Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; wow thats a lot of reading. its too late tonight, but i'll be sure to check back when my eyes ...

wow thats a lot of reading. its too late tonight, but i'll be sure to check back when my eyes work a little better.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Simply amazing! That was full of good information, it was well written and I'm a lot more knowledgable than I was 10 minutes ago.

Q: So what r u going to do?
    A: I'm gonna dip my balls in it!!!

Just kiddin, I had to throw that in there. Awesome post and thank you once again!

thank you for posting that

Thumbs up

Cheers and HOORAH!!!!

Very informative reads. I want more. Any suggestions?
    Never stop learning.

question on pistons..

Hi..got a question on pistons.

For a 4-stroke internal combustion engine, I do know that during the 3rd stroke(power), the spark plug ignites the air/fuel mixture which creates a pressure which forces down the piston.

But what causes the piston to move up and down during the other 3 strokes? namely, intake, compression and exhaust.

Do correct me where I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by aloozer
    Hi..got a question on pistons.

For a 4-stroke internal combustion engine, I do know that during the 3rd stroke(power), the spark plug ignites the air/fuel mixture which creates a pressure which forces down the piston.

But what causes the piston to move up and down during the other 3 strokes? namely, intake, compression and exhaust.

Do correct me where I'm wrong.

Thank you.
    Since that rod is connected to the spinning crank, another piston's power stroke pushes it up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by GPatrick
    Since that rod is connected to the spinning crank, another piston's power stroke pushes it up and down.

Assuming engine is off and once u turn the ignition key, engine cranks to start itself right? So the piston would begin its intake stroke, moving itself down the chamber. At that point, what gives the piston force/energy for its motion? Since there is no power stroke as yet.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by aloozer
    Assuming engine is off and once u turn the ignition key, engine cranks to start itself right? So the piston would begin its intake stroke, moving itself down the chamber. At that point, what gives the piston force/energy for its motion? Since there is no power stroke as yet.
    If I understand your question correctly, you are correct to a certain extent. There is no power stroke while the engine is cranking, that is until a sparkplug fires. The ignition system is working while the engine is cranking over, and once a cylinder has fired, the rest of the system is being rotated by the force put out by that one piston. Until that first sparkplug has fired, the entire rotational assembly of the engine is powered by the battery through the starter motor. This is a very simplistic explaination, but this is basically how it works (assuming all aspects of the aforementioned are in correct working order, of course)

Edit: Sorry for the resurection,didn't notice the damm date till I was done typing..
    Last edited by timber; 10-07-2005 at 01:13 PM.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

very good to know, thanks for the article.

excellent article. i have a question for you.
    it is my understanding that as timing is advanced, at WOT, more heat is generated. is that just in the sparkplug or the combustion chamber/engine also?
    is this the same for idle?
    i have heard many say to reduce engine temp at idle to advance the timing. i dont see how this can be, besides, it does not matter as much what the timing is at idle because i dont drive my car at idle. i have a porsche 911 non turbo, yes you will blow my doors off, but thats ok. 911's have a hard time cooling because of oil/air cooling.
    also, i have been test a set of bosch W4 plugs, i was using W7's, with waht seems to be good results, although my oil temps seem to be higher, is this because the extra heat dissapated by the plug is going to the head, althought the head is air cooled, i dont understand why the oil temp is going up.
    thanks in advance and again, great article. i posted a link to on the porsche site.

oh, one other question. you mentioned spark gap, is it good to run as wide a gap as you can. stock 911's have a capacitive discharge ignition, i have an MSD and i have run as much as .065 gap although stock gap is .045.
    Last edited by T77911S; 09-05-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: another question

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.