Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobb AP and Stage 1 Questions

7K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  nsibanez 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a Cobb AP for my 2017 WRX but I want to understand what I am getting into. I want it because I have read it helps with overall performance and a few other benefits such as valet mode(?). If I buy one, what are the cons that i need to be aware of?

I am expecting this will get rid of rev hang and will make it a noticeable mod. I am not expecting a brand new car but I am expecting to feel the benefits of having it when i drive. I know ill need to download a map for whatever octane gas ill use in my area. I am also expecting that I need to mount it and run a wire somewhere? What other benefits am I missing?

What are the cons to be aware of? Dealer wont be happy? I risk blowing up my engine (joke)? I know if I continue down a path of other mods then I start to really put my engine at risk so i am going for a basic improvement thats safe and warranty friendly.

I appreciate the help.

#2 ·
I don't see an advantage in having a $700 target mounted in my car for it to be stolen. Flash your tune, put it away.

Stage 1 I've read conflicting reviews. You will have to try it. There is the possibility after flashing the map that if you have an engine problem warranty coverage will be denied. So keep that in mind

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#21 ·
This is why I asked. I too see no benefit of mounting it, I simply thought i had to do it. Very happy to know I dont.

Thats what I am trying to gauge, is the reward (rev hang eliminated, possible power increase, and valet mode which helps prevent mechanic abuse) worth the very low risk. And Im assuming the risk is very low with no engine mods but technically its there which is why I cant decide if its worth it. I want to take good car of my car and get the most performance out of the stock set up. I know there is risk with any mod and getting confirmation even this one runs the risk of the warranty for pretty wide variety of crap.... tough decision. Also why I was curious about actual benefits too lol.

BrassKnuckles, the only real con you're going to run into is possible warranty claim denial if you have a catastrophic mechanical failure directly related to the fact that your car was tuned.
Im assuming this would be harder for me to prove it wasnt the tunes fault? Odds arent in my favor? And I assume the general tune id be asking this community's help selecting would carry a low risk of providing a bad tune?

No I meant that I had 6500 miles. I installed yesterday and have about 20 miles give or take.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
How has it been? What are your thoughts since this post?

#3 ·
Just installed AP on stock 2017 wrx. It feels like it lost that kick after 2500 rpm for some reason. Did one run and noticed knock on 1st gear as well. Not liking this and thinking about uninstalling it. Will give it a few more days to know for sure...

To make things worse, was researching the AP and found a thread about 2015 wrxs and blown motors...

#4 ·
Just installed AP on stock 2017 wrx. It feels like it lost that kick after 2500 rpm for some reason. Did one run and noticed knock on 1st gear as well. Not liking this and thinking about uninstalling it. Will give it a few more days to know for sure...

To make things worse, was researching the AP and found a thread about 2015 wrxs and blown motors...

You should link your sources

And you sure you're reading your logs right? Some knock is normal and fine depending when

#6 ·
LKP730, You started noticing knock on an engine you previously weren't even monitoring for knock, lol. Subaru engines are notorious for knock, and will hit -2.80 fairly regularly. Often higher on stock tunes, but the numbers will vary.

BrassKnuckles, the only real con you're going to run into is possible warranty claim denial if you have a catastrophic mechanical failure directly related to the fact that your car was tuned.

#17 ·
LKP730, You started noticing knock on an engine you previously weren't even monitoring for knock, lol. Subaru engines are notorious for knock, and will hit -2.80 fairly regularly. Often higher on stock tunes, but the numbers will vary.
+1

The Stage 0 map is supposed to mimic the stock tune. I have one of the earliest 2015's and it has some occasional high knock figures on Stage 0, as well as with the OTS Cobb maps. I rarely see any knock on a custom 94 octane tune whenever I run a log.

The 2015 motor failures are not necessarily Cobb related, though some of those listed have been modded and pushed beyond a basic tune. All brands have a certain percentage of components break under warranty, but it usually is just bad luck or pushing the tune too far (imho). If you are worried about the engine blowing then you should wait for the warranty to expire. Personally I like the quicker throttle response, lower rev hang, linear power throughout the entire usable range (it tails off too early on the stock map), and to top it all off less knock! I don't have any payments on my car though, and can afford a new engine if something goes wrong.

#7 ·
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2749732
15+ blown motor roll call

Irickchad you might be right that I've never noticed knock but I don't think I ever heard knocking on my 2017 wrx before. Maybe because I didn't listen for it but after installing and doing a run it was very apparent. 2nd run was clear of knock though. Maybe the engine corrected itself?

#12 ·
Give it time to adjust, and monitor. Start a new thread and post a log if you have concerns regarding what you are seeing(knock events).

#16 ·
You're not going to HEAR feedback knock unless it's really bad.

If you're driving down the highway and your car is knocking at -4.20 the whole way, you're not going to hear it.

Knock sensors may, you will not. If you hear knock, it's time to rebuild, lol

#24 ·
APPerformance has a stage 1 93 tune as well that is supposed to net about 30hp and tq more than the Cobb stage 1 93 (They have 91 tunes too). Friend bought a 17 and put the COBB stage 1 on and initially didnt like it because the early hit wasnt there but did say he grew to like it and it was a much smoother tune than OEM.

HE got the AP Stage 1 93 a few days ago and said its noticeably stronger than the COBB everywhere. He ran 2 logs so far and no knock but temps are low

#25 ·
I've skimmed through this section and read a few FAQs, but basically the equipment required to install/manage Cobb maps is:

The AccessPort (v3 for a 2017 WRX)
AccessPort-to-ODBC2 cable
Map (freely downloadable)
AccessPort Manager (to upgrade firmware, load/save maps and logs, etc.)

Does this sound right?

#26 ·
The cables come with the AP
you download the manager software to your laptop from COBBs site per the instructions with the AP
Maps are downloadable from COBBs site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.