CEL fix no good on 04's - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

This is a discussion on CEL fix no good on 04's within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; problem solved.... the CEL eliminator works...

problem solved.... the CEL eliminator works

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well...I just got my CEL yesterday for the first time after installing Invidia downpipe I had the downpipe on for about 3-4 days. I went to Pepboys and bought (1) HELP! Spark Plug Non-Flouler #42002 $3.00 and (1) #42009 $4.99, the difference between these two is that the 42009 comes with a gasket and the 42002 doesn't come with a gasket, but is "long tapered". I also got 1 pack (5 in one pack) 1000k-Ohm Resistors at 1/4 watt with 5% tolerance for $0.99 (just in case if the non-foulers don't work) So...i think i'm good to go...

my plan is to:
    1. connect the two pieces (with the gasket between them)and screw into the downpipe
    2. connect the O2 sensor on top of that...

is this it???...do i need to disconnect the battery terminal?

thanks,
    ..(ya..noobie here )

Originally posted by SWRX
    ... [snip]

my plan is to:
    1. connect the two pieces (with the gasket between them)and screw into the downpipe
    2. connect the O2 sensor on top of that...

is this it???...do i need to disconnect the battery terminal?

thanks,
    ..(ya..noobie here )
    You will need to drill a 1/2" hole through the tapered one, then screw this into the one with the gasket. Leave the gasketed one alone, no need to drill it. Tighten snuggly to crush the gasket onto the 02 mounting bung. Finally screw the 02 sensor in and tighten snuggly, then plug it into the electrical connector.

Finally, reset the CEL by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, and press on the brake a few times to fully discharge any residual power. Reconnect the negative battery terminal and start the car. The CEL should be gone. Go out and test drive.

Originally posted by WRXncrew
    You will need to drill a 1/2" hole through the tapered one, then screw this into the one with the gasket. Leave the gasketed one alone, no need to drill it. Tighten snuggly to crush the gasket onto the 02 mounting bung. Finally screw the 02 sensor in and tighten snuggly, then plug it into the electrical connector.

Finally, reset the CEL by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, and press on the brake a few times to fully discharge any residual power. Reconnect the negative battery terminal and start the car. The CEL should be gone. Go out and test drive.
    Thanks!...that was pretty clear...
    one thing...the guy who installed my downpipe sprayed some WD-40 on the O2 sensor "nut" part when he was unable to unscrew it, and then wiped the "sensitive sensor part" before screwing it back in!!!!...so, I'm guessing there is some WD-40 in the actual sensor itself.
    1. Will this cause the CEL to stay on even with the Non-fouler fix correctly installed?...
    2. Should I get ready to dish out some money for the O2 sensor set up???!!!

Thanks so much...again!

Originally posted by SWRX
    Thanks!...that was pretty clear...
    one thing...the guy who installed my downpipe sprayed some WD-40 on the O2 sensor "nut" part when he was unable to unscrew it, and then wiped the "sensitive sensor part" before screwing it back in!!!!...so, I'm guessing there is some WD-40 in the actual sensor itself.
    1. Will this cause the CEL to stay on even with the Non-fouler fix correctly installed?...
    2. Should I get ready to dish out some money for the O2 sensor set up???!!!

Thanks so much...again!
    No, WD-40 shouldn't cause any problems. It will just evaporate or burn off from the hot exhaust gases. If there's a problem with the 02 sensor, the OBD-II code probably won't be the same as an 0420.

Confused conclusion

2003 Ej20 wrx

Ok so the ressistor worked for 1000, 2000 miles before the light UNFORTUNATELY came back on right? i really want to leave the drilling part for my last option.

I just got a DCsports uppipe and a godspeed downpipe, the downpipe is longer than expected, is the one that eliminates TWO cats, i dont want to return it bc i want the extra power

before i install both theese parts i want to get this right, i need to install the 1M OHM resistor in between/inside the BLUE cable on the DOWNPIPE 02 censor right?

and for the UPpipe do i do the same OR do i directly stick the resistor inside the female of the 02 censor wiring harness?

please help, thank you.
    Last edited by spatwinturbo; 01-14-2010 at 06:05 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ride5000 View Post
    gary,

take pilotdoc's advice. since you have an 04, it seems that these are much more likely to throw the "slow r o2s response" code if you use a traditional resistor + cap low pass filter. so what folks have done is just use the 1megohm resistor, in series with the signal line from the rear o2 sensor. this means that you will have to cut the wire at some point along its length.

i have an 03 (so i used the resistor and the cap together) and i preferred to do the cutting/tapping right at the ECU's wiring harness connections, under the passenger's feet. some folks prefer to do it under the car, near the o2 sensor itself. it doesn't matter, electronically. i am very comfortable with a soldering iron and the climate is much nicer in the cabin vs. under the car, so i chose to do it there.

go to ravensblade's site and you can get the pinouts if you chose to do it at the ECU. they will be substantially the same from 02 to 04 models.

any 1megohm resistor will do. negligble power is disspated so even a tiny 1/4 watt rated resistor will suffice. you can get these at radio shack for a buck.

hth
    ken
    In series means you have to cut the wire and use the resistor as a bridge to reconnect the wire. Thats as simple as I can put it. Yes it is for the rear 02 sensor.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-15-2010 at 07:14 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

My resistor fixed the 0420 code in my 02' bugeye but im getting a 0139 slow sensor speed code like C5racr said. Goes off and on. Seems like if I cold start or dont let it warm up completely itll throw the code and then go away in a day or 2... Replace the resitor and same thing.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just disbaled it with Opensource software. I don't even run a rear O2 sensor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.