TurboXS Dyno out of commission
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on TurboXS Dyno out of commission within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; TurboXS's dyno is broke! How many of you were scheduled for a dyno tune? Understand it could be down for ...

TurboXS Dyno out of commission

TurboXS's dyno is broke!

How many of you were scheduled for a dyno tune?
    Understand it could be down for weeks.
    Are there any alternatives if you can't wait?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

maybe it'll give em more time to spend on the firmware

Wow! Sounds like EVERYTHING at TXS is breaking lately. Maybe they just don't want to dyno tune anymore. Just like their unichip programming equipment "broke" just as everyone started picking them up secondhand.

Yup, I was scheduled for a dyno tune today. I'm getting real tired of driving my car like a grandma
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Originally posted by Wade-0
    Wow! Sounds like EVERYTHING at TXS is breaking lately. Maybe they just don't want to dyno tune anymore. Just like their unichip programming equipment "broke" just as everyone started picking them up secondhand.

Wade,
    You are perfectly welcome to come to the shop and pick up our broken unichip hardware. If you wish to attempt to repair it and use it for yourself or the good of the Subaru community go for it. I love how you are hot at us because of a product you purchased used for 200 bucks. I personally never felt we should reprogram used unichips, but was over-ruled on that decision.

As it stands now we don't the ability to program the chips so it's a non-issue.

I've been offering customers who actually purchased the chips from us a pretty substantial discount on the price of a new UTEC in exchange for their unichips (which we will likely burn one day). In fact my discount is higher then the going price for one of these in the private for sale forums.

As for our dyno our driver's side rear hub is not reporting a power or RPM reading. We are working with dynapack to get it sorted, but it is unlikely that they will provide us with a quick solution. The dyno failure hits me directly in the wallet, and I hope the issue is resolved quickly.

-Nathan
    www.turboxs.com
    Last edited by nmyeti; 02-22-2004 at 06:53 PM.
    -Nathan
    12.3@110.4
    When in doubt, add more boost!

Dear Nathan,
    That whole thing about the unichip makes me mad. I purchased my utec a while after it first came out cause I already had the unichip. I missed out on the discount you guys were giving to people who had the unichip who wanted the utec when it first came out. This was basically cause I didn't know about the utec. Then, I get the utec, and was informed that I wouldn't get anything off because I already had a utec. Now you're saying that txs is reinstating the discount? You're giving people who paid $200 for unichips a discount when you wouldn't give me a discount when I baught it from you guys for a LOT more? Also, from what I remember you guys said you'd reflash the unichips for the life of the system......

I got a top mount intercooler form you guys and had to grind some of my bov flange to fit it on. The intercooler also came with metal shavings inside it(good thing I looked in). I also know of many other people who have had the same problem, and other problems like front mount intercooler hoses rubbing and breaking open. Now you don't even sell the intercoolers.

I've been waiting months for your updade on the utec(not that I really need it but it would be nice) along with a lot of people who baught the utec and can't even use it safely. When I first got my utec, I read the manual and kept seeing "UTEC TUNING GUIDE" which was supposed to help people like me learn how to tune my car the utec. I guess you guys decided your customers who were using your product to tune their cars didn't need to know how to tune it? If you made the tuning guide that you guys said would come with the utec, tuning woulda been so much easier for so many of us..... What's the deal?
    Sincerely,
    Hippy

Originally posted by nmyeti
    I personally never felt we should reprogram used unichips, but was over-ruled on that decision.
    That doesn't come as a shock to me. What pisses me off is that you and Phil both made it very clear that you would continue to support the unichip, and I asked you both directly if you would before I bought mine. Why no remarks about buying it secondhand then? I really love your snotty attitude when dealing with customers in a public forum too. Just because I didn't buy it from YOU doesn't mean ****. I bought it off a guy who used the cash to buy a new UTEC, because you were shafting all your existing unichip customers on the trade in program. Good luck with your "business" and I hope everyone reads this before they think about ordering something from you

I personally never felt we should reprogram used unichips, but was over-ruled on that decision.
    Huh? Is 100% profit not enough for you or what? (I'm not familiar with unichip -- are they profiled, like Cobb, where you just reprogram it the way the customer says, or do you dyno tune? Either way you're making a killing)

I'm no businessman, but I think it's pretty well understood that sharing your undermining tactics with potential and existing customers is generally a bad idea.

Thumbs down

way to go TXS

by the way, not to hi-jack the thread, will a txs unichip used on a 2002 WRX fit a 2003 WRX?

... i'm going somewhere with this one.

the 02 unichip will work on the 03, but there is no harness for the 03 to make it plug n play. i think thats how it works, but if i'm wrong someone please correct me. i would suggest you look at the cobb chip or something else and not bother with a unichip at this point.

back on topic...

o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    the 02 unichip will work on the 03, but there is no harness for the 03 to make it plug n play. i think thats how it works, but if i'm wrong someone please correct me. i would suggest you look at the cobb chip or something else and not bother with a unichip at this point.

back on topic...

o-|-<) bryan
    the reason i asked is because when I called TXS and asked them if it will work on a 2003, they point blank told me that IT WON'T. or were they just trying to do away with the unichip?!?

I've heard that it will work, but will also cause a CEL. At any rate, I think it's safe to say that if it involves a unichip, you're on your own now.

As for our dyno our driver's side rear hub is not reporting a power or RPM reading. We are working with dynapack to get it sorted, but it is unlikely that they will provide us with a quick solution. The dyno failure hits me directly in the wallet, and I hope the issue is resolved quickly.

-Nathan
    www.turboxs.com
    I believe the same thing is happening with XX tuning in CT. what's wrong w/ all the dynapacks?

dR

Originally posted by qoncept
    Huh? Is 100% profit not enough for you or what? (I'm not familiar with unichip -- are they profiled, like Cobb, where you just reprogram it the way the customer says, or do you dyno tune? Either way you're making a killing)

We were reprogramming around 30-50 a month for free at its peak. Often times we'd have to spend a great deal of time on the phone with customers who sent the unichip with a note of their modifications (Some of which we didn't have a program for) or with people that didn't send any way to pay for return shipping. Usually we took about 1 week to turn around the chips because we would do them in large batches to try to make the most efficient use of time.

Typically we'd get about 10 of those 30-50 customers that would call and gripe us out over the phone for how long our "Free" service was taking. Usually these were the same customers that put a note about modifications that were not remotely related to any staged base-map we had ever used or didnít put proper contact information in the box with their chip.

In any case we supported this market as long as our hardware held out. I am not interested in purchasing new Unichip programming hardware though another vendor, and our relationship with Dastek is kaput. It's my understanding that they will not sell to us.

We did not plan for our programming cables to take a dive. It just happened. We would still be supporting you guys if they were working. If someone wants to supply us with working cables they are welcome to do it I will start retuning the chips the moment I confirm that the cables work. If someone wants our entire catalog of maps on disk so they can setup their own free used unichip programming service, Iíll be happy to transfer them off the hard-drive. We even have a custom built unichip test stand (since dastek doesnít offer this and had some serious issues with consistency of MAF pull down in the coarse adjustment fuel table) that every reprogrammed chip was tested on and the excel worksheet to determine the proper multiplication offset for the fuel map when using a set of STI injectors that Iíd be willing to offer up to someone if they were interested in picking up the slack here.

How did the unichip hardware get broken? We loaned the laptop and cables to a tuner facility so that they could tune one of their local autoX cars. It hasnít worked since it came back.
    -Nathan
    12.3@110.4
    When in doubt, add more boost!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.