Looking for a diy for a rear break job on a 03 Subaru Impreza WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking for a diy for a rear break job on a 03 Subaru Impreza WRX within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 03 Impreza and I wanted to do a rear break job and I noticed that there was ...

Looking for a diy for a rear break job on a 03 Subaru Impreza WRX

I have a 03 Impreza and I wanted to do a rear break job and I noticed that there was a 32mm nut in there with a dent in it (assuming it keeps it from coming loose) and I have never worked with this kind of break system before. Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hmm....I don't recall finding a 32mm nut on my rear brakes when I replaced the pads and rotors. remove the two (I believe they are 17 mm) bolts holding the caliper onto the rotor, slip the caliper off (have something nearby to rest the caliper on so lines aren't damaged), take your e-brake off so you don't fail like I did and wonder why the hell the rotor won't come off, pull the rotor off. If it gets stuck, whack it with a deadblow or something. Although, they do also have threaded holes in the rear rotors for a tool that screws in and pushes the rotor off the hub assembly. You can also use properly sized bolts/screws. But, with the e-brake off it shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Come to think of it, 32 mm is a pretty big nut. Good chance that's the nut on the hub assembly, which you shouldn't have to mess with for brakes. If you were replacing the rear axle shaft maybe, but not for this.

I Support ClubWRX
    You do not have to remove the large central nut.

You may not even have to remove the discs; if they look OK I simply change the pads and drive on.

There is a photo-rich DIY thread in this forum, have a look. Made years ago by Pace.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    You most certainly don't need to loosen that nut. Just get the wheel off, and that's it. If the rotor is stuck, use a bolt in one of the holes toward the center of the disk to push the disk from the hub (if I remember correctly, it's an m12 bolt hole if you have the factory disks). This will loosen the disk, and it will pull right off. Also make sure the parking brake is off, as it's a drum brake contained within the center of the disk.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thank you all for the information. I have the caliper off and the bracket that holds it but I cant get the rotor off! and yes the e-brake is off. I tried to hit it with a hammer and it sound solid and I don't want to break the rotor (they are thin)

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you try the bolt through the disk method? My disks were practically welded on, but using those bolts helped push it off.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Hit it harder. Not really though. Go to your local hardware store and try to find the proper bolts. It works best with both holes filled and the bolts being tightened down fairly evenly. There's a chance your local autozone, advance auto, AA auto, pepboys, or what have you, will have the actual tool designed for this job for rent for a very cheap price. My rotors were a pain to get off, but I spent literally two and a half hours trying to get them off before I realized the e brake was a drum brake in the center of the rotor, so the twenty minutes it took to get it off after i realized that really wasn't that bad. I think rambo's right about it being an m12 bolt; I do not, unfortunately, know the specific pitch.

And wait..are you replacing the rotors? If you're replacing the rotors, who cares about breaking them. If you aren't, then they don't need to come off anyway.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.