HELP: high & low RPMs in idle... clueless

This is a discussion on HELP: high & low RPMs in idle... clueless within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just recently in the past few weeks, I've been having problems with the WRX in idle. It'll rev high in ...

HELP: high & low RPMs in idle... clueless

Just recently in the past few weeks, I've been having problems with the WRX in idle. It'll rev high in idle(neutral) to the point where it sounds like I'm rev'ing to launch (highest it's gone up to was a little over 4000rpms). Tapping the gas pedal to see if it'll drop doesn' t work neither. twas funny at the Hardees drive thru!!

At times also, the idle will dip way under a quater of 1000 rpms (engine shut off a few times)... Wonder if the car is going nutz??

I don't want to adjust idle screw controls as i've haven't touched it on the car. Don't know if there is a sensor going or what...Any suggestions/help would be appreciated...
    I must say, AWD is hard to not like!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what are your mods?
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

more than likely a dirty IAC...
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Mods are downpipe, catback exhaust, gauges (egt, oil, & A/F), and turbotimer...

what is an IAC??

idle air control valve
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???

t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, I will try that out some time this week to see if it will help. I will let you all know what results of this. Thanks again.

Well, I cleaned out the IACV. My gasket was ok, but I replaced it anyways.... That seems to have fixed the problem so far... However, I lost boost a few days prior to doing this. I checked the vacuum lines (took apart every one & blew thru everyone to ensure nothing was clogged), Bypass valve looks alright, wastegate actuates only around 0.65 to 0.7 though (stock setting), don't seem to hear the turbo spooling. I have no way of knowing if my turbo is stuck or not. Is there another way I can check without having to take apart the pipes. I can't access the stock air inlet into turbo because there is a metal hose that blocks one allen screw that holds the air inlet onto the manifold. I'm afraid to unplug that metal hose that is blocking the allen screw because I'd hate to screw something worse up...I'm guessing that it is AC compressor line due to some insulation on a similar line. By the way, i have down pipe & exhaust only on car. Everything else is stock. Any help would be appreciated.... I was hoping that by fixing the IACV it might have solved the problem (as I'm sure it might have caused it as well).

I had my car fixed las week due to my no boost & idle rev'ing issue. I had the guys at GRD help. Thanks Chris! My TPS was bad, front O2 needed to be changed (also bad), & the throttle cable wire was dirty (probably main reason for the idle rev'ing isssue-which caused alot of this). The cable being stuck was "BARELY" noticeable. Travel distance to stopping pin was so small but made a difference. As I was driving, I have a feeling the position as to where it was getting stuck would change as I drove & stopped at traffic lights. Cleaned & WD-40'ed the springs & cables on gas & cruise line. I'm just glad it is taken care of & that my WRX drives normal all over again. Hats off to you guys at GRD.