06 EJ255 AP Datalog Help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06 EJ255 AP Datalog Help within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; SO I recently purchased a 2006 with 160k on the clock and have been running with the AP under a ...

Exclamation 06 EJ255 AP Datalog Help

SO I recently purchased a 2006 with 160k on the clock and have been running with the AP under a tune that I have no clue if it is a proper tune. Seems to run good but based on some reads I have done and some videos I have watched I think this tune may be killing the engine. I get a lot of misfires (Cylinder Roughness) especially on Cyl #4 (Also get a few on 1-3 but not even 1/4 as many on cylinder 4) which after having a Compression/Leakdown test done at a shop shows that Cyl 1-3 are at 148psi while Cyl #4 is at 118 which indicates rings are warn on said cylinder.

Can you guys look at datalogs and guide me in the right direction?

Yes I am reading up on tuning/using AP/Reading datalogs but that will take more time than I have in my situation to understand fully. So I come to more experienced minds for guidance.

From my understanding the "most important" entries to monitor are
    -AF Learning values
    -Fine Knock Learning
    -Feedback Knock Correction
    -Boost
    -AF Sensor Ratio
    -Dynamic Advance Multiplier

IM going to town in a few minutes to log these values and come upload it.It will be a 15-17 mile trip under easy driving conditions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

At 118 that cylinder is near dead. I would assume a bad ring land.

The oxygen sensor data is useless because once it goes from open to closed loop it just reads whatever fuel ratio it's programmed to read.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

Okay so only logged half the trip. From a Cold start until I got to town and shut the engine off.

Thoughts?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A data log is a third gear pull from 2500 rpm to redline. That log would take weeks to read man lol.

All? NO ALL!

Aha, okay. Will go do a 2500-Redline

You have to be careful, if there is a problem that pull could cause it to totally let go.

All? NO ALL!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieClue View Post
    Okay so only logged half the trip. From a Cold start until I got to town and shut the engine off.

Thoughts?
    Aha, okay. Will go do a 2500-Redline

No point, you already know the engine is toast from the compression test results. You shouldn't be driving it until you get the engine repaired/replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    No point, you already know the engine is toast from the compression test results. You shouldn't be driving it until you get the engine repaired/replaced.
    Too late.

For future reference, you're logging way too many parameters.. that will significantly lower the resolution of your data logs making them less useful. Also, you're not logging some of the parameters that are actually needed, like throttle opening angle.

SO I recently purchased a 2006 with 160k on the clock and have been running with the AP under a tune that I have no clue if it is a proper tune.

You haven't said what map you're running, or what modifications the car has.. if your modifications are in line with the map notes for the tune that you're running, then you're running the right tune.. if not, well, then you aren't.

Cobb has the map notes for each off the shelf tune they offer published on their website. If you're running an off the shelf map, you have to have the mods listed in the notes.. no more, no less.

https://cobb.app.box.com/v/06-07-wrx-map-notes

Well for now I do not know what all mods are there. From what I can best tell by looking, it has the stage 2 power from Cobb:
    COBB Tuning - Subaru 06-07 WRX Stage 2+ Power Package with V3

Anywho, it's okay. It's a custom map/tune that it runs now. Guessing it was protuned but not sure. I could not find/get any information on the car as I bought it from a buy here pay here place.

I am going to have the rebuild done. Just need to find someone local that isn't gonna charge me 4k-5k to rebuild a engine when I supply the parts. Being as I have always worked on my own cars and done my own rebuilds, the Subaru Boxer engine is a new area which I am not all too familiar with along with the mazda Rotary.

I think I'm just going to find a cored shortblock, buy the internals, send to a machine shop and have them do the build. Then just swap my Intake, Heads, ect. onto the new build. Either that or find a prebuild (Which I am very skeptical about) and just swap things over.

I really just don't have 4-5k to drop now and it is my only ride so I need the fastest fix option. Suggestions are appreciated.

If reliability is your main concern, I highly suggest buying a new, already assembled, OEM shortblock directly from Subaru. That should run you about $1600 - $1800. Have a reputable shop refresh the heads and install them with all new OEM gaskets and ARP head studs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.