Stage2 + Protune Review
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage2 + Protune Review within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A while back I had my 2002 WRX protuned on basic stage2 mods and the request of a few people ...

Stage2 + Protune Review

A while back I had my 2002 WRX protuned on basic stage2 mods and the request of a few people here is a short review.

Involvement:

- If you already have the AP and are running stage2 you basically already have all the work done for the most part. The only thing that I highly recommend is to get tuned after you have done everything you want to do mod wise. There is no point in paying for a protune with a catted uppipe and then deciding to add an uppipe and paying to get tuned again.
    When I brought my car in for the tune I was running a turboback exhaust, catless flex uppipe, samco hoses, IC tilt mod and of course, Cobb AP on the stage2 OTS map.
    You are also charged by the hour for the tuning and most places will give you 2 or 3 dyno runs with the tune included in the cost. I advise not to bring your car in if you think something might not be running right (A/F's are off, lean, rich, etc.. ) because after the tune this will show up and then you are also paying for them to try to work THAT problem out.

Impressions:

- I did not run the OTS stage2 map for too long prior to the tune... I would say a bit less than 2 months. I expected a bit more from the OTS stage2 map so that kinda pushed me to jump right into the protune. Before the AP I ran a MBC setup which did feel quicker than my OTS stage2... However, after the protune my car felt considerably stronger than either of the previous setups.

The main thing to note here is just how well rounded the performance becomes. Many people comment on how stage2 is how the car should have come because it makes it much more driveable... Well that is precisely what the protune does, but to an even further extent. Boost comes on earlier, really does hold to redline. I get full spool by 3,000 rpm's and until I shift that gear that power is strong and linear. With the protune (at least in my experience) it is not about the peak power or necessarily the "speed" at which the car can be increased, but more-so about the driveability.

Boost comes on much quicker, not just in the spooling "earlier" but spooling FASTER. The thing I like most is how linear the power is. Cobb OTS maps can surge a bit a WOT and the protune works these kinks out. Lastly, another thing worth noting is how when downshifting and rev matching while rolling the car is smoother with the onset of boost and power making that task a bit easier and due to the fast spool of the turbo and the power being held until redline it makes the overall experience much better.

Overall, I would highly recommend the move to a protune if you are not ready to upgrade the turbo and still want more power and more importantly "BETTER" power.

As for the numbers:

My car dyno'd 237whp/234wtq. I am not seeing any boost spikes, but yet I am able to peak at nearly 17psi... Supposedly I could have seen 240whp+ on a more aggressive tune, but I wanted to try and keep things safe.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I thought of an analogy:

If you are running stage2 OTS and get a good protune, it is similar to the feelings of going from a stock wrx to a stage1 wrx. That extra power, but more importantly smooth delivery and faster spool is what to expect when going OTS to protune.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice writeup and great numbers, Donnie.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice writeup. Sounds like you've got a beast of a car now!

IBomgurtrannysucksandwillblowupandkillyourchildren
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    IBomgurtrannysucksandwillblowupandkillyourchildren
    Pics please.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I am thinking about getting a protune in the future. I had my stage 2 dyno'd and came up with 245whp, and 243wtq. Did you happen to dyno the car before the protune? If so what kind of whp did you have at stage 2.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

'05 2.0l WRX, 245awhp, 243awtq. Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Why not put who tuned the car in the thread.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by lonedw86 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a protune in the future. I had my stage 2 dyno'd and came up with 245whp, and 243wtq. Did you happen to dyno the car before the protune? If so what kind of whp did you have at stage 2.
    Wow! Those are some high numbers. Either your car is a freak or you dyno'd on an "ego booster".

I forget what the average was between the pulls but ~ 14whp and 10wtq with the protune. From what I was told and have read, it is def. possible to get more, but I was weary of running too aggressive of a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Why not put who tuned the car in the thread.
    I forgot to add that.

Genesis Racing & Development (GRD) in Naperville, IL.

They have a lot of experience and were pretty close to me. Only problem is that as of now they are only using 1 tuner so there is usually a wait to get the car tuned.... Though from what I understand, many places are like this.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lonedw86 View Post
    He dyno'd on the same DynoJet I did on the same day (see current avatar).

I got 228 / 230 on a OTS Cobb stage 2 map (more than JR did).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Not only do you have a better tune, but you've got a tune which has been looked over by a professional as well with proper tools to datalog your vehicle while adjusting the tune.

Basemaps while fine and dandy still leave a lot on the table, and *may* run fine on your vehicle.

I Support ClubWRX
    +2 brian....I've been called crazy because I said even if I go AP stg1 I would have my car on the dyno just to check AFR even if they dont tinker with it more just to be safe. I dont trust ANY OTS map for continous driving.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Not only do you have a better tune, but you've got a tune which has been looked over by a professional as well with proper tools to datalog your vehicle while adjusting the tune.

Basemaps while fine and dandy still leave a lot on the table, and *may* run fine on your vehicle.
    Good point.

I had faith in Cobb's OTS map for the most part, so that was not a huge player in the decision for a protune... But now that I think about it, since I went with a fairly conservative tune, my car is probably more reliable and more efficient WITH the protune.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Thanks, i want to get a protune when i get some extra money. I also have to find someone close to do it. This is the first car i tinkered with. My other car was a ford ranger, which i still have and use for alot of my daily driving. I posted my dyno graph in the icy/phoenix meet thread, if you guys wanna look at it and give me some comments or pointers.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

Blobeye Syndicate #26

Banned
    Thanks for the writeup! I have my appointment in April and I'm looking forward to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.