Subaru WRX Forum banner

Bee r 2 step

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Whyyyyyyyyyy?

#4 ·
It's worth repeating for clarity that the thread subject is a black box with $20 of electric components, and whether that should be connected to the main harness of a $10K car in order to make the car emit flames.

It's truly a credit to the forum that this question remains unanswered. Bravo.

#7 ·
Here we go:

No antilag
No BOV

The smaller, forward/downward facing flames are from the wastegate directly. Only the rear flames are from the main exhaust. The chirping is not a BOV, it's clashing (they'd brake with their left to avoid stalling the compressor and keep the boost up -- and when I say boost I mean pressures exceeding 2 bar).

There weren't any children around at the time. This was for men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I6xq6IJdiQ

#8 ·
I've been thinking about this more and it deserves serious consideration -- I've been following rallying since ca. 1984 or so, and I for the life of me cannot tell apart French former world rally champion Sébastien Loeb from Québécois crooner, Garou -- though admittedly and obviously, both are rather dreamy.

We ought to first sort that out and then see whether a box full of wiring should be used to ruin a road car.

#10 ·
The better cars here (S1, S4, even the relatively un-evolved 037) make less of a show and simply disappear. It's the newer stuff that goes all cartoon style Alka Seltzer pop pop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is.

Note the main steward is apparently either astrophysicist and lead guitarist for rock band Queen, Brian May, or an impostor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tve5oqXNTJg

#12 · (Edited)
"So much power" - Juha Kankkunen

Those were the days. Special stages were 50km+, everyone started off at 10/10ths and then by Timo Salonen's own admission, at the end they were simply trying to finish the stage. Nobody had a posh A/C caravan, they all crashed at the same hotel and the parc fermé would be a roped off car park out back.

Live crowds of 1 million spectators or more.

Nowadays we worry about cars igniting their own flatulence.

Here's an S1 from an old RAC.

Even the Evolution S1 was, frankly, the worst car in Group B. The engine was absolutely idiotically placed incorrectly -- something Subaru are guilty of to this day, incidentally -- and shortening the wheelbase meant what was previously a van was now still a van, but slightly less ponderous. Still, there was now over 1 meter of bodywork out either end of the wheels. They moved the radiators to the back to spread out the weight. Rumour had it that the thing was a bit of a truck, and years later it came out that VAG had conspired to test a correct car -- mid-engined, unlike today's Subarus I'll add once again to rub it in to our y0 WRX 4 lIf3 crowd everywhere. Röhrl drove it behind the Iron Curtain.

Anyway, you can see both the gate and the exhaust pluming in this shot.

Here's a rather animated Walter Röhrl explaining gravitational waves -- or something -- to Michele Mouton as (I believe) Hannu Mikkola and Christian Geistdörfer look on in concern.

Have a good Sunday all, I'm off to make lamb chops. Toodles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.