agree with ^^
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Here is a pic in daylight with no flash.

i like it. it's a different idea and seemed to come out pretty nice.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

So I decided to do the rear badge. I got all fancy and professional like and did an AutoCAD stencil undersized .045". Here are a few pics in my garage. Ill take a few outside at night soon. If anyone wants the .dwg of the stencil PM me and ill send it. Ill try to figure out a way to print it to scale in a PDF and update later.

That is kinda cool...and with proper precision, it would look close to stock on the STI badge I imagine.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    That is soooo cool.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That is kinda cool...and with proper precision, it would look close to stock on the STI badge I imagine.

Precision is the key. Since the tape is so thick, its quite tricky to cut precise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast