CEL fix no good on 04's - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on CEL fix no good on 04's within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by frisco-wrx-dude The sensor that u guys are putting this resistor is the one on the uppie am ...

Originally posted by frisco-wrx-dude
    The sensor that u guys are putting this resistor is the one on the uppie am I correct? Cuz I don't see any sensor on the downpipe...
    you're right, there's no sensor on the oem dp itself.

the rear o2s is on the mid pipe, which is downstream of the dp. some dps, however, replace both the oem dp and oem midpipe sections, which then puts the rear o2s on the dp.

i do believe that we're talking about the fix for a rear cat code, not an egt code, which is traditionally associated with the up pipe and it's cat removal. confusing, i know.

hth
    ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the "perrin" downpipe which is like what u said, it combined teh midpipe and the downpipe together.

So there should be a sensor for this along with the uppie for a total of "two" sensors. And the Resistor to fix the CEL is on the "mid/downpipe" sensor which "should' be on the midpipe or closer to the turbo. And the sensor on the uppie is just the EGT and we leave that one alone...

Plesae forgive me for my ignorance, trying to understand the concept. I shoulda installed the pipes myself.. then i would know more..

Originally posted by frisco-wrx-dude
    I have the "perrin" downpipe which is like what u said, it combined teh midpipe and the downpipe together.

So there should be a sensor for this along with the uppie for a total of "two" sensors. And the Resistor to fix the CEL is on the "mid/downpipe" sensor which "should' be on the midpipe or closer to the turbo. And the sensor on the uppie is just the EGT and we leave that one alone...

Plesae forgive me for my ignorance, trying to understand the concept. I shoulda installed the pipes myself.. then i would know more..
    yes, there is a sensor along the length of your new downpipe. it should be right around the back end of the transmission, which is right underneath the shift lever in the cabin. it is screwed into a bung in the pipe. one or two small plastic clips hold the wire from the sensor in place and keep it from snagging objects. there is a plug at the end of the section of wire which joins the o2s to the car's ECU harness. if you wanted you could quite simply remove the entire o2 sensor and take it somewhere easier to work.

the egt is the only sensor on/in the up pipe.

there is one more--in the passenger's side exhaust manifold collector, which feeds the up pipe, there is the front o2 sensor. this is the very important one, which is used to control fuel at part throttle conditions. you should not have a need to screw with this one at all.

hth
    ken

Does anyone know if the HKS stainless downpipe replaces both the down and mid pipe? If it does and if I gutted my uppipe, I would essentially then be running catless ? Now that we figured out that a 1mOhm resistor fixes the cel code thrown, what fixes the EGT problem from running a catless uppipe? I heard this is a problem because the sensor in the uppipe recognizes a heat problem because of the cat being removed. How is this fixed?
    Also, has the 1mOhm resistor become the definite solution to the cel problem on the 04', no one who has done this fix has had a problem again? I think this is something that needs to be updated in a little while, I heard of cels being thrown months after a mod was done. Thanks everyone

--Jay--

Thanks everyone......

Thanks to everyone for the great response in helping me find a solution to this issue.
    You were all very knowledgeable and informative.
    I will try the 1Mohm fix and let everyone know how it goes.
    I'm feelin' lucky........

Best Regards to all,

Gary.

Ride5000 has explained all the sensors very nicely.

04silverbullet: The HKS downpipe replaces the downpipe and midpipe so yes, you would be running catless.

I have had no problems since doing the fix described, more than 6 months. I also have a 2.2kOhm resistor in place of the factory EGT sensor to compensate for my aftermarket uppipe. I left the only other sensor alone, which is the front o2 sensor in the exhaust manifold collector, this is just in front of the uppipe, described by ride5000.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

I have had a 1 mohm resistor on my O2 for 3500 miles now and still no CEL with my Invidia downpipe . It used to throw a CEL every 50 miles but not anymore !
    2004 STI ----- 11.66 @ 125.66 w/ 1.9 60' ----- 537HP/487TQ ----- 93 Octane/Water Injection
    WWW.F1DYNO.COM

Does anyone know the color of the O2 sensor wire that gets the resistor. I see 3 wires and I assume 1xpower, 1xground, 1xsensor?
    Thanks,
    04 JBP
    Stock - they are watching.

Its the blue wire......

On my '04 it was a blue wire.
    Works GREAT! after 750 miles.

Gary.

Thank you for the reply.
    04 JBP
    Stock - they are watching.

Re: Its the blue wire......

Originally posted by wrxon
    On my '04 it was a blue wire.
    Works GREAT! after 750 miles.

Gary.
    Blue wire at the bottom with the 02 sensor or Blue at the ECU part?

anyone know what color it is if we connect the fix on the ECU side?

- John

on my 03 the wire colors flipped at the ecu.. iow, the white was signal w/shield, and the blue was sensor ground.

ravensblade has got the ecu pinouts. they were accurate on my car.

hth
    ken

Can someone please post the site of ravensblade?

Thanks!

- John

Forget it.. I found it.

Ravensblade's ECU Website

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.