1997 wrx sti

This is a discussion on 1997 wrx sti within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi i just bought a wrx and it was boosting sweet when i bought it then i drove down the ...

1997 wrx sti

hi i just bought a wrx and it was boosting sweet when i bought it then i drove down the road stopped the car got some food then came back and bam it wasnt boosting any longer, does anyone know a solution to this? im knew to having a turboed car so any help in what hoses and stuff i should check would help
    cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check the hoses that are connected to the turbo first and to the other ends of them. Do you happen to have a boost gauge?

i took the car to the mechanic it has a blown turbo would you say a tdo4 would be alright as a replacement?
    the oil looked like it hadnt been changed for awhile and may have made the turbo **** itself, and also the turbo had no wastegate actuator so wouldive been over spooling?

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    We do not have wrx's before 2002 in the United States, therefore I do not know what turbo you had in the car originally. I had a td04 in my 203 stock, but recently put in a vf-39 because I wanted more power.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

the european sti's have a different type of turbo design then the u.s. version. the one's that i've seen use 2 seporate side by side up pipes instead of one and the turbo has a divorced waste gate design on the turbo. if its european he'll probably have to get one from over there unless it was an RS swap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is your car an import from Japan?

My 95 WRX STI had a TD05 turbo in it, I think the TD04 is for the WRX only. If you have WRX STI then you should replace it with the same one you take out. your best bet is to check with a scooby forum in the UK. I am with scoobynet

Subaru Impreza WRX Sti Owners, Repairs, Wheels, Racing, Research - ScoobyNet.com

there are a lot of pre-2000 subaru jap imports in the UK and there are lot of people that know about them on the forum.

Hope this helps.

jp