06 wrx brake change questions(4)

This is a discussion on 06 wrx brake change questions(4) within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my 06 wrx has stock front brake pads on it. i am changing them to hawk hps and my question ...

06 wrx brake change questions(4)

my 06 wrx has stock front brake pads on it. i am changing them to hawk hps and my question is do i need to replace the shims and pin retainer springs as well, new ones did not come with the pads?

what brake fluid upgrade is compatable with stock fluid when changing brake fluid?

when resurfacing youe rotors what is the min thickness before replacement and i heard after cutting the rotor you re-cut the rotor in reverse("reverse swirll") to gain better pad seating?

any help would be great.. im a noob appreciate everything

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gareeyn1chols View Post
    my 06 wrx has stock front brake pads on it. i am changing them to hawk hps and my question is do i need to replace the shims and pin retainer springs as well, new ones did not come with the pads?
    You don't need to replace the shims as long as none are missing. Some people might have a different opinion but I have never had a problem. If you are not going to replace them I would say you should clean and re-grease everything.

what brake fluid upgrade is compatable with stock fluid when changing brake fluid?
    You can use stock fluid or most DOT 3 unless you want to flush the system and go to a DOT 4 fluid

when resurfacing youe rotors what is the min thickness before replacement and i heard after cutting the rotor you re-cut the rotor in reverse("reverse swirll") to gain better pad seating?
    For the minimum thickness call the dealer and ask as for cutting the rotor in reverse you cant do that or well I have never even used a machine that allowed to cut in reverse... unless you did it by hand which would be very inaccurate. Just turn the rotors if you can (you should be able to) then make sure you follow the bead in procedure just as the hawk manual tells you to do and you will be fine

Best of luck to you
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Personally I think it's a good thing when my trannys suck, but that's just personal preference.

As for resurfacing rotors you may be better off to just replace them with brembo blanks or oem.
    https://www.thekingofparts.com/servl...6%2B%3ABraking
    Sometimes after resurfacing them they tend to warp much quicker and you'll end up putting new ones on sooner then you hoped.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

1 - You should be fine re-using the shims and retaining springs. I don't see that causing any problems. If they "HAD" to be changed every time, I would think that they would come in the packaging, especially with HAWK pads.

2 - If you want to "top off" the master cylinder, use the stock fluid if that is what is in your system already. If you are talking about a flush, use whatever you want; DOT 3, DOT 4, MOTUL, what's your poison. Just do not put something less than DOT 3 in, as it may cause problems with the system.

3 - I have never heard of cutting the rotors in reverse... I don't think I would even begin to try that...

Hope that helps a little bit, if not, sorry. And about the min turn thickness, it should be stamped on the hub somewhere, either inside the mount hub, or on the outside, I think that is a mandatory regulation that is followed. But I think that I would just replace the rotors.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Yes, you can reuse your shims.... just clean them well.

You shouldn't need new fluid. In fact, when you compress the brake pistons back inside the calipers to accomodate the thickness of the new pads, your brake fluid level should go UP in your resevoir.

However... a flush is a good thing. I like ATE Super blue racing fluid..... withstands a LOT of heat, and it is not terribly expensive. Plus, you can tell when the system is clear, because all the red fluid is gone, and tuned dark blue. A $15-$20 can is plenty enough to flush the whole car.

The minimum allowable tolerances for the rotor thickness is stamped on the backside of the rotor. I don't remember off hand what they were.... but I do remember having my stock rotors turned, and the tech "almost" wouldn't do it for me because he was afraid it would go past the allowable thickness.

He did... and they were fine..... but I only had a slight wobble before turning them.

If your car is shaking bad.... I can tell that it will take more cutting to get them straight than what the rotors will allow..... so just replace them if that is the case.

Good luck.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Like said before hand, don't worry about anything besides just the pads.

If you're doing a fluid flush... do lines at the same time. It's the smart way to go about things.

Unless you drive extremely hard, it's very difficult to actually warp the metal it's self on your rotors. In general brake vibration with a WRX is caused only from deposits from the pads. So turning the rotors (WITHIN SPEC) should get rid of any brake vibration.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!