2016 sti pushing low boost
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2016 sti pushing low boost within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I purchased a new 2016 sti last month and put 1300 miles on it all while properly carrying out ...

2016 sti pushing low boost

So I purchased a new 2016 sti last month and put 1300 miles on it all while properly carrying out the break-in procedures. Then started noticing oil spots under the car, lifted it up and sure enough it was already leaking oil from the turbo area. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the whole turbo assembly under warrenty as the car is stock aside from axleback tips. Problem is, I'm now only hitting 11 psi max boost in all 3 modes. Any suggestions before I take it back to the dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Did you give the new turbo time to break in?
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

The techs said that wasn't necessary. But to break the turbo in, would that mean another 1500 miles of easy driving?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkenny10 View Post
    The techs said that wasn't necessary. But to break the turbo in, would that mean another 1500 miles of easy driving?

No.. first thing that needs to be done with a new turbo is to prime it so that there is oil in the cartridge before the engine is started. To do this you simply pull the fuse to the fuel pump (or ignition) and crank the engine for about ten seconds. This must be done BEFORE the engine is started with the new turbo installed. As soon as the engine fires up it starts spinning the turbine and will cause damage to the turbo if it hasn't already been primed. I would prime the turbo three or four times before starting the engine, then let it sit and idle for 20-30 minutes.. after that, try not to go WOT for a couple hundred miles. After 200 or so miles it should be good to go.

Home of the blues, the Blues, and the real life blues.
    Definitely take it back to the dealership ASAP.

Update for you guys: took it back to the dealer expecting it to need a new turbo or related component, turns out they simply forgot to reconnect the vacuum tubing. Took only a few minutes to correct.

zax
    Update for you guys: took it back to the dealer expecting it to need a new turbo or related component, turns out they simply forgot to reconnect the vacuum tubing. Took only a few minutes to correct.
    WTH? That is unacceptable.

It could have been much worse, and that's the problem. Negligence.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Now chock-full of more subforums! |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Home of the blues, the Blues, and the real life blues.
    **** happens. I'm glad it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    WTH? That is unacceptable.

It could have been much worse, and that's the problem. Negligence.

For real.. forgetting to connect the vacuum lines? That could have been a blown engine 100 yards from their parking lot.

Yeah that's a pretty major thing to leave disconnected, try and guilt them into some free routine maintenance unless of course you're afraid they might not put the drain plug back in after an oil change lol
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.