04 WRX wont hold boost

This is a discussion on 04 WRX wont hold boost within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just baught the car and am new to the Subaru scene. I recently sold my Cobalt Super slow for ...

04 WRX wont hold boost

I just baught the car and am new to the Subaru scene. I recently sold my Cobalt Super slow for it. Well first off when hitting the gas at 3 to 4000RPMs regardless of gear the boost guage will shoot up to 20 then drop to twelve and continue to do this. Its not a boost guage problem because you can hear and feel the car loose it umph.

The car came with a COBB accessport and i am updating the software as i am typing this. It has the stage 2 Cobb tune on it but it is old so i will update the tune on it as well and see if that works.

I have checked every single vaccumm line hoping that this was the culprit, but saddly nothing was found. As far as i know it has a 3inch turbo back exhaust stock intake stage 2 clutch and some suspension upgrades. But this is the first turboed car i have owned so im new dont criticize haha. But any suggestion you can give me will greately help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

my car did the same thing and my car didnt hold boost because the clutch was gone?

Sorry i forgot to mention it also has a new Stage 2 clutch dont know the company that made it, but less that 10000 miles on it.

U sure it's a new clutch did u put it in or see a receipt sayen cuz my last owner said the sAme thing to me he said new ACT clutch and when I realized and changed it it was a burnout oem clutch and now I'm holding all the boost

So let me know if this sounds crazy, but i think maybe the turbo is going bad? There is some oil blow by on the turbo piping and smoke when in neutral and giving it gas. But when i take it for a nice rough drive it wont smoke but it still wont hold boost. Oh ya the new stage 2 flash from cobb didnt fix the not holding boost issue. And yes i saw the reciept for the clutch its good still.

It will not hold full boost all the way to redline because your turbo cannot handle it. I have an 04 STi and am running a VF39, ( a bigger turbo than a WRX) and I can spike to 21.5 psi but my boost will taper down to around 14.5 at redline. If you upgrade to a bigger turbo that can efficiently run 20 psi, i.e. FP green, or a GT30r, then you will be able to run 20 psi all the way to redline and you wont simply be blowing hot air.