02 WRX Manual boost controller
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Manual boost controller within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, my 02 wrx was a lemon and im slowly getting it back up to par. But the Turbo set ...

02 WRX Manual boost controller

Hi, my 02 wrx was a lemon and im slowly getting it back up to par. But the Turbo set up is kinda wack!

There is no boost controller at all! 1 Line (the blue one) that goes from the wastegate to the turbo. So I bought a cheap ebay MBC

I just need a little bit of help and advise on installing this without blowing up my engine. I found this

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Ins...gine&id=361277

and this

CobbTuning.com - How Subaruís Factory Boost Control System Works

But I have questions about the restrictor pill. If i even need it because with the current set up I don't think there is a restrictor pill. Pls help any feed back will be appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why not just get engine management if you want more boost? It will be a lot safer for your engine, plus you wont have to worry about running lean...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Why not just get engine management if you want more boost? It will be a lot safer for your engine, plus you wont have to worry about running lean...

With no boost controler he's going to be running waste gate pressure, EM or not.

OP, your best bet is to find a STOCK EBC for your car and install that. A step beyond that would be installing an aftermarket 3-port EBC and having it professionally tuned.

In any case, if you're dead set on running a MBC, you need to have your car professionally tuned for it. In other words, you're not going to be able to safely install that cheap eBay MBC without shelling out at least $300 for a tune.

(running straight waste gate pressure isn't really going to hurt your car, but it's certainly not going to perform its best)

True... his post had me kinda confused on what he is trying to do, some kind of Jerryrigging his car back together...
    OP- Was this done by the previous owner or are you just trying to work your away around power without tuning?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

You can just hook it up like the COBB picture shows except with the MBC in place of the factory boost control solenoid, you can probably get away without the restrictor pill with a MBC... Don't set it any higher than 16.5 Psi and watch out for FBPT...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

The current set up is the way I bought it. I'm just kinda short on $ at the moment and trying cheap alternatives to get more performance out of my subie! Its rediculouse getting beat by a stock civic! The way its set up now I'm only getting 7-8 psi.

Yes, I understand, wastegate pressure is all you are getting. The easy/cheap quick fix is a MBC but there is a downside of FBPT so be careful read up on that...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

A manual Boost controller is a recipe for disaster

i ended up going this route on my car with a 3 port ebc. it runs about $110 but it's easy to install. this video gives you a play by play but you will need a pill and a tune.
    YouTube - ‪GrimmSpeed Boost Control Solenoid Install‬‏

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Running straight off the wastegate is fine... i do that with my external wastegate. You dont need the computer to control the boost or even a boost controller.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.