Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobb stage 2 tune

21K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  littleredcrate 
#1 ·
Hey, greeting from Kansas everyone. So I bought a 2016 STI the other day and the guy before me had a Cobb SF intake, ETS extreme cat back and a Cobb accessport currently running 91 Stage two. My question, is it safe to run a stage two like that with no fuel upgrades and with a stock down pipe? Or should I just run that 91+SF? I would rather not mess up my car. Any advice is very much appreciated.
Paul

#3 ·
That's the thing though, I've talked to two different people from Cobb, one over email and one on the phone. One guy told me you can't run the stage two with a stock down pipe and the other guy told me as long as you have a stock down pipe + Cobb Intake or vice versa, you will be fine. I just want to know if anyone has done this without and complications.

#9 ·
There was likely a miscommunication involved. S2 requires an aftermarket turboback exhaust, per the map notes; some people have gotten away with running just an aftermarket downpipe, but if you have issues, Cobb can always simply say you didn't follow the map notes, and that's why you're having problems.

#11 ·
littleredcrate said:
Thanks for the info guys. I put it on the 91+SF and it seems fine besides my peak boost hit 19 and they say that the target should be 17.5. Is that number huge and I should be worried? Should I try running the LWG version?
Not intimately familiar with Cobb mapping for your car, but they generally are [TARGET] +/- 1 PSI. If you're hitting 1.5PSI above target, it might be worthwhile for you to consider the LWG mapping. Read the map notes, though, and see if that variance level is accounted for.

Again, I'm not familiar with how Cobb maps out their tables, but overboosting could put you into load cells that aren't tuned for, and could pose an issue. I would assume that with their canned mappings you should be all set, as they would account for that (especially with S1 mapping), but I would still look to have your car performing as intended. You want your car within the map notes.

#13 ·
littleredcrate said:
I'll look into it more. Granted, that was just off the dash and not actually on my accessport. Tomorrow I'm going to mount it and save some logs.
The info will be the same. The dash pod is reading the ECU like the Cobb AP would.

#17 ·
So I believe your car is properly tuned for the mods you have. Cobbs map notes for the Stage 2 +SF 91 oct tune are a downpipe (catted), and their SF intake. No fueling upgrades are required to run this map with your mods. You have an aftermarket downpipe that is catted, a catback, and cobbs SF intake. Which meets the criteria to run that stage 2 map you currently have installed. All is good.

#19 ·
#23 ·

YES> Crap I didnt see that yours was an STI.
my apologies. you need an STI map. The one I posted is for a reg WRX

#21 ·
OP, call Cobb support. I was not able to find a stage 2 + map on their website for your year STI, which surprises me. For now, reflash the map that was on there before you flashed stage 1+. It's likely that it was correct. Hopefully you didn't delete it already from the AP.

#24 ·
So heres the issue.. I called Cobb today and they told me I can two one of two things. I can keep the intake but get rid of the downpipe and run stage one + SF or keep the down pipe and get rid of the intake but run stage 2. Only thing that sucks is I don't have any of the stock parts since I bought the car from a dealer.

#25 ·
The concern is that the 2015+ STI is highly fuel limited.

They have a Stage 1 + SF and a Stage 2 tune (aftermarket downpipe), however their testing engineers quickly found that the Stage 2 + SF pushed the car past its fueling limits.

Summary: So, where does this leave us? In short, it means that we (COBB Tuning Subaru Experts) are not comfortable offering “Stage2+SF” as a released stage package for the 2015 STI. We know this is likely to disappoint some and confuse others, especially since the package is still offered for the GR vehicles. However, not all is lost. Thanks to our partnership with Injector Dynamics, we are well-positioned to now offer OTS packages that include fueling system upgrades, which have typically been “custom tune only” territory for Subarus. Be on the lookout for an upcoming COMPLETE Stage3 package for 2015 STI that includes fuel system solutions in addition to full turboback and intake hardware!
Taken from here: https://www.cobbtuning.com/2015-sti-development-staged-power-package-evaluation/

This is the reason that they offer a "Stage 3" complete with a fuel system upgrade.

#26 ·
Regarding which setup you should choose to revert to:

Pink line is stage 2, green line is stage 1 + SF.

The Stage1 + SF actually makes more peak horsepower, but the clear curve enhancement is definitely stage 2. I would recommend to source a stock intake box and replace the SF.

#27 ·
Yeah I agree, I'm most likely going to end up buying injectors, fuel pump etc but in the mean time I'll have to get a stock intake and replace the SF. What do you recommend in the mean time until I'm able to purchase it? stage 1+SF or stage 2. I really do not want to damage the engine.

#32 ·
Wrong. Stage 1 +SF is made for an all stock car aside from the SF intake. Stage 2 +SF is a turbo back exhaust plus the SF intake, which you have. Do not run your car on the stage 1 map with an aftermarket downpipe.

#35 ·
If you want to use Cobb's OTS map, you will need to follow the map notes to a T. That means using Cobb's injectors and fpr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.