Hid kit
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hid kit within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just picked up a new 2010 WRX. Looking to change the stock halogens to an HID kit. Does anyone know ...

Hid kit

Just picked up a new 2010 WRX. Looking to change the stock halogens to an HID kit. Does anyone know a good kit, should i get the 6k or 8k? Lastly, how does this effect the warranty? Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You cannot install HIDs in your halogen lights. You will blind other drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    You cannot install HIDs in your halogen lights. You will blind other drivers.
    THIS

X2

click link below and read to the end.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

thanks for the help. Are there Halogens that can reproduce a similar effect with out reducing visibility.

BTW, good article points out a lot of things i did not think about. Does this mean that HID kits knock out Hi beam's?

since our cars use a separate high and low beam bulb.. not just two filaments in the same bulb.. no, but.. the beam pattern will be all jacked up. Not a evening goes by that I'm not blinded atleast once by some jackass with a improper hid conversion. If you really want hid's.. either retrofit, pay to have retrofit done or just bite the bullet (really expensive) and go with sti headlights n bits.

Otherwise you can look around and find halogen bulbs that will give the color you want. Be ware on that too though, they tend to over rate the wattage to overcome the filter tint on the bulb and they either
    a. run hot and melt reflectors and housings
    b. melt harnesses because of increased draw
    c. live alot shorter lives

is it just the color you want or an increase in output? If you look around you can get better halogen bulbs than the factory ones. OEM equipment is always a compromise of cost vs function. Personal owners like you and I dont have to compromise Check this one out too;

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...lbs/bulbs.html

lots of info. There's ways to get good light without sacrificing legality or proper function.
    Last edited by mangostick; 07-09-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I am just looking to get a nice clean white light with a hint of blue. I like the sharp line (cut off) the HID's produce on surfaces. My buddy has a Lexus with HID (factory) and those things look so sweet.

I was looking at the link you provided, I am not sure which would work for my desired effect or at least come close to it. Any recommendations?

Your help is much appreciated!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Machine View Post
    I am just looking to get a nice clean white light with a hint of blue. I like the sharp line (cut off) the HID's produce on surfaces. My buddy has a Lexus with HID (factory) and those things look so sweet.

I was looking at the link you provided, I am not sure which would work for my desired effect or at least come close to it. Any recommendations?

Your help is much appreciated!
    The sharp cutoff has nothing to do with the HIDs and everything to do with the optics.

So are the stock projectors going to provide a sharp cut off? My guess is no...

Can you rec a halogen that would provide the clean white light with a hint of blue in it please.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Machine View Post
    So are the stock projectors going to provide a sharp cut off? My guess is no...

Can you rec a halogen that would provide the clean white light with a hint of blue in it please.
    I'll jump in here as I can speak from experience on the matter as I've done a lot of research on this and tried a couple options. No need to flame me--I just found it difficult to believe one side or the other of the debate with how polarized it is, so I did my own testing on my WRX.

I tried a 35 watt HID 5000k HID kit in the stock halogen projects. Just looking at them without actually using them on the highway, the results weren't terrible but definitely not optimal. Cutoff was fair and there was a bit of glare (plenty of pictures out there to confirm that). I live in luxury car central where everyone has HIDs and I've had numerous people confirm that the glare really isn't noticeably more than other vehicles. There is a dead giveaway that the projectors aren't designed for HIDs--the blue-ish color at the top of the cutoff where the light is getting bent. The lights actually look blue from most angles except directly in front of the vehicle at distances >15ft it looks bright white. And the color varies from a shade of purple at the very top to blue and white. Pretty sure that fits in the rice category.

As for using these lights for the supposed benefits of a brighter and whiter light, the results are nill. I used them for the first time on the highway last weekend coming back from New Jersey and I saw only minimal improvement. I noticed that some vehicles with HIDs from the factory had brighter lights, but who knows if this was due to wattage, color temperature, or optics of the projector. Overall when considering the money and effort spent on installing HIDs I give it a thumbs down. Really not worth it, especially when considering you technically can get a ticket with them. And when comparing mine to high quality HIDs, there is a huge difference. At one point I was next to an Audi R8 and the output of those lights were ridiculous...as they should be for a car that costs six figures.

As for getting a brighter and whiter halogen, there are numerous options out there but I'm sure you won't get close to HID colors without sacrificing brightness. I've actually tried Hella H4s in the past and they are noticeably brighter (and legal!) but have reliability issues. Probably not worth trying unless one of your factory lights goes out and you need a replacement.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    The sharp cutoff has nothing to do with the HIDs and everything to do with the optics.
    I was under the impression the sharp cutoff in cheap kits is just a simple metal edge (eg, covering a flashlight half way with the side of your hand).

I don't know if anybody here is very knowledgeable in the area, but I am curious why this metal edge causes a sharper cutoff with HIDs vs. normal light:
    -Difference in the distance between bulb and edge with normal lights vs HIDs?
    -Huygen's principle might depend on frequency or light type?
    -Normal lights act more as a point source where HIDs act as a double point source?

Just kicking around a few (not well thought out) ideas. If anybody knows or has an opinion I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

wow I am glad this i am not alone on this! I will probably try some H4's out on my car before the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I was under the impression the sharp cutoff in cheap kits is just a simple metal edge (eg, covering a flashlight half way with the side of your hand).

I don't know if anybody here is very knowledgeable in the area, but I am curious why this metal edge causes a sharper cutoff with HIDs vs. normal light:
    -Difference in the distance between bulb and edge with normal lights vs HIDs?
    -Huygen's principle might depend on frequency or light type?
    -Normal lights act more as a point source where HIDs act as a double point source?

Just kicking around a few (not well thought out) ideas. If anybody knows or has an opinion I'm curious.

Its the optics and how they're designed.. check the Daniel Stern like I posted Lots of info there.. pretty much breaks it right down.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.